Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Grand Theft Auto VI - PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S (Fall 2025)

Vatnik Wumao
I prefer the design philosophy of earlier GTA titles (from 3 onwards) where the protagonist's social background gave each game in the series a distinct flavor. GTA V diluted that by having three protagonists and to me they appear as being three distinct possible iterations for the game that might've been originally considered by Rockstar which ended up being mixed together to create what we've actually got with GTA V.

Should've just picked one of them and perhaps kept the other two as NPCs tied to some quests imho. And I would've preferred the sole protagonist to be Michael personally since a game centered on Franklin would've been too much of a SA rehash and a Trevor-centered game would've been too wacky (unless they focused on him being mentally ill rather than just playing his psychotic behavior for laughs, but I doubt that they would've had the balls to do that justice beyond a scene or two as was the case with that torture scene which generated a mediatic shitstorm anyway). That and I also dig his similarities in personality and mindset to Tony Soprano.

Machocruz

Arcane
R peaked during PS2/Xbox. GTA 3 trilogy, The Warriors, Bully, Manhunt, Max Payne, etc. Even if you accept that GTAV and RDR2 are good, the variety is only going to suffer more and more because of the amount of time these huge games take now.

SlamDunk

Arcane
How pozzed will it be?
cCLjetO.png

I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

kotor2

every mission was

listen to 10 mins of uninteresting banter
then some combination of
fight endless amount of trash mobs
more boring dialogue
bad mini game section

see how easy it is?

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The greatest mystery for me is why people still like Rockstar games, they are just like you getting to the front of a house, from the outside, it looks like a really good house, but as soon as you pass through the door, you notice it was just some cardboard prop on a scaffolding of styrofoam just made to look impressive from outside but with zero substance in the inside.
Red dead 2 was fantastic, one of the best single player stories and main character I have played in years.

orcinator

Liturgist
The greatest mystery for me is why people still like Rockstar games, they are just like you getting to the front of a house, from the outside, it looks like a really good house, but as soon as you pass through the door, you notice it was just some cardboard prop on a scaffolding of styrofoam just made to look impressive from outside but with zero substance in the inside.
Red dead 2 was fantastic, one of the best single player stories and main character I have played in years.
Go outside.

I'm glad we are all recognizing the truth of kotor > kotor2
i've always has the feeling 2 was trying too hard to be 2deep4u instead of just being enjoyable, but i might be wrong on that, who knows. the real deal killer is the planets, they're the most uninteresting, dullest, most boring places i've ever virtually visited.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm glad we are all recognizing the truth of kotor > kotor2
i've always has the feeling 2 was trying too hard to be 2deep4u instead of just being enjoyable, but i might be wrong on that, who knows. the real deal killer is the planets, they're the most uninteresting, dullest, most boring places i've ever virtually visited.
half the planets you visit in kotor 2 just look like "generic green planet with trees"
nar shaddaa was cool tho and easily the highlight of the game for me
idk I think if you're going to make a game where you visit different planets, you should never go with ones that look like an earth forest. Even limiting yourself to the star wars movies is a bad idea because they're constrained by real life filming locations.

I liked kotor locations a lot more overall which is the main thing I look for in a space game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Problem is that if Kotor 2 was like GTA V, invisible walls of death would be the end boss instead of Kreia. Also, if you did a wrong turn on Malachor 5, you were dead and had to restart the mission all over again.

deuxhero

Arcane
I prefer the design philosophy of earlier GTA titles (from 3 onwards) where the protagonist's social background gave each game in the series a distinct flavor. GTA V diluted that by having three protagonists and to me they appear as being three distinct possible iterations for the game that might've been originally considered by Rockstar which ended up being mixed together to create what we've actually got with GTA V.

Should've just picked one of them and perhaps kept the other two as NPCs tied to some quests imho. And I would've preferred the sole protagonist to be Michael personally since a game centered on Franklin would've been too much of a SA rehash and a Trevor-centered game would've been too wacky (unless they focused on him being mentally ill rather than just playing his psychotic behavior for laughs, but I doubt that they would've had the balls to do that justice beyond a scene or two as was the case with that torture scene which generated a mediatic shitstorm anyway). That and I also dig his similarities in personality and mindset to Tony Soprano.

Multiple protags could work if they were strongly tied to each other. A Bonnie and Clyde couple for instance.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hope the humour in GTA6 will PUNCH UP instead of DOWN.
I hope I will get to PUNCH IN ALL DIRECTIONS whoever came up with that witty metaphor.

As for the game itself, Rockstar isn't saying any more right now, or committing to when it will say more.
Leave it to journos to refer to single persons as "they/them" but to huge organisations as "it". All the English MA diploma is worth is one ass wipe.

Last edited:

SlamDunk

Arcane
Yes, it is fantastic on many levels, but the main story is shit. Also, the main story and side missions suck for the most part with the same ultra-simple gameplay formula repeated over and over again, just in different ways.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Yes, it is fantastic on many levels, but the main story is shit. Also, the main story and side missions suck for the most part with the same ultra-simple formula repeated over and over again.
I suspect them coming out and saying that it's becoming harder to do a satire type of story like GTA5, might be influenced by how well received the darker more realistic story of RDR2 was.

Personally I would love to see a "heat" type of story in a GTA game, with two characters, one a cop and one a criminal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom