Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline GOTY 2023 Games List discussion

Good luck to everyone who votes. Like always I am behind with games, but when I will do a catch up I will have a handy guide thanks to you all :)

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If BG3 wins it's joever for codex. :(
Why? It's not like previous GOTY threads didn't have some bad (or all bad) games on TOP 3. If anything, it just shows that despite complain about triple A games, most codex user still prefer to play triple A games.
We had a lot of nice indies. If BG wins that must mean people here value production values more than anything else and we've become another reddit / resetera.

Viata

Arcane
We had a lot of nice indies.
Yes, but unless all the X people that played a given indie game and gave it a 5, the games with most votes are still the ones winning. For every 1 user that played "x game", more than 20 users played BG3. Just compare the number of posts every indie game thread has with the number of posts every "game from some big dev" has and also how many threads each of those games get. At the end of the day, despite indie games been far more interesting nowadays, more so the cRPG ones, many users still prefer good 3D graphics. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
So to celebrate this unique and wildly anticipated time of the year:

xdQDlzM.jpeg

or this?

nzmCVnF.jpeg

4VQtaeM.jpeg
#2 for sure

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't see FIFA, Madden, nor Forza Horizon 5. WTF.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The poll is up already? Gave my only 5s to Caves of Lore and Jagged Alliance 3 (which imo was more of a 4.x, but whatever, I rounded up).

:salute::salute:

Best of luck, hoping for an upset.

Viata

Arcane
First time I had more than 0 games to vote, sadly all the games I voted I have not played last year, but when they were first released on consoles.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
For the first time I actually have lots of games to vote for - I completed 5 games from 2023 and played another one long enough to grade, despite not finishing it.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Rogue Trader and JA3 are absolute 5! Made this year for me. Caves of Lore was an unexpected surprise. Some nice DlCs like Heavy Duty and King of Nothing. Diablo 4 provided a relatively satisfying single player campaign. While Colony Ship was a pure disappointment. All and all not a TERRIBLE year for RPG genre. As Harrim from Kingmaker used to say "Could have been worse. And will be, definitely will be."

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
If BG3 wins it's joever for codex. :(
Why? It's not like previous GOTY threads didn't have some bad (or all bad) games on TOP 3. If anything, it just shows that despite complain about triple A games, most codex user still prefer to play triple A games.
We had a lot of nice indies. If BG wins that must mean people here value production values more than anything else and we've become another reddit / resetera.
It was always like that, 2019 top RPGs list makes it it very clear

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gave 5s to Jagged Alliance 3, SpellForce: Conquest of Eo and The Last Spell. All of those games surpised me TBH and had really fun with them all.
Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees, Lies of P and Remnant 2 are the other ones I had really fun but they don't deserve 5s IMHO.
So many small indie games, so little time. I miss my days in collage where I had all the time in the world...

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I gave 5s to Phantom Liberty, because it was a very good addition to CP2077, Space Wreck and Heads Will Roll: Reforged, because cool indies need all the visibility they can get!

4 to Colony Ship, which was okay, but less than what I expected.

3 to Starfield (aggressively mediocre) and Knights of the Cross. I'd give it 2 if not for the setting based on Polish historical novel from 1897; on the other hand if it was not based on this novel most likely I wouldn't play it at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom