Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grid Cartographer - Best Tool for Drawing Classic RPG Maps

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Hidden Asbestos sorry I haven't had the time to test out the newest version. Just got so much on my plate this month. I'll try to do it by next Friday, failing which, I promise to commit seppuku.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Don't forget exporting to 1" grid scale! :P

How many pixels per grid cell do you need for that to look good when printed to 1"?

I'm not really picky, tbh. I just need a quick export function that scales everything to 1". Right now what I'm doing is exporting, then editing in Photoshop. It'll be a nice QOL feature to be able to export to 1" with just the click of a few buttons.

Okay so I've learned a lot about pixels per inch today :)
The next update sets the PPI meta-data of the PNG/BMP image to the tile size - so 1 tile = 1 inch.

This doesn't give you much room on a piece of A4 but it'll do as a default.

I don't have access to a printer right now but I trust the Photoshop print-preview is probably correct:
http://www.gridcartographer.com/share/gc431_print_dialog.png

Here's the file exported from my current WIP build, you should be able to load this up and hit print without the extra step to set the print resolution.
http://www.gridcartographer.com/share/ppi-test.png
http://www.gridcartographer.com/share/ppi-test.bmp <-- edit: bmp also supports PPI info

Can you test this and post a picture next to a tape measure ?

Hidden Asbestos did you only want me to test this out by printing the image you posted in the quote above?

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Don't forget exporting to 1" grid scale! :P

How many pixels per grid cell do you need for that to look good when printed to 1"?

I'm not really picky, tbh. I just need a quick export function that scales everything to 1". Right now what I'm doing is exporting, then editing in Photoshop. It'll be a nice QOL feature to be able to export to 1" with just the click of a few buttons.

Okay so I've learned a lot about pixels per inch today :)
The next update sets the PPI meta-data of the PNG/BMP image to the tile size - so 1 tile = 1 inch.

This doesn't give you much room on a piece of A4 but it'll do as a default.

I don't have access to a printer right now but I trust the Photoshop print-preview is probably correct:
http://www.gridcartographer.com/share/gc431_print_dialog.png

Here's the file exported from my current WIP build, you should be able to load this up and hit print without the extra step to set the print resolution.
http://www.gridcartographer.com/share/ppi-test.png
http://www.gridcartographer.com/share/ppi-test.bmp <-- edit: bmp also supports PPI info

Can you test this and post a picture next to a tape measure ?

Hidden Asbestos did you only want me to test this out by printing the image you posted in the quote above?

Well I actually have my printer back now, so feel free to print either the png or bmp file but I'm not counting on you to do this this for me or anything. HTH - thanks very much for offering to help though!

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
How expandable is the program? Source available?

This is possibly the closest program to meet my needs right now and I hope it does since I'm getting progressively angrier because of tool development.:negative:

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
It's a closed source project but the Pro/Steam version has scripting features (mainly for export right now; import scripts TBD) - the latest manual is here: http://gridcartographer.com/files/manuals/gc4_scripting.pdf

Will it be useful for you from a development perspective? I hope so. I can tell you the developers of Vaporum used it for prototyping their game and liked it a lot, but I don't know your requirements so YMMV. Happy to answer questions and provide support where possible.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
I just need domain specific shit on the editor, the more I can do in it without having to write parsers and external tools, the better. Would be cool if I could prerender wall images for my 3D view (distorting them in real time in my case is out of the question), but it won't hurt if it doesn't. As long as I can define arbitrary crap on tiles for trigger zones, etc. and create an export script for my map format it's all good.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I just need domain specific shit on the editor, the more I can do in it without having to write parsers and external tools, the better. Would be cool if I could prerender wall images for my 3D view (distorting them in real time in my case is out of the question), but it won't hurt if it doesn't. As long as I can define arbitrary crap on tiles for trigger zones, etc. and create an export script for my map format it's all good.

The 3D view is currently flat shaded and works as "real" projected 3D, not Eye of the Beholder 2D tile sets / walls at set distances. I imagine it's only really useful to get a sense of what mazes look like, etc. - blocking out a level early on, rather than a final render.

Each tile can have a 'note' string attached to it - a unicode string you can access via script and export. I assume you can export that and parse "Dwarf NPC goes here" from it to make your gameplay work? I think there could be some thought needed on your side to represent the data in the editor in a way you're comfortable with, but getting the data out shouldn't be a problem. (Oh and full disclosure: currently I'm rewriting the note system so it's one string per-tile, right now you can have multiple - but since newlines work it just makes things simpler to have one note per tile)

Happy to help with scripting support, I have a forum for it on my site. I made a script for a person on Steam who wanted AppGameKit support and also there's a CSV export example too.

I'm open to improving the weaknesses in the stuff above, the limiting factor is my available time vs. the other features I need to add.

Last edited:

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Well I'm taking a good look at the software once I come back to it. I'm sure I can make it work after seeing the scripting manual :p

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Next version will have an auto-tracking profile for Dungeon Master (DOS)

click here for big: http://www.gridcartographer.com/share/gc431_dm1.png

gc431_dm1_720px.png

(standard disclaimer that this is a drawing program and not an auto-mapper - some of the map shown on the left was hand-detailed)

Sinatar

Arbiter
Nice, the game link profiles are definitely the most appealing part of the package to me. Hopefully more comes in the future. *Ishar COUGH COUGH*.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Is there a specific version of Dungeon Master for DOS that needs to be used? I've tried several versions I've downloaded from various websites (inlcuding from Dungeon Master Encyclopedia), but can't get any to actually map. Gamelink works and the game connects, Grid Cartographer asks me if I want it to create new map, I tell it yes, but then the map is never updated (or even started for that matter).

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
The "Dungeon Master Encyclopedia" version should work just fine. If it's asking you to create a new map that's a good sign that the correct version is being used. Does the avatar marker not move around in the editor and leave 'footprints'?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I’ve got to try out the Metroid one. I remember as a kid some new friend in middle school loaned me his Metroid cartridges and his hand drawn maps. I had never played such a game before.

newtmonkey

Arcane
The "Dungeon Master Encyclopedia" version should work just fine. If it's asking you to create a new map that's a good sign that the correct version is being used. Does the avatar marker not move around in the editor and leave 'footprints'?
Yeah, it basically does nothing once the map is created. No avatar appears on the map and it doesn't move around as I move in the game.

Other Gamelink profile games I've tried work fine, so this game is a bit of a mystery...

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Yeah, it basically does nothing once the map is created. No avatar appears on the map and it doesn't move around as I move in the game.

Other Gamelink profile games I've tried work fine, so this game is a bit of a mystery...

Probably best if you e-mail me or post on my bug report forum so we can figure this out - rather that doing this here.

If you go to Options > Editor > Show Debug HUD it should look like this: https://imgur.com/2CdMHet
This is me running the US version from the encyclopedia, choosing VGA, Sound Blaster and Mouse control options on startup.
The DOSBox.conf file I'm using is pretty basic - svga_s3 chipset, 16mb RAM, SB16 on IRQ5
I'm guessing there's some difference but it'll be a case of experimenting to find out what it is.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Not sure whether to post any wargaming style stuff here, but in case there's some audience overlap.

For the next update (coming in a few days I think) I've added a cell codes option for hex and square grids.

i9fzSfP.png

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
v4.3.2 is now available!

Headline changes are:
  • "Ultima IV" (DOS Version) auto-tracking profile - thanks glaymore!
  • Numbered tiles option (see post above). Print co-ordinates in each grid cell in XXYY format.
  • Changed Edit and Floor 'ribbon tabs' into menus for the editor viewport.
  • Several bug-fixes and tweaks.
Download: http://gridcartographer.com/download/

Buy on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/684690

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So um.... I made a map for Lightning Warrior Raidy... :M
https://my.mixtape.moe/dmbpxg.gct

Some notes:
1. I'd REALLY love that feature to be able to link teleports together, so you can visually see lines going from the In's to the Out's (with an animation showing a pulse from the in to the out) - I sort of just badly colour coordinated them (See floor 3)
2. Two way teleport icons would also be nice, with the above links. - I sort of just placed down coloured arrows pointing in the general direction to the other (see floor 4)
3. Being able to set a theme per level would also be nice - The 6th and final floor has a completely different aesthetic to it, and I would've liked to be able to show that a bit better
4. "Secret Walls" probably shouldn't be passthrough - I was using those to denote doors that are actually walls
5. I'd also still like some sort of feature to associate colours with icons, so at that at the very least when you change the colour in the palette, it will change it for that icon/category only, not everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom