Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
It's probably behind POE on aggregate terms. But that sort of comes with successful GAAS models - a constant stream of content and iteration helps keep things fresh.

As for Ryzer's mention of Diablo and DD... 'Back in my day' purists are my favourite kind of gamers, for sure.

EDIT: Changed your mind about D1?

Codex Year of the Donut
:lol:

A Diablo clone? Did you mean to say 'ARPG'? Or is every isometric looter a Diablo clone?

I guess Call of Duty = just a Wolfenstein 3D clone.

GD is amazing. If it's gradually fallen behind the curve, it's because it's a ten year old game, at this point. It still has the best itemization and character skill system/progression of any ARPG in existence. An updated graphical/animation engine would make it the king of ARPGs today, no issues.
Theyre called Diablo clones because they are literally clones. The genre has not advanced whatsoever since Diablo 2, and has in many ways retrogressed. It is the video game genre equivalent of inbred pugs that can't stand on their own.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
jennifer-lawrence-j-law.gif

Codex Year of the Donut
If I took someone from 2000 who just got done playing Diablo 2 and put them in front of any single modern diablo-clone, they could pick up and play the game within 30 seconds flat.
Imagine trying to explain Unreal Tournament(1999) in 30 seconds to someone who just got done playing Doom in 1993.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Old enough to have played Doom by keyboard alone, and to realise that you don't defeat the point if all I need to do is say 'targeting reticle' instead of 'cursor', dipshit.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I think for now it would suffice to provide a copy of your birth certificate and a photo of your face next to a 1993 news paper and the Doom manual.

He'll have to settle for my dick down his throat, as per usual.

Codex Year of the Donut
imagining diablo 2 babies pissing their diapers when they try to control doom with the mouse and suddenly start running forward when they try to mouselook

Codex Year of the Donut
hurr durr, mouse works so differently, hurr durr, what are we going to do its too much innovation plz stahp!
FPS games rapidly changed how they played in the span of 5 years.
Diablo 2 clones have changed ... ??? Focused even more on the dopamine treadmill aspect?
Diablo 2 is cookie clicker for people who don't want to admit to liking cookie clicker. All of its clones are even worse.

Ryzer

Arcane
What Diablo 1 achieved is its athmosphere, its godly sound design, its rogue-like ( items with bonus and malus) aspect, it achieved to get me interested in it and finish it with a rather simplistic gameplay. Also the game doesn't drag for hours and hours for no reason, it has a perfect lifespan. None of those qualities were carried by diablo-likes, only the downsides ( with more downsides on top).

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I don't want to interrupt your very intellectual and cultured discussion but... Whether one things that GD should or should not be called "Diablo (2) clone" is not relevant to the fact that it is. Google it if you don't believe me. Or read THIS thread we are currently in. This is a fact. If one doesn't like it, thinks it is incorrect - be my guest. But using terminology that is widely accepted is just talking in terms that can be understand by everyone. Do i think if Grimoire really is a clone of Wizardy 7? Maybe, maybe not, but my opinion on the subject can't change the fact that it can be called that way. And i would understand why someone did it and what he meant by it.

On a side note. If a game like GD isn't a clone of Diablo 2 then i have a hard time finding any game that can be called "clone" of any other game.

Enough of being trolled for me for today. Please continue throwing shit at each other exchanging intelligent arguments.

Peachcurl

Cipher
"Diablo 2 clone" is hardly established terminology.

Also, completely misses the point of the discussion in the last bunch of posts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom