Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
I remember turning into a raptor and ignoring all the trash gameplay!

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
That new DX11 renderer actually lifts this utter garbage engine into 60fps territory in Khorinth! Wow!
Except in buldings where the old culling actually helped...
And except that it makes some things invisible sometimes...
And except that the dynamic lighting has like 3 states and you see the shadows jump 45 degrees loool
AND most of all, an absolutley insane shadows banding an flimmer that is even on your char!

me after pressing WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW for 10 minutes recently
RK7g0EC.jpg

Pentium

Learned
The NPC schedules are not nearly as ambitious as those of Oblivion
Well, Gothic - 2001, Oblivion - 2006

but they work, and combined with all the different animations, it greatly adds to the atmosphere of the game. I really loved the gathering around the bonfire at night in the Old Camp when one of the diggers would start playing the guitar.
"YAAAAAAWWWWWN New day and nothing has changed."

you start as a weakling and have to choose your early battles carefully
Or the WTF one-hit-dead moment when you think you're gonna exp a little bit on the funny bees flying around the river on your first way to Old Camp.

But I think Gothic's Chapter 1 was rather boring and lasted too long, but I guess that was partly due to me postponing joining a faction as long as possible.
For me it was probably the best part actually and I also spinned it out as much as possible. I was really enjoying myself being a new meat in the colony where (almost) everyone treats you like shit and for most creatures you're but a fitting snack and trying to figure it all out - what the camps are about, which one to join, exploring the surroundings etc.

The final battle was also confusing. Are the novices supposed to just sit there, for example?
Well in my experience I can't imagine how I would've done without the Wave of Death spell (GOG version + System Pack).

Exploration, since there's really not much to find.
Yes, but I really enjoyed the exprolration part either way. You can literally climb the fucking mountains - even less to nothing up there but you can at least enjoy the view and freedom that rarely any games give you in this regard.

Also, the game assumes you don't explore too widely, since you will be sent to those "unknown" parts later.
The game doesn't let you to go too far in the beginning in the first place because you're usually a one hit target for many enemies at that point, don't even think of crossing the border to the orcish territories. But you're still pretty free the explore the southern regions if you can avoid creatures or are ready to hightail it if necessary. I remember when I got to the entrace of the orc cemetary and wondered what that was all about. I assumed it was yet to show it's true face later on and was glad I wasn't wrong.

Simplistic combat. Except for some Golems only being affected by hammers, the only weapon types that have different effects are melee and missile. No crushing vs slashing or piercing for example.
Those were my thoughts exactly, the weapons were pretty lame in this regard but just as many things in Gothic I understand this the way that the world is simply too small and limited to use such RPG elements to their full potential. For different damage types you would also need different armor types etc. But the combat system seems good enough to me. Instead of only rising your dmg or accuracy with skill points, the skill levels add a whole new quality to it - more effective weapon use overall with new combos, new spells becoming available etc. And it relies on the player's skill as well even to the point where your own skill can compensate for your char's low skill. I remeber there was an Orc Scout in the grove before Khorinis in G2 that my char was still too much of a weakling to just rush at him and hammer him down. I was trying to get him for like 30 minutes or so trying out every possible strategy I could come up with - sneaking, retreating, using spells. Finally I managed to beat that bitch to death with my sword in an exhasuting duel. And I knew how to actually fight with a sword in the game from that point on.

Very limited equipment. No helmets and shields, only armour, melee weapon, missiles weapon, one amulet and two rings. And most of the best equipment comes from shops and only becomes gradually available with each chapter.
Same as above, too limited world to actually make a use of such nuances (note that armours don't even have any reqs such as str). And I accpeted the chapter based avalibility as well. In fact I think it was the best solution possible considering the way the game is desgined. Otherwise it would require to introduce requirmetns for armours as mentioned above along with some fancy economy to prevent getting them too early and breaking the game which the game is not designed for either. Dungeon based rewards aren't the best idea for a game of such a small scale also taking into account the fact that the game doesn't load most interiors separately.

Shit, nearly died of hunger typing this novel.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gothic is amazing.

To be fair, at the time Kotor was amazing. This is something to discuss, for sure. It would make for an excellent video essey.

Kotor was amazing for different reasons though (3D storytelling mostly). Not much point comparing the two. Although...

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Actually Gothic storytelling among other things is also amazing as it happens right before your eyes via living through the conflict that happens in the prison/island and you being amidst it. No boring lore dumps via NPCs, you learn the lore while travarsing the world and involving in local conflicts, getting brief cues from npcs and environment.

Cat Dude

Savant
Probably the game has the worst combat animation in action rpg history. What even worse is that every action rpg developer in the west seems to be so keen to copy that shit. If you see any western developed action rpg with horrible combat animation you can tell where they got the inspiration from.

Silly Germans

Pretty much every quest feels like it has its place in the world without being imposed just to increase the content of the game. I am replaying it right now, and not a single quest felt out of place, so far. They all made sense and were excellently embedded into the setting. This is one of the best features of Gothic in my opinion.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Silly Germans

I wrote a guide for lazy people who don't want to bother looking stuff up themselves:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2201586820

I managed to find the stuff myself when i installed it for my current replay but good job none the less. Are you also writing one for Gothic 2 ?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2208198204
Good job again, just a little bit to late. I've started last week with Gothic 2. Does the game process end properly for you when you quit Gothic 2 or do you also have to kill it via the process manager ? Otherwise it runs fairly smoothly for me.

Konjad

Patron
I wrote a guide for lazy people who don't want to bother looking stuff up themselves:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2201586820

I managed to find the stuff myself when i installed it for my current replay but good job none the less. Are you also writing one for Gothic 2 ?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2208198204
Good job again, just a little bit to late. I've started last week with Gothic 2. Does the game process end properly for you when you quit Gothic 2 or do you also have to kill it via the process manager ? Otherwise it runs fairly smoothly for me.
Works properly, no need to kill anything.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

1:15:12 - heh interesting, Mike was still working away on Spacetime when this stream aired.

Dude should just fuck off the publishers all together and go start a crowdfunded campaign with Rosenkranz. Would be a good time for it now.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/app/39510/discussions/0/3187992943275505403/

MegalomaniacNG
[developer] 20 hours ago

https://steamcommunity.com/app/65540/workshop/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/39510/workshop/

We updated the build to include our workshop/mod launcher. This is right now this is in a branch. You can access it like this: https://media.thqnordic.com/TEMP/SteamBetaBranchGuide.jpg
Under Step 6 select the workshop branch (you need to be in properties of Gothic 1 or 2). The branch doesnt require a password.

We created a guide for using these tools here:

Steam Workshop Guide for Gothic 1 & Gothic 2
A Guide for Gothic 1 Classic
By: Szmyk
Getting started with publishing mods for Steam Workshop of Gothic 1 & Gothic 2 games

We appreciate the modding community of Gothic a lot and we hope to make it more accessible for more players with this.

May the Sleeper awaken!

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Is there any other rpg that handles npc's as well as Gothic1/2? The dialogue is spot on and natural; no lore dumps or pointless clicking through dialogue trees. Its great that some of them follow their own "quests" and change locations as the game progresses. Meeting them at different spots as they do their own thing is always a nice surprise. Its one of the few games that manages to leave you with an impression that npcs have their own character. This adds enormously to the setting and exploration. Playing Dragons Dogma which is severely lacking in this department made it clear to me that this is one of the features that makes Gothic stand out as rpg.

curds

Magister
Is there any other rpg that handles npc's as well as Gothic1/2? The dialogue is spot on and natural; no lore dumps or pointless clicking through dialogue trees. Its great that some of them follow their own "quests" and change locations as the game progresses. Meeting them at different spots as they do their own thing is always a nice surprise. Its one of the few games that manages to leave you with an impression that npcs have their own character.
Dark Souls. Gothic does it better, though.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Is there any other rpg that handles npc's as well as Gothic1/2? The dialogue is spot on and natural; no lore dumps or pointless clicking through dialogue trees. Its great that some of them follow their own "quests" and change locations as the game progresses. Meeting them at different spots as they do their own thing is always a nice surprise. Its one of the few games that manages to leave you with an impression that npcs have their own character.
Dark Souls npc questlines are a joke.They extremely lack detail but people think of this as subtletly.

curds

Magister
Dark Souls npc questlines are a joke.They extremely lack detail but people think of this as subtletly.
I'm merely bringing up the fact that they move around the game world and appear to have their own goals and motives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom