Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall II: The Dying World - prequel where native PC travels to the old continent

Zariusz

Arbiter
Ehh... I wish they would return to their mars setting after this, with their next game.
Nacon owns Greedfall now but that may not necessarily be the case with their previous games. Either way, I'm fine with the Mars setting ending with Technomancer, don't need any additional story.
Fate of Earth wasnt imho crucial to that setting, i mean it obviously would change a lot post plot but Technomancer was set at the same time as Mars War Logs and there was at least one other water corporation besides those already covered as far as i can remember. Nothing prevents Spiders from again showing us another perspective like they did with Technomancer. You could say its repetitive but i would be fine with this since i just like that setting.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Spiders' games are all finished, they just show an obvious lack of budget and make some amateurish design decisions.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Anyway, does anybody know how well did the first installment sell? I thought it wasn't a hot selling title. Also, the DLC they added later on had some mind-boggling 0.01% completion rate on Steam. So, I'm curious.
I am a sucker for Spiders' games, but here's the thing:.

Say, you like to go to the countryside for a vacation. It's pretty okay; you get to walk, see nature, maybe have a good local beer somewhere, stuff like that. Nothing much exciting—a mellow thing, really. You yourself might even love it and prefer it over a vacation on beaches in Thailand, but generally speaking, vacation-wise, going to the countryside is a mediocre thing.

This is how Greedfall struck me (with me being the one who 'likes to go to the countryside from time to time' in that analogy).

Unfortunately, one of the 'good kind of mediocrity' downsides was that there was seldom something to be discovered in the large open areas apart from quest-marked places, occasional chests 'in plain sight', or an herb here and there. Following an unbeaten path more often than not led to nothing rather than to an expected treasure, a piece of lore, a puzzle, etc. And the combat—not very complex in the first place—could've gotten repetitive pretty soon unless you spread the learning points over many skills instead of specializing (as you should be doing), solely for the reason to experience more tactical choices (but hey, also way less damage...).

Despite some bright moments and generally okay-to-solid writing, agreeable characters, and deep, well-thought-out lore, the game has managed to keep me engaged for about 50 hours, of which the last 10 were more about hoping that some more fun would appear than actually having fun. Not a bad amount, but still, I wasn't able to bear myself to finish it.

I'd wager other people laid off of it for similar reasons.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Spiders' games are all finished, they just show an obvious lack of budget and make some amateurish design decisions.
Lol, no! Why, they're almost the same kind of passionate and autistic authors as PB, tenaciously developing similar games with similar concepts over and over again, and god knows how they have kept funding themselves for the last 15 years, but they're still here!
May they last 50 more, at least :-D

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lol, no! Why, they're almost the same kind of passionate and autistic authors as PB, tenaciously developing similar games with similar concepts over and over again, and god knows how they kept funding themselves for the last 15 years, but they're still here!
Incredibly low budgets. Greedfall had a budget comparable to Pillars of Eternity and that was their biggest at the time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol, no! Why, they're almost the same kind of passionate and autistic authors as PB, tenaciously developing similar games with similar concepts over and over again, and god knows how they kept funding themselves for the last 15 years, but they're still here!
Incredibly low budgets. Greedfall had a budget comparable to Pillars of Eternity and that was their biggest at the time.
I guess PB budgets are also shoestring but their games are not as glaringly poorfaggy as Spiders'. Just played Steelrising and it has that Greedfall vibe of low-detail, copy-pasted assets again.

You would never mistake a PB game for a triple-A product but none of them looks as cheap. They got other problems obviously, mainly with writing, which is one of Spiders' stronger suits.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The difference between them is that PB games are getting worse and worse with each release.

Vorark

Erudite
Greedfall was okayish up to the coup subplot, after which it leaned too much into fetch quest territory to extend playtime instead of ending gracefully. Speaking of which, what a trash ending.

428437523_910052234458678_5940723938217615924_n.jpg

Looks like Constantin in a wig.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Greedfall was okayish up to the coup subplot, after which it leaned too much into fetch quest territory to extend playtime instead of ending gracefully. Speaking of which, what a trash ending.

Basically every Spiders game ever, except for Mars: War Logs.
Basically most RPGs ever. I'd struggle recalling more than a handful of RPGs with an actual great ending. Most devolve in a soul-destroying, endless combat grindfest or boring fast-travel teleporting all over the map, chasing that Main Quest marker.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
THe summary
"The story starts three years before the events of the first game and the adventures of De Sardet.

This time you play as a native of Teer Fradee, uprooted by force from your island and taken to the continent of Gacane, where the colonists are from. In this old world ravaged by war and scarred by the Malichor plague and the political scheming of the different factions, you need to regain your freedom and control of your own destiny. Using diplomacy, cunning or combat, as well as help from allies you make, it's up to you to end one man's ambitions of conquest, which could spell the end for the continent and your island.

Experience the unique world of GreedFall again by exploring the old continent! Travel across new landscapes, from Olima – the city of stars of the Bridge Alliance – to the shores of Uxantis, and uncover the secrets of these ancient lands. Meet all the factions that share control over these nations and navigate the treacherous waters of their schemes and conspiracies.

Create your own character and find allies to join your team. Help them with their quests, uncover their secrets and make them your friends, rivals or even lovers. As well as equipping them the way you want, you can also take control of them in combat.

Immerse yourself in an ever deeper RPG experience where every choice has an impact on your adventure and where diplomacy, manipulation, infiltration and combat are all viable paths for you to achieve your aims."

Tytus

Arcane
The woman's face gives me the uncanny valley effect. They gave her weirdly small eyes. I hope she is not like that in the game itself.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Ok, one more thing.
I hope it's not De Sardet's mom.
supposedly both native parents died when you were a toddler. Since its 3yrs prior to events of 1st game it makes it unlikely.

Padzi

Arbiter
Ok, one more thing.
I hope it's not De Sardet's mom.
supposedly both native parents died when you were a toddler. Since its 3yrs prior to events of 1st game it makes it unlikely.
Okay, I didn't realize it was only 3 years. I thought the prequel was happening at the beginning of the Teer Fradee invasion.

The woman's face gives me the uncanny valley effect. They gave her weirdly small eyes. I hope she is not like that in the game itself.
Huh, and she's still not half bad.
I mean, her model looks like an actual female.

just

Liturgist
female protag or hard pass as we like to call it in our circles
after actually reading about it you can create a char so not a hard pass, but it's a prequel so it's just a pass

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom