Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Greed Monger Insider Thread (drama inside)

GM_JamesPro

Savant
How is THIS all you have to show for 3 years and over 100 THOUSAND DOLLARS?

Us trolls have been waiting- And this is all you have shown.

And why were the videos you used during the Kickstarter in far better condition than what you are showing us years later. Looked better, spells worked, etc... How is it that the game is in far worse of a state than when you were begging for money to fund it?

EDIT- Also note that its not worth saying "It wasnt me- it was jason Appleton"- That ship sailed YEARS ago. That fucking excuse is over. Appletons been gone essentially since the check cleared. YOUR name is on the Kickstarer. YOU keep playing Mr. "Lead programmer" and YOU keep defending everything . You're it buddy. Until Appleton crawls out from the rock he hiding under.

While Kickstarter was happening THIS was what was being shown. Even on your forum a backer was showing what was shown at kickstart and asking "what the fuck happened ?" Where is THIS game?
greed_monger_screenshot_03.jpg

horsepreview-2012-11-13-11-20-59-04_t.jpg

greed_monger_screenshot_02.jpg

Greed-Monger-screenshot-6.jpg

-How the fuck do you guys have that to show while begging for money and promising an Alpha in a few months - and now , 3 years and a Hundred thousand dollars later (still not even in alpha) it looks worse? After all the time and money supposedly spent. After having a "team" at one point? How old are these pics , james? Why does that video represent the current state when it looked better at KS? You guys played it up too- Like "if itlooks this good and we arent even in Alpha- Just wait!"

Fuckers.

The last Screenshot here was created AFTER our KS Campaign. That was going to be our actual world. However when it came time to start paging in the terrain at the view distances we needed Unity's performance just wasn't good enough. I was getting between 10 and 20 FPS with just my avatar and the terrain and nothing else which is unacceptable. So we have had to rework the terrain... Tone it down some in order to get the performance needed. It's all a balancing act between performance and Graphics. I think with the optimizations and Graphical Enhancements in Unity 5 we will be able to do much more then what we could with Unity 4 and SpeedTree will really enhance the Foliage.

Here are some other Screenshots from that old world actually in game instead of just in the editor view like the above...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

As for us using Icons stolen from other games we hired a 2d texture artist to custom create all of our icons. We gave them examples for the style of Icons but they were all Custom Made.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
And James... You supposedly are paying people. remember THIS post?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/429764/page/5

"lol wow and as for your comment about if I should get money... YOU may be a small hobby Project but we AREN'T. It takes money to develop a Commercially Viable MMO. Do you have a Server your renting? Do you have a team that requires Pay? Are you using Custom Models that costs money to buy or have Developed Custom? And for the Record when we started out and Launched our KickStarter we were NOT using Atavism. We did our KickStarter long before Atavism came on the scene. And something else for the record I am Volunteer... I have Seen VERY little of the KickStarter money. I am working on GM Full Time Volunteer because I believe in the Game and Vision we are trying to build and I believe in our Community and all of our KickStarter backers and I WANT more then anything to give them the game they deserve and bought into. "

-
Who are you paying and what team do you have when you just said the team"walked away"- Why is the lead Programmer (you) not being paid but you are paying others? Whos funding it? And why rent servers when jason Appleton already had $50,000 in dedicated servers for this game?

No one is being paid at the moment... We have out side "Contractors" that we hire to do very specific projects as the need arises. We paid around $20,000 to the guy who created our Custom Housing Modules. We have a world builder who worked on our old world who we paid so much to per climate that he did. We have 3d modelers, animators, and riggers who we hired to do some specific tasks. We hired the texture artist / UI Artist to create our UI and Icons. Our lead Programmer before I took over also had a deal with Jason to get paid but I'm not sure if he ever actually saw any money since he left pretty quickly after joining.

Like I said the team that was going to be focusing on GM that MMOI was going to be providing all fell apart... I'm the only one still working. We do still have our team of QA Testers and my self which is the team I now refer to. We also have the contact info for these out side contractors that we can and will hire as needed to do specific stuff that I can NOT do.

I am not being paid because I joined strictly as a Volunteer with the understanding that I would be getting a percentage of the Profits once the game launched... I originally joined though as nothing more then a AI Programmer which is what I believe I'm listed as on our KS Campaign. I was right away thrown into doing more then what I originally signed up to do in order to get our KS Campaign launched.

Jason is still funding GM. He pays for the servers and he pays for anything we need to license or buy.

As for Servers we do have $50,000 worth of Servers sitting in a storage unit at a co-lo facility... Well atleast it was $50,000 worth of Servers when they were bought... Now they are nothing but trash. They are highly under powered for our needs and the cost of renting the space at the Co-lo Facility is through the roof... We were paying $600 per month for a single one of the Servers to be online and the package came with VERY little bandwidth not nearly enough for our potential needs. It was asked by someone why we didn't go with Cloud hosting... At the time I knew very little about cloud hosting. None of my projects before GM had been funded so I didn't have the money to rent servers. I always just used my personal Computer to host my servers on. So I had never looked into all of the latest Server tech out there. Jason wanted 100% guarantee that at the end of the month he wouldn't be stuck with some huge bill and I couldn't give him that. However when we discovered that the Servers we had were under powered and so expensive to run we started looking into other hosting. We found togglebox which is cloud hosting like Amazon. We were able to get 8 cores, 64 gigs of ram, 50 tb of bandwidth per month, and I believe 50tb of hard drive space for $400 per month. We talked to their support and Jason was convinced by the end so we bought it. That package was WAY more then what we had with our own Servers and was $200 less per month. That package was also way more then we needed at the time so we have since gone with Amazon and we are paying $50 to $100 per month now for a mid sized Server Instance. The Servers Jason owned were bought back in the early 2000s for a project he was going to be starting with a Friend... The project never happened or failed so he had the Servers sitting collecting dust...

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
And James... You supposedly are paying people. remember THIS post?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/429764/page/5

"lol wow and as for your comment about if I should get money... YOU may be a small hobby Project but we AREN'T. It takes money to develop a Commercially Viable MMO. Do you have a Server your renting? Do you have a team that requires Pay? Are you using Custom Models that costs money to buy or have Developed Custom? And for the Record when we started out and Launched our KickStarter we were NOT using Atavism. We did our KickStarter long before Atavism came on the scene. And something else for the record I am Volunteer... I have Seen VERY little of the KickStarter money. I am working on GM Full Time Volunteer because I believe in the Game and Vision we are trying to build and I believe in our Community and all of our KickStarter backers and I WANT more then anything to give them the game they deserve and bought into. "

-
Who are you paying and what team do you have when you just said the team"walked away"- Why is the lead Programmer (you) not being paid but you are paying others? Whos funding it? And why rent servers when jason Appleton already had $50,000 in dedicated servers for this game?

No one is being paid at the moment... We have out side "Contractors" that we hire to do very specific projects as the need arises. We paid around $20,000 to the guy who created our Custom Housing Modules. We have a world builder who worked on our old world who we paid so much to per climate that he did. We have 3d modelers, animators, and riggers who we hired to do some specific tasks. We hired the texture artist / UI Artist to create our UI and Icons. Our lead Programmer before I took over also had a deal with Jason to get paid but I'm not sure if he ever actually saw any money since he left pretty quickly after joining.

Like I said the team that was going to be focusing on GM that MMOI was going to be providing all fell apart... I'm the only one still working. We do still have our team of QA Testers and my self which is the team I now refer to. We also have the contact info for these out side contractors that we can and will hire as needed to do specific stuff that I can NOT do.

I am not being paid because I joined strictly as a Volunteer with the understanding that I would be getting a percentage of the Profits once the game launched... I originally joined though as nothing more then a AI Programmer which is what I believe I'm listed as on our KS Campaign. I was right away thrown into doing more then what I originally signed up to do in order to get our KS Campaign launched.

Jason is still funding GM. He pays for the servers and he pays for anything we need to license or buy.

As for Servers we do have $50,000 worth of Servers sitting in a storage unit at a co-lo facility... Well atleast it was $50,000 worth of Servers when they were bought... Now they are nothing but trash. They are highly under powered for our needs and the cost of renting the space at the Co-lo Facility is through the roof... We were paying $600 per month for a single one of the Servers to be online and the package came with VERY little bandwidth not nearly enough for our potential needs. It was asked by someone why we didn't go with Cloud hosting... At the time I knew very little about cloud hosting. None of my projects before GM had been funded so I didn't have the money to rent servers. I always just used my personal Computer to host my servers on. So I had never looked into all of the latest Server tech out there. Jason wanted 100% guarantee that at the end of the month he wouldn't be stuck with some huge bill and I couldn't give him that. However when we discovered that the Servers we had were under powered and so expensive to run we started looking into other hosting. We found togglebox which is cloud hosting like Amazon. We were able to get 8 cores, 64 gigs of ram, 50 tb of bandwidth per month, and I believe 50tb of hard drive space for $400 per month. We talked to their support and Jason was convinced by the end so we bought it. That package was WAY more then what we had with our own Servers and was $200 less per month. That package was also way more then we needed at the time so we have since gone with Amazon and we are paying $50 to $100 per month now for a mid sized Server Instance. The Servers Jason owned were bought back in the early 2000s for a project he was going to be starting with a Friend... The project never happened or failed so he had the Servers sitting collecting dust...
Christ- When he was talking about his $50,000 in server at the colo facility he acted like he owned the facility and the servers were not junk. He was even saying " My colo facility is only 2 hours away and with 1 phone call I can have someone throw more blades in if needed or could even drive there if I had to"

James, dude... I dont even want to debate GM and its issues with you.Youve been through enough with this shit it seems. I want Appleton here. His turn .

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Jason Appleton...Come out and Play.
Jason Appleton...Come out and PlaYYYYYYYY
Jason Appleton... Come out and Play.

the-warriors-luther.jpg

NOTE: Mods .may I humbly request that if Jason Appleton has the Balls to answer for his own words and decides to stop being a punk bitch hiding from the internets and finally comes here to have a discussion- That he could be approved without having the delay? Just a humble request from a penguin.

I also dont think you have to worry about it. if anything I imagine he will send you guys some private threat but wont have the balls to take any heat like James here has.... But just in case...

Waiting for ya Appleton. Lots to talk about.

:mob:

Last edited:
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Oh yeah, Appleton is a piece of work.

But james P isnt innocent in this. he may have been the one left holding the bag but he was not innocently duped. It looked that way for awhile, but no.

The problem is jason Appleton is MIA. Hasnt posted in months and seems to have fallen off the face of the map. Even after the KS jason moved funding direct to the website and slowly backed away placing james out front.

Appletons gone though- James is the one constant since the start. he lies like crazy and hes all over the place lying and misdirecting and providing excuses. He placed himself in this position and helped perpetuate all of this mess. Since Appleton is gone, James is left to take the heat.

Lie down with dogs and you will get fleas. James knew what was what- Now it is what it is...

Had he not stepped into that thread yesterday and started lying all over again and excusing jason Appleton while at the same time blaming him (The backer rewards are still sitting in Appletons garage since 2012 and he doesnt "have time" to send them- But when he does finally do it- There will be an extra bonus for all the faithful backers!!!) and crying about working like a slave without pay- MAYBE, if james starts telling the fucking truth the publicity around him will go away. He doesnt though. he continues on... More bullshit every time he says anything and then more excuses everytime he fails to produce.

This has went on long enough and is one of the main reasons real games cannot get KS funding when people are buying hype and promise.

EDIT- The problem is everywhere this starts being discussed- It doesnt take long for locked threads and deleted posts. Thats why I am bringing this here finally. If people are interested in this , it will be immortalized and not locked to fall to the bottom of the forum.
I wonder if deceitfulness is related to gypsy nose.

Last edited:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Oh yeah, Appleton is a piece of work.

But james P isnt innocent in this. he may have been the one left holding the bag but he was not innocently duped. It looked that way for awhile, but no.

The problem is jason Appleton is MIA. Hasnt posted in months and seems to have fallen off the face of the map. Even after the KS jason moved funding direct to the website and slowly backed away placing james out front.

Appletons gone though- James is the one constant since the start. he lies like crazy and hes all over the place lying and misdirecting and providing excuses. He placed himself in this position and helped perpetuate all of this mess. Since Appleton is gone, James is left to take the heat.

Lie down with dogs and you will get fleas. James knew what was what- Now it is what it is...

Had he not stepped into that thread yesterday and started lying all over again and excusing jason Appleton while at the same time blaming him (The backer rewards are still sitting in Appletons garage since 2012 and he doesnt "have time" to send them- But when he does finally do it- There will be an extra bonus for all the faithful backers!!!) and crying about working like a slave without pay- MAYBE, if james starts telling the fucking truth the publicity around him will go away. He doesnt though. he continues on... More bullshit every time he says anything and then more excuses everytime he fails to produce.

This has went on long enough and is one of the main reasons real games cannot get KS funding when people are buying hype and promise.

EDIT- The problem is everywhere this starts being discussed- It doesnt take long for locked threads and deleted posts. Thats why I am bringing this here finally. If people are interested in this , it will be immortalized and not locked to fall to the bottom of the forum.
I wonder if deceitfulness is related to gypsy nose.
:keepmyjewgold:

@ James P. - Lets address the "fag"issue , while i'm at it. Evidently you must be. Only a fag would post at a place like this. =P

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
And I thought the old SSI/Stones of Arnhem thread was weird...

Actually scratch that, the Stones of Arnhem thread was glorious, this, this is just bizarre on the utmost level... Everything about the story seems completely mystifying. A scam that gets called out I get. A failed project that crashes and burns due to mismanagement I understand. But both at the same time?

The swindler runs away with the money, okay, seems sensible and logical. The (allegedly) unpaid lead developer who turns up a dozen hours after the creation of a thread to heroically defend an non existing game with huge walls of text while pretending to work full time on the game (I guess it must be code compiling) just befuddles me.
I can only see two possible reasons:
-He's paid to keep the illusion going that there is a game being developed to deflect attempts at suing for fraud (would that even hold up in a court?)
-The other option is too sad for me to contemplate...

And I thought years of lurking on the codex had desensitized me to game developer drama.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
And I thought the old SSI/Stones of Arnhem thread was weird...

Actually scratch that, the Stones of Arnhem thread was glorious, this, this is just bizarre on the utmost level... Everything about the story seems completely mystifying. A scam that gets called out I get. A failed project that crashes and burns due to mismanagement I understand. But both at the same time?

The swindler runs away with the money, okay, seems sensible and logical. The (allegedly) unpaid lead developer who turns up a dozen hours after the creation of a thread to heroically defend an non existing game with huge walls of text while pretending to work full time on the game (I guess it must be code compiling) just befuddles me.
I can only see two possible reasons:
-He's paid to keep the illusion going that there is a game being developed to deflect attempts at suing for fraud (would that even hold up in a court?)
-The other option is too sad for me to contemplate...

And I thought years of lurking on the codex had desensitized me to game developer drama.
We are just getting started.

EDIT- The "other option" that makes you sad...I think we are on the same page tbh.

We need Appleton here to ask- In fact, there is alot to ask jason Appleton when he gets here... but I think his hands are full with some big black cock and typing would be too difficult. I'm sure we will be hearing from him soon one way or another. he is known to use alts (reference the wurm thread) and has been caught by moderates but is now smart enough to use a VPN...We will see.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What am I missing here.

Guy is making a MMO.. a stupidly hard task for a single person and I think a bit crazy to attempt but it does look like a game. Unless your issue is with the graphics which is the only thing MMO players seem to care about these days.

Most MMO's take 3 + years to make with a full team and millions of dollars behind them and still come out late.

DarkP is coming off as a bit butthurt but thread is still entertaining I suppose. Also.. GM_JamesPro needs developer tag plz DarkUnderlord

Severian Silk

Guys, I'm going to lock this thread if you don't shape up!

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There was way too much wall of text and other stuff going on here but his responses seemed realistic especially the bad business decisions he's made.

Point out the best piece of evidence and I will reconsider my opinion.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
There was way too much wall of text and other stuff going on here but his responses seemed realistic especially the bad business decisions he's made.

Point out the best piece of evidence and I will reconsider my opinion.
There is alot going on here.

I know is alot of text but if I would seriously ask that you refrain from forming an opinion until its all been read. I'm waiting for appleton and we will discuss specific things with a bit more clarity...maybe... Until then. I know its alot of shit to read.

EDIT- I will also readily admit that I can be a trollish motherfucker. But as scrooge eluded to in an earlier post, its not in my character here to call out devs or companies except for cleve ...Which is mandatory.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
No.

The evidence I've read comes across as more bad decisions you didn't agree with than any outright scam. I'm not invested enough to form an opinion on all those bad decisions but I doubt I'd have agreed with them all because unless you are making a game it won't be 100% to your vision.

I'm not going to read walls of text about bickering over "why'd you spend money on THAT.. it's a scam!!! I wanted bigger pauldrons.. hurrrr"

The list of things you show to impune his character do seem kind of strange but it doesn't make him a scammer. The only "scamish" thing you've listed was the snakeoil salesman mmo fight promoter which I didn't see a link to and is probably just more hurr durr retardery.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
No.

The evidence I've read comes across as more bad decisions you didn't agree with than any outright scam. I'm not invested enough to form an opinion on all those bad decisions but I doubt I'd have agreed with them all because unless you are making a game it won't be 100% to your vision.

I'm not going to read walls of text about bickering over "why'd you spend money on THAT.. it's a scam!!! I wanted bigger pauldrons.. hurrrr"

The list of things you show to impune his character do seem kind of strange but it doesn't make him a scammer. The only "scamish" thing you've listed was the snakeoil salesman mmo fight promoter which I didn't see a link to and is probably just more hurr durr retardery.
Alright then.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
He does have retarded politics if that's what you mean, so the game will probably be shit, but I don't think that necessarily makes it a scam.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
He does have retarded politics if that's what you mean, so the game will probably be shit, but I don't think that necessarily makes it a scam.
Its not at all what I mean. Azs I said...There is alot here. Its nothing to really do with him.

EDIT- Well, yes, it obviously has to do with him...But...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom