Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Lightning, fire and cold could've easily been one damage type (elemental). Some items have +elemental damage anyway. To not lose flavor, the different abilities could've retained their visuals, but treated as elemental damage. More class combinations would've been made viable by this too.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I wish the damage types actually were more visually distinct, kill something with chaos damage and you barely notice the difference when you kill it with poison or bleeding. PoE and Diablo III have different ragdoll animations for kills with different damage types, dunno why they didn't implement it, guess an engine limitation? You have a bad ass demonic sorcerer that throw demonic void chaotic black holes but enemies or just fall down like a sack of potatos or explode, kinda underwhelming.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't think it's an engine limitation, more like budget limitation. I think this has been discussed on their forums and they basically said they went with ragdolls (which I hate) because seeing enemies fly in all directions is "more satisfying".

jdinatale

Cipher
I'm playing as a soldier/demolitionist using a 2h rifle. My main attack is Cadence, but I have 1 point in Fire strike. What from the demolitionist tree would complement a Cadence build?

PorkBarrellGuy

I'm playing as a soldier/demolitionist using a 2h rifle. My main attack is Cadence, but I have 1 point in Fire strike. What from the demolitionist tree would complement a Cadence build?

Why are you opting for Cadence over Fire Strike?

PorkBarrellGuy

Why are you opting for Cadence over Fire Strike?

Good point, I just respec'd to Fire Strike

Cadence is ok on a number of things, but on a ranged Commando I would say it's strictly inferior to Fire Strike unless you are opting for physical/pierce uber alles. With the right devotions and skills you could PROBABLY support a phys/pierce with appropriate RR. You will absolutely need to invest in WPS if you go Cadence, though, as those first two hits basically do jack and shit without some kind of WPS to fill them occasionally. Fire Strike is more steady and reliable, IMO, and is not dependent on WPS to churn out steady DPS. The only issue with Fire Strike Commandos I can really see is that you're going to need to itemize for phys-fire conversion most likely. You might also find yourself hurting for skillpoints depending on how heavily you invest in Soldier - I can't imagine you would need to invest beyond 44 ranks in Soldier MAX if you really want the attribute points and the nicer Soldier passives, but you will probably need 50 ranks in Demo so you can capitalize on Brimstone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Really, you need both, because the only exclusive skills come from the Soldier tree in a Commando build. Oleron's Rage has movement speed, OA (really important) and Internal Trauma (decent synergy with Demo) and +% Pierce (ditto).

jdinatale

Firestrike, Flame Touched, Flashbang and Blast Shield

+

Field Command, Military Conditioning, Oleron's Rage and any spares into Fighting Spirit

=

Rock solid Commando

However, quite honestly, any ranged build that doesn't take advantage of Inquisitor is shortchanging itself. Its exclusives are amazing, its WPS godly and its passives unbeatable for DPS. For example, Aura of Censure on a Fire Strike build is a game changer, due to its Resistance Reduction. Since it stacks with a lot of other sources, it will give you a massive boost to kill speed on the higher difficulties. More than simply stacking damage would. Bursting Round is basically a better Explosive Strike (though its WPS, as opposed to a passive modifier - and can therefore proc Constellation skills).

Ranged Expertise is a lvl 1 skill and increases raw pierce damage and attack speed - the result is a smoother leveling experience.

When it comes to non-Inquisitor builds, I like the potential of a Demo-Occultist (Pyromancer) Chaos-Fire build. In Normal and Elite its already a face melter, but with Chaos Resistance Reduction and damage oriented sets coming up in Forgotten Gods, I think it could be significantly buffed. Finally, there are very popular (and powerful) Shaman-Inquisitor ranged builds that basically spit lightning. Neat playstyle, although I gather that gearing isn't straightforward.

PorkBarrellGuy

Aura of Censure is nice on paper/tooltip and then you realize how pitiful the range is. Though, as it so happens, every ranged build becomes a melee build as soon as something tough enough comes along to make it through the hail of bullets/bolts.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Exactly. You don't need the RR for trash mobs, anyway. The range is fine for kiting/face tanking.

PorkBarrellGuy

Also, binding constellation skills to most WPS is a matter of "there was nothing else to bind it to" usually. The Inquisitor's ranged WPS are probably the BEST of the WPS for binding due to the multi-shot mechanics generating all those extra strikes, but in my experience that wasn't saying too much.

In regards to the Chaos-Fire Pyro - I had one that made extensive use of the Meteor-Mines combo and then for some goddamn reason Crate smacked Meteor-Mines with the nerfstick.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, you'd only bind the constellation skills that have a high proc chance. All the 20-25% on attack ones will proc reasonably frequently on, for example, a high attack speed dual-pistol character. The 100% on crit ones are fine, too.

Chaos-Fire didn't really need a nerf of any sort. The Chaos part is gimped for end-game with a lack of itemization support and low RR. Bit silly, really.

PorkBarrellGuy

Yeah, you'd only bind the constellation skills that have a high proc chance. All the 20-25% on attack ones will proc reasonably frequently on, for example, a high attack speed dual-pistol character. The 100% on crit ones are fine, too.

Chaos-Fire didn't really need a nerf of any sort. The Chaos part is gimped for end-game with a lack of itemization support and low RR. Bit silly, really.

To be fair the Meteor-Mines nerf was an INDIRECT nerf to Chaos-Fire Pyros, but seeing as how important Thermite/Hellfire Mines are to CF Pyros and how good they also happened to be for binding Meteor Swarm to give CF Pyros a bit of help clearing large amounts of trash, it hit them at least as hard if not harder than a lot of other builds. To be fair I think the nerf they gave Brimstone at one point was even more inexcusable, but at least it's still a good investment for a ranged character. With the limit on Meteor Swarms in place Meteor-Mines is a hollow shell of what it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sykar

Arcane
New info for the expansion: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79845

We’re here, and so is a Grim Misadventure. Last time, we delved into the land of items. Today, we are ready to talk about your unusual new allies in the upcoming Forgotten Gods expansion.

The Witch Gods are said to wield unfathomable powers. Their followers worship them in the hopes of getting a mere taste of this vast potential. Naturally, the Erulan emperors did not approve of such heresy and the Luminari were dispatched to exterminate any that defy the commands of the throne and the faith of Empyrion.

attachment.php

But the Witch Gods are clever, their covens well hidden. For centuries, their worshippers have evaded capture. They worked from the shadows, secretly manipulating the empire’s citizens and growing their numbers.

When the Grim Dawn struck, all of humanity paid the price for the hubris of the Gildam Arcanum arcanists, the Witch God cults included. Yet it was their efforts to evade the Luminari that spared them the brunt of the initial carnage. The cults receded to their hidden places to tend to their wounds and recover their strength. All the while, the Witch Gods plotted their next move...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Forgotten Gods
But cosmic forces are at play that go beyond just the conflict between the Aetherials and the Chthonians. Forgotten powers are stirring in the celestial vale. Powers that threaten even the Witch Gods themselves. And so, in an unprecedented move, the cults have gathered as one. No longer divided by their devotion, they became unified in a singular purpose: to halt the return of the cataclysm that ravaged the Korvan lands.

Byscilla, the Matron of Rifts
attachment.php

“Praises be upon the Three. Praises be upon their wisdom, their foresight and their pity upon mankind. For without their blessings, we would be as worthless husks, devoid of the gifts of the Eldritch realm and at the mercy of the Luminari hounds.

Curses be upon the usurper, the burning vengeance, the Korvan destroyer. Curses be upon his lust for the Eldritch Thrones, the pinnacle of the gods. May he die a thousand deaths as Dreeg suffers a thousand festering wounds, may his insides fill with spiders and his eyes turn to ash by Eldritch fire. All this we invoke upon the usurper of the Eldritch powers; powers meant to be wielded by the true gods and their servants.

We march through the blistering sands and into the heart of flame, the whispers of Dreeg in our ears, the hounds of Bysmiel at our side, the black flame of Solael upon our blades. None shall be spared before our wrath. By the gifts of our patrons, we will reclaim what is theirs; and though our blood shall spill upon the Korvan sands, it will be done in honor of the true masters of humanity.”

The Conclave of the Three
United, the Witch God cults traveled far east to the Korvan lands, to the blistering heat of the deserts and the forbidden ruins left to burn in the wake of an angered god’s wrath. Led by three prominent figures in the cults: Byscilla the Matron of Rifts, Draelus the Oracle of Dreeg and Sagon the Vicar of Solael, the cults gathered in what became known as the Conclave of the Three, a place of power on the outskirts of the fallen Korvan empire.

Draellus, the Oracle of Dreeg
attachment.php

“I am certain you have heard the whispers as I had. The mad one is restless, his mind filled with visions of the burning one's return. If the bonds are broken and his power restored, he could unmake everything. I do not have to remind you of the consequences. The Triumvirate's fate is bound in this moment.

Send word along the spider's web. Rally the servants of Bysmiel. I invoke the sacred covenant. The forces of the Three must converge in the forgotten lands of the Korvan people. Our forces must unite against this threat, or divided we shall succumb to the vengeful flames. None must be allowed to defy our summons. Any that do are as much enemy as the forces we contend with and shall be dealt with in kind. We must not allow ourselves to be distracted by the machinations of the Aetherials or the bloodletters succumbing to their own doom. The danger they pose pales in comparison to what awaits us if we fail. And if the web has done its part, then the Erulan survivors will at least stymie their progress long enough for our matters to be settled.

Seek out the twin statues. You know of which I speak. The veil there is thin and will serve as an opportune location to begin our work. At the request of the infinite eye, I've dispatched the Emissary to track down valuable allies who will turn the tide in our favor. I consider their lives expendable in pursuit of victory, but one must not tamper with the whims of fate when they are so clearly written before us.

By the Three Thrones, we will eradicate this threat to our gifts. The world will tremble before the might of the Witch Gods!

Sagon, Vicar of Solael”

Sagon, Vicar of Solael
attachment.php

You are among those to be recruited by the Witch Gods’ Emissary. What will your answer be when you receive his summons? And when you arrive, to whom will you offer your services? Will you serve Bysmiel and her web of spies? Or perhaps Dreeg and his prophetic visions? Maybe Solael and his mastery over the Eldritch flame intrigues you?

attachment.php

The Witch God cults are the three friendly factions you will be able to earn favor with in the upcoming Forgotten Gods expansion. Depending on which you choose, your story content will be different. But remember: in the end, all serve the whispers of the Three.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? We’ll be taking a holiday break, but join us in the new year on 01/07/2019 for the next Grim Misadventure!

A little treat on us...
For those that stopped by our recent livestream, we played you the new music track for the Loghorrean boss fight, coming your way in v1.0.7.0 later this week.

But if you can't wait that long, you can now listen to it right here on the website in the Media Section!

You can even download Loggy's track locally for just $0, a little treat from us and Skewsound!

From everybody here at Crate, we wish you all a happy holiday season!

I recoginze that Bysmiel lady...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ok, so, some thoughts regarding Ultimate and AoM, but some various other stuff too -

1. Some of the maps, especially the districts of Malmouth, are too big with nothing to see and almost no content besides more mobs to massacre. There's no reason for them to be this big even from the perspective of a first playthrough, they are samey and barren. You won't go through them when you are done with the story content and are just farming items.
2. I'm continuing to get upgrades pretty consistently for my build, I even got a best-in-slot item by just going through the story (Mythical Mark of Divinity). I'd say I have enough powerful items to go through the entire game at this point.
3. The bosses in Malmouth are bullshit. I've been using consumables that boost my resistances and damage against specific targets since I've stepped foot in AoM content and I have maximum resistances against aether damage when using them, but the two giant bosses (the one in the sewer and the one at the gate) wrecked me for a while and I had to keep bashing my head against them until they fell. You can't kite them (they charge you), you can't consistently move away from their abilities because they spam them one after the other, you can't facetank them (even though I can facetank legions of the other mobs). I don't know what you should do to consistently kill them without dying, maybe my build isn't good at killing bosses.
4. The game badly needs a search function to sift through the items you have, which should work cross-character if it can. It must include stats, as in "vitality damage" or "offensive ability", or "Necromancer skills".
5. This is a general complaint which really can't be fixed now, but a lot of the masteries are all over the place, with different damage types that don't really make sense thrown in. Necromancers, for example, can deal poison, aether, piercing, vitality and cold damage. A lot of abilities can deal multiple damage types, which is fine, but only very high-level sets are itemized for both (or more) damage types and they are even rare. And even if you do find such items, like 1 ability uses the same damage types. Drain Essence deals vitality and aether, but Ravenous Earth uses vitality and poison. You can get around this with damage conversion items, but only if you can find the proper convertor. It seems overcomplicated for little gain, is it just me?
6. Some abilities aren't clear. Ravenous Earth's Foul Eruption synergy says it makes the mobs explode, deal damage and lower resistances, but it's not clear if Ravenous Earth must kill the target for this to work, or it puts some kind of debuff on the enemy that makes them explode after being damaged by Ravenous Earth. I tested it and I'm pretty sure RE should kill the target. But still, it should be made more clear, like "when Ravenous Earth kills the target, it explodes" or something like that.
7. Some bonuses either don't make sense or aren't clear. For example, Uroboruuk's 5 set says it converts 66% of vitality damage of Drain Essence to aether damage, but the set is itemized for both damage types. Why does it convert it then? Does it double dip from both bonuses after it's converted? If it doesn't double dip, it makes your other items worthless if they only have +vitality damage, which they mostly do and that's what you've been collecting and using for the entire rest of the game.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
So they will implement advanced loot filter. Nice.
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=695845#post695845

Grim Misadventures is here with another peek inside Grim Dawn!

Last time, we took a long look down 2018’s memory lane. At the end of that update, we left you with a few teasers of what’s still to come. Needless to say, the Forgotten Gods is expansion is rapidly approaching as we enter the final stages of development and playtesting (we recently had an opportunity for more playtesters to join us!).

However, the expansion will also coincide with a patch to the game, which we are enumerating v1.1.0.0. As previously mentioned, this update will come with the x64 game client, changes to Cunning and Spirit and a mysterious new feature.

Well, today we’d like to talk to you all about what this mystery is! I dare say, it’s something that’s been on our wishlist (and yours) for a long time.

Coming with patch v1.1.0.0, we are pleased to introduce a complete overhaul to the Loot Filter.

attachment.php

In the current version of the game, the Loot Filter offered only basic functions. You could filter out all items below a certain quality threshold and that’s about it. All that’s about to change with v1.1.0.0!

attachment.php

A Quality of Life
First up, we have the Quality category. This functions similarly to the original Loot Filter, but now with added features.

First up, if you wish to look exclusively for Monster Infrequents and filter out every other Rare item, you will be able to simply uncheck the Rare box and leave Monster Infrequents selected! Likewise, you will be able to do the same with Sets.

But just in case you want to customize your loot drops and still gather every Epic and Legendary that drops regardless of your settings, you will have that option as well with the Always Show Uniques checkbox.

Type it out
Next in line is the Type category. Here you will be able to select what types of equipment you wish to see. If you never wish to see a ranged weapon again on your Melee Shieldbreaker, then that’s the place to do it!

This category is superseded by the Quality category. This means that if you have something toggled off under Quality, items that do not meet those conditions will not appear even if they meet conditions under Type.

Damaged Character
Finally, we have the Damage and Character categories. This is where you will be able to really fine-tune what you are looking for. Everything from Offensive Ability to damage types to Mastery bonuses can be filtered out, should you choose.

By selecting options in these categories, only items that meet at least one of the selected conditions will be shown.

Similarly to The Type category, your choices under Quality and Type take precedence over the Damage and Character categories, so you will not see any Magic items if they are toggled off even if they have the attributes you are looking for.

These much more powerful settings should make searching for your ideal loot in Grim Dawn much more enjoyable and we are eager to get it into your hands with patch v1.1.0.0. In case this wasn’t clear, this feature will be available to all versions of the game, whether you pick up Forgotten Gods or not!

Now that sure got wordy, I feel like we should throw some adventuring gear into the mix. Fresh from the artist den, brave adventurers that vanquish all four of Grim Dawn’s roguelike dungeons will be able to complete this exclusive set!

attachment.php

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 02/04/2019 for the next Grim Misadventure.

Sykar

Arcane
Some more news:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80893

We are here, and so is a Grim Misadventure!

Last time, we revealed our big feature for v1.1.0.0, the overhauled Loot Filter! This awesome new feature is coming to all versions of the game with the patch coinciding with the Forgotten Gods expansion’s release.

We’ve had some significant updates since then though, in case you’ve missed them.

First up, we’ve updated the Game Guide with tons of information on all of the content and features coming in Forgotten Gods. It’s another massive expansion and we can’t wait to get it into your hands.

attachment.php

Today, we are pleased to share with you some treats from the artist department. Fresh from the easel, we have for you the final world map for the Korvan Basin, the forgotten land of the Korvan people who vanished following cataclysmic disaster.

attachment.php

Forgotten Gods features some of the most diverse environments we’ve done to date and it’s become a real treat to explore. Rumor is, you may find yourself beyond the veil, traversing other physical realms teeming with potential…and danger.

With the release rapidly approaching later this quarter, one of the last things to come online is item art, and the artists aren’t disappointing. Enjoy this first look at two of the upcoming Legendary sets:

The Blightlord
attachment.php

Ghol's Malice
attachment.php

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 02/18/2019 for the next Grim Misadventure.

Grim Misadventure time!

Last time, we took our first look at the world map for the Korvan Basin, the lands you will be exploring in the upcoming Forgotten Gods expansion.

With the expansion’s release fast approaching, we have many artistic treats in store for you. As you well know, the expansion is actively in playtesting. Last week, all of the expansion’s content was put to the test as the playtesters threw themselves at the final dungeon and its boss. Initial impressions are very positive! We can’t wait to get it into your hands soon, still on track for Q1 2019.
smiley.gif

But before we can do that, there is still some polish to do, Shattered Realm levels to add and of course new items that need their final art. Today, we’ll be taking a detailed look into a Legendary armor set, inspired by one of our favorite boss encounters, the Witch God Sentinel.

attachment.php

Worn by the sworn protectors of the Witch God cults, the Sentinels are the embodiments of Eldritch powers, oathbound to serve the Three in all capacities.

You too can join their ranks and don their eldritch armaments.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

With 13 Legendary armor sets, you can look forward to many new Fashion Dawn opportunities. One of the recent additions could not simply be shown in a screenshot, however. Take a look below!

The Cyclone Set
CycloneSet.gif

As with Ashes of Malmouth, we are reaching the point where we are ready to share the Forgotten Gods game data with you. Dammitt, the creator of GrimTools, has now been given permission to share with you the Oathkeeper mastery, so you can begin pondering your dual mastery builds very soon! Closer to the full release, we will allow GrimTools to list all of the new Gear and Constellations, so stay tuned! You can also keep an eye out for our upcoming Gameplay Trailer!

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 03/04/2019 for the next Grim Misadventure.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's good they are adding an acid-based set that isn't caster-oriented. I've wanted to make an acid-based dual-pistol wielder and, while it's possible, there's literally 1 gun that supports that and I don't think any kind of set. This particular set won't help that that, though, but still. Anyway...
:d1p:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom