Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like some of the new models, they aren't as overdesigned as some Malmouth ones, they are also higher poly if I'm seeing correctly.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Of course there is. There is a big bad bad bad who are still coming, that hasn't been resolved.

Depending on your choices, you might have freed certain someone who might have gone somewhere to do something.

Main plot would probably be following that, not introducing yet another unrelated big baddie who is gonna itz the world again.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Who is the big bad bad bad that is coming? C'thon?

:nocountryforshitposters:

The Aetherials descended upon Cairn in what is now known as the Grim Dawn, possessing countless humans and butchering the rest. Most despicably of all, they began raising the fallen as mutated undead creatures, mindless foot soldiers for their invasion. Their very presence on Cairn is enough to mutate the wildlife, turning once docile creatures into vicious monstrosities.

Crate kind of fucked up with the multiple factions thing. You go fighting Ch'Thonians and now elder gods, while the main threat remains.

Zantai_GD
:the new chapter is almost entirely devoid of aetherials/chthonians

Zantai_GD
:it's not where the focus of the plot is

zantai will we see more of Kymon / DV story?

Yes, you will. They do play a part in this next chapter of Grim Dawn.

GD2?
Far too soon to tell. I think some day we'll have it in us to do GD2 and we'll see what the stars say at that time. It's not going to happen any time soon, generally because the team involved in Grim Dawn has been at it for a very long time and they might want to try something else for a while.

Will there be more DLCs in the future?
That's too soon to tell. Just as when we were working on the first expansion we weren't really ready to commit there'd be a second and that was entirely based on sales. So if expansion two does so well that we can't possibly not do a third expansion, we'll have to think about that. But in terms of the major story points we want to tell Forgotten Gods is kinda the culmination of some really big things we've been teasing along the way. And I wouldn't say the story comes to an end, but it certainly does come to a major climax.

and most importantly...

Will we learn about the Ashes of Malmouth screen loading girl in Forgotten Gods?
You will. You actually will. We were teasing this a while ago, but we're serious. We're not just screwing with you.

So yeah, I guess this is it. Side plots will get resolved somehow but Aetherials will not be revisited.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81465
Forgotten Gods is coming March 27th for $15.99
Ah, kinda hoped it would release release in the first half of the month.
I thought I did not even like action RPG's, then I played Grim Dawn, 800 hours later....

I have tried path of exile and it was okay, but it did not make me want to play it as much. Partly because the camera was fixed to close. I like the perspective and camera in Grim Dawn, its not too close like many games, and its not 3ed or 1st person which I dislike too.

Are there any others like it besides diablo II? A space marine game that came out in the last year or two sort of looked like it might have some similar qualities, but it always has mediocre reviews and is pretty expensive so I have not tried it.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Also, I don't know this is mentioned in this thread, apparently Crate's next game is a town builder with combat. Looks like it can be announced this year.

2017_winter_teaser.jpg

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=680001&postcount=4

Lacrymas

Arcane
I guess a town-builder would be fun. The aesthetic and time period is a bit generic, though. I'd have preferred something more exotic, like ancient Sumer or something.

I didn't realize they updated Grimtools with the new mastery, I kinda want to make a Necro + Oathkeeper that also summons things that scale with player bonuses, like that Raise the Dead constellation. Oathkeeper has a bunch of transmuters (? the passives that alter a base skill) that converts their damage to acid and vitality. I hope they've added Vitality + Acid legendaries or even a set.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I went back to level my Aether Ray Arcanist (he was level 20), I got to level 40 quite fast because the damage of Devastation and the Aether Ray is grotesque when you have the gear to support them, bosses melt in less than 5 seconds. If anyone wants to try this build, I recommend kitting yourself with 3-4 Ectoplasms in the beginning. I managed to get to Crucible 70 at level 30 because the mobs couldn't even get to me. After 70, however, the squishiness of this build shows through because I still haven't chosen a second class, but I'll probably go with Inquisitor for the support skills, I don't want to go Necro on purpose. I wanted to get some cool items for other alts, but I keep getting only duplicates, it's really annoying. I got 2 Maiven's Hoods 3 mobs apart. There are some really cool lower level epics, especially the sets, but they don't drop. It's funny, at lower levels you keep getting duplicates because there aren't that many epics in the first place, but at high levels there are so many items you can't get the ones you want. Eh, since the expansion brings in that "convert a set item to a different part of the set", you can keep making helms and exchange them for a guaranteed set. The lower level ones are a problem, though. Maybe I don't play enough of GD to have a massive collection of everything, I've only clocked 80 hours since the game came out.

Anyway, the map and quests. This is GD's greatest weakness and potentially ruinous for playing through it with alts. The map is atmosphere-less and dreary, the quests are boring MMO fodder of the worst kind. The only good parts of the map are the Gloomweald, the eldritch dimension and, funnily enough, Burial Hill, the first zone you have to go to. I dread going through it and that will probably stop me from leveling a third alt ever. They should've doubled down on the Gothic influence of Burial Hill and the world being fucked and already being in the process of terraforming by the aetherials. You kinda get the latter, but it's too understated and we are left with fucking farms and swamps, and samey forests. Malmouth as a city is dreadful, it's realistic, sure, but going through samey streets and buildings isn't what I'd call engaging. The design choices regarding the map are baffling, why do we need to go through so many caverns and caves? Abandoned fortresses and ancient (boring) cities of undead? They don't have anything to do with the story. Why so many forests and swamps, and farms? None of this meshes well with the narrative and I think they shot themselves in the foot. Like I've said before, the map looks like it's randomly generated, but it's not and that gets my panties in a twist.

I don't read quest texts anymore, unless it's a quest I haven't done before, but it also doesn't feel like we are accomplishing anything. Maybe that's the point, but if it is, double down on that, make sure we know that with every little victory, we lose 2 or 3 times as much somewhere else. There are too many factions with unclear roles in the story. Every artistic aspect of this game falls down when you think about them for a second and that's bad.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I played the game for around 250h and never found a complete set outside of the Maiven's, which only has 3 parts. Although admittedly I'm not autistic enough to do extensive farming. I generally found the loot in Grim Dawn disappointing, which is obviously a big bummer for a game like that. It's not that the items aren't useful, it's just that apart from absolute peak items you would be hard pressed to find a significant difference between different tiers. I cannot even remember how many times I started a new character to try some blue weapon that I found on my main, only to get a mundane yellow drop that was usable a good couple levels earlier and completely outclassed the blue one I was excited about in damage. Huge, huge boner killer.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grim Down Word shows where this food which fed big cities like Malmouth came from I enjoyed them most than Skyrimjob/Oblivius world as theme park... Agree on that we do visit a few more forts and towns after and its all empty it should be at least one group of survivors there to give us interesting quests when we travel to Fort Iconium. Only complete set i got are those faction based I too play this game more for its story and atmosphere so I am not farming same boses dozen times to get good drops though. Town simulator looks very generic indeed; give us Mycenaean towns, Or Hittites the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians along with vaguely medieval towns were done too many times already.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm not opposed to showing us there are farms, it makes for a believable world, but we get 3 (more?) huge farm maps (Burrwitch outskirts, Port Valbury and Homestead), why? You can hint at them by having only 2 farms and then cutting off the map while clearly showing there are more farms over there. We also get 3 swamps, the first *huge* swamp after Burial Hill, the East Marsh and Ugdenbog. We go through more caves and mines than a geologist. We get 4 forests, the huge one after Homestead, Pine Barrens, Burrwitch outskirts and Gloomweald (which is fine). It's too much and too samey.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
And I'm still pissed af that necro did not get a cool default attack replacement skill and the only way to play a melee necro is a support for a soldier main. Boooo, I say.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I also have a full Maiven's Set, but it is outclassed in the same level range by other items. If you are going aether damage that is.

Zakhad

Savant
I don't get it, I have loads of sets... oh right, I just checked, I have 800 hours lol, my bad. That would explain it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
And I'm still pissed af that necro did not get a cool default attack replacement skill and the only way to play a melee necro is a support for a soldier main. Boooo, I say.

You can also go Necro/Nightblade and dual-wield vampiric weapons, that sounds cool. Nightblade supports Cold + Vitality damage.

Codex Year of the Donut
I played the game for around 250h and never found a complete set outside of the Maiven's, which only has 3 parts. Although admittedly I'm not autistic enough to do extensive farming. I generally found the loot in Grim Dawn disappointing, which is obviously a big bummer for a game like that. It's not that the items aren't useful, it's just that apart from absolute peak items you would be hard pressed to find a significant difference between different tiers. I cannot even remember how many times I started a new character to try some blue weapon that I found on my main, only to get a mundane yellow drop that was usable a good couple levels earlier and completely outclassed the blue one I was excited about in damage. Huge, huge boner killer.
Main reason I quit playing was this.
The drops seem like they were designed for an online game with an active trading community.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's no such thing at max level. All the builds use mostly legendaries, with the occasional good green proc for resistances. While you are leveling, I think it's natural to expect to change your items, even if you are going from epic to yellow. If you want to go more time with your epics, just do it, marginal increases like +10% to damage isn't worth trading off the coolness factor. The problem with high level items is they are too many and you don't have a way to specifically go for the ones you want. Until the next expansion that is, if you have the pattern of the epic helm of your desired set, you can exchange it for the rest of the items in the set.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom