Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Graphics Fags

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
simping for graphics, pathetic

edit: he deleted his post lmao cuck

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
Plus you can hardly consider AA solved because uniform AA across the whole screen is naive, youd want 16x AA precisely where you look and less elsewhere. And if such partial AA is unsolved you can't really have top down camera all that much because zoom out just stops working, subtle AoE ground effects stop working ( already an issue in path of exile).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
"pixel art" leaves me viscerally unmoved (though I can appreciate it from an aesthetic point of view).

There's a big difference between fag "Pixel art" every indie game has vs. An old game with graphical limitations but unique visuals & good art direction

Also 2+ decade different from Fallout to BG3 so weird examples you chose

Yeah that was a typo, changed.

Must one pay eternally for one's typo sins in this forum? :)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
3D was well established by NWN's release in what 2002? Early 3D is ~94-98 IMO.
Early 3D is Battlezone and Arcticfox:

16791562-battlezone-arcade-title-attract-mode.png
16791583-battlezone-arcade-a-supertank-closing-fast.png

3Nnh2oL.png
ourcDp4.png

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have two 1080p screens, a 1080p laptop, a 1080p TV, and I will never, ever, upgrade to 4K because that's just bullshit.

ds

Cipher
Patron
I have two 1080p screens, a 1080p laptop, a 1080p TV, and I will never, ever, upgrade to 4K because that's just bullshit.
There can be two reasons for upgrading the screen resolution, one is increasing the pixel density and the other is to increase the screen area without decreasing the pixel density.

Personally I think the latter is really great for immersion (for first/third-person games) as it allows you to cover a larger portion of your field of view. And I also like being able to see larger parts of the map at once for 2D games. That's why I have a 38" 3840×1600 pixel screen which, while as many pixels wide as a "4K", only has slightly smaller pixels than your average 1080p screen - so essentially like two 1080p screens but without any bezel in between and a bit more height. How well this works out depends on the game of course (many developers seem to have problems understanding the concept of Hor+) but worse case I just let the game itself run at a lower resolution.

High pixel density gives more diminishing returns pretty quickly but it can be nice for accurately emulating CRT displays so that older games look closer to how they did when new. Or just as brute-force anti-aliasing.

This is all of course independent from the graphical details of the games themselves. Even low poly games look nice when rendered at a high resolution IMO.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Personally I think the latter is really great for immersion (for first/third-person games) as it allows you to cover a larger portion of your field of view. And I also like being able to see larger parts of the map at once for 2D games. That's why I have a 38" 3840×1600 pixel screen which, while as many pixels wide as a "4K", only has slightly smaller pixels than your average 1080p screen - so essentially like two 1080p screens but without any bezel in between and a bit more height. How well this works out depends on the game of course (many developers seem to have problems understanding the concept of Hor+) but worse case I just let the game itself run at a lower resolution.
There's a point where your screen gets too big to view all of it at once. You want a screen that suits your viewing distance or you end up seeing a more detailed thumb nail rather than the whole picture.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
simping for graphics, pathetic

edit: he deleted his post lmao cuck

I posted it in the wrong thread you fucking idiot. You're so dumb you didn't realize how off topic it was? Yeah, makes sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom