Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Graphics Fags

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
How many fag butt fuckers need a game to look and feel modern to enjoy it, please raise your hand.

Lemming42

Arcane
Imagine caring about the visual aspect of an audiovisual medium! Couldn't be me. I only care about gameplay, and I actually get annoyed when that gameplay is being presented to me through visuals. I wear a blindfold and have an advanced AI describe the visuals to me verbally, so as not to taint my own eyes and mind with """"graphics"""". Fallout was a good game, but the only thing I liked about it was clicking the cursor to shoot enemies when it said "95%". I didn't like the setting, or the graphics, or the art style, or the music, or the story, or the characters, or the dialogue, because those things don't matter to me: I'm a gameplay man.

I feel the same about movies, of course. I retch with revulsion when I see things actually happening on screen during a film. I close my eyes and appreciate them as monocled radio dramas - though I also hate story, of course, so I scream loudly like a wounded bird over the dialogue so as not to waste my time with trifles such as "plot". And don't get me started on music - I can't stand when music relies entirely on "audio" and "instruments" and "vocals".

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
Imagine caring about the visual aspect of an audiovisual medium! Couldn't be me. I only care about gameplay, and I actually get annoyed when that gameplay is being presented to me through visuals. I wear a blindfold and have an advanced AI describe the visuals to me verbally, so as not to taint my own eyes and mind with """"graphics"""". Fallout was a good game, but the only thing I liked about it was clicking the cursor to shoot enemies when it said "95%". I didn't like the setting, or the graphics, or the art style, or the music, or the story, or the characters, or the dialogue, because those things don't matter to me: I'm a gameplay man.

I feel the same about movies, of course. I retch with revulsion when I see things actually happening on screen during a film. I close my eyes and appreciate them as monocled radio dramas - though I also hate story, of course, so I scream loudly like a wounded bird over the dialogue so as not to waste my time with trifles such as "plot". And don't get me started on music - I can't stand when music relies entirely on "audio" and "instruments" and "vocals".

Amen.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Good art design in a game is timeless. It's all about targeting the hardware of of the time to create an appealing image. Just because we have trillions of polygons now doesn't make Doom look any less visually appealing to me. On the other hand, I see a lot of game graphics receiving praise even when they fail to come together and create a coherent and pleasing image overall ("modder graphics"). Something like Oblivion was praised for its advanced graphics in its day, but it was an overall mess despite getting some aspects of the image right it was incoherent. Time tends to filter out games like that.
I am getting more interested on how rendering as achieved on a technical level and I enjoy learning how games achieved the graphics they did whether it's a 1993 or 2023 title. Deus Ex looks visually pleasing to me, as do Crysis, Arkham Knight, Ghostwire Tokyo, and that new Avatar thing.
But of course there are also plenty of games I love but would find difficult to describe the graphics as particularly visually appealing, and unappealing graphics are not much of a barrier of entry to me unless the art style itself is repulsive.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
What's wrong with a game being entirely based around visual spectacle? The point of this hobby is to have experiences we enjoy. Some times that's a grindy RPG with pixel graphics from the 80s and some times it's a modern game where visuals carry the whole game. A game like Limbo or Inside has very little depth to it's game play but the adventure and set pieces make it an enjoyable experience. You don't have to pigeon hole yourself into only playing ugly with the best possible game play or beautiful games with none. As long as they're enjoyable experiences for you who gives a fuck?

Proteus is an early walking sim with pretty ugly graphics and very little gameplay depth. But as an experience I thought it was great. You have a constant sense of discovery and wonder. It's something I would recommend people try even if it's neither good in gameplay or visuals. There's value in an experience that's worth having if that's top of the line Unreal engine or Ascii art among pages of text. A good experience is more than the sum of it's parts, a bad one is much less.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I'm kind of shading into being a graphics whore. I can't really deal with graphics older than BG/Fallout period, "pixel art" leaves me viscerally unmoved (though I can appreciate it from an aesthetic point of view).

I only got into gaming with the (then cutting-edge and realistic-looking) graphics of Doom, prior to that games had gone over my head, so I'm kind of in it for the realism to some extent.

It narrows my range of playable games quite a lot, beause while lots of modern games look nice graphically, a lot of them are shit, and I can't play the really old ones, so ...

Last edited:

Iucounu

Educated
How many fag butt fuckers need a game to look and feel modern to enjoy it, please raise your hand.
What does "modern" mean here --current year, decade or century?

I believe graphics hype is largely fuelled by the video card market. Unfortunately the visual improvements seem to become smaller for every new game/hardware generation, which should result in fewer and fewer PC gamers willing to buy today's expensive video cards.

The Decline

Arcane
Graphics, including animations, just have to look pleasing aesthetically and not necessarily bleeding edge for me. Style is by far the most important aspect.

Depends how "modern" is defined. There's a sweet spot. I feel most 3D games and ultra realistic is mostly a mistake.
(For simulations like flight simulators however this might be desirable).
Yet I don't like games that are fake retro either. That's missing the point entirely. I don't like fake isometric art, that is 3D isometric.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I like balanced visuals. Some of these modern games have so many effects layered in and clutter everywhere that you can't see what the fuck is going on. I think Doom Eternal looks great, but I'm perfectly happy with Thief level of detail in FPS games. I generally prefer 2d overhead view and art style for strategy and RPGs. Really good pixel art doesn't have to be very detailed to be appealing. Because of that, I can play 16 bit era games and be content. Visually, I think the most enjoyable 3D RPG I've played is Bloodlines and that game is 20 years old.

Zlaja

Arcane
I still remember how amazed I was when I first saw Soul Calibur in motion on Dreamcast. Haven't had a similar sensation from any game in the last 15 or so years.

ds

Cipher
Patron
I believe graphics hype is largely fuelled by the video card market. Unfortunately the visual improvements seem to become smaller for every new game/hardware generation, which should result in fewer and fewer PC gamers willing to buy today's expensive video cards.
Unfortunately?

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I still remember how amazed I was when I first saw Soul Calibur in motion on Dreamcast. Haven't had a similar sensation from any game in the last 15 or so years.
That game still looks great. It even looks better than the PS2 version. The Dreamcast was an incredibly underrated system.

DemonKing

Arcane
I can still enjoy most 90s era games but trying to go back earlier to 80s stuff rarely works for me these days. The rudimentary graphics and (usually) clunky control schemes just don't do it for me like they did back in the day.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Mario 64 did that to me, then Sonic adventure blew it out of the water. The gamecube has a very similar quality where it really made stuff look good. Baiten katos or whatever it's called has the best smoke effects I've seen in any game ever. Far beyond even more games.
That game still looks great. It even looks better than the PS2 version. The Dreamcast was an incredibly underrated system.
Weren't most PS2 games downgrades?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom