Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Maybe he was thinking that casting a spell requires an incantation, and that requires time.

Dorateen

Arcane
The concept of spells casters acting last in the round is derived from the old edition of D&D where a player handbook states:

"noted in the PHB, which warned you that most spells take some time to cast and as such would go off at the end of the round"

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, I can see that comparing this to D&D, and other RPGs in general, it makes kinda sense, but in TB blobbers it's just unfun.

He could've at least leave bards' instruments out of this ffs.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Song is less visceral than fist. At least at first.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Pretty nice loot in those chests at Samhain Mausoleum d:+)
Just need to farm one more perk key for the last one.

Got couple of more, if you're not fed up with me yet haha:

1. Is Pirate worth it? I have two saurians in the front row, built exactly the same way (bers>warr>pirate) - the one had lots of unlucky rolls on lvl ups and is still in his warrior class, the second one is already a pirate and is pretty beefed up (STR/SPD >70). The thing is, I just found Caliburnus and found out that's it's restricted only to few classes (warrior included), so it went to my lagging saur.
Do Pirates have any more weapon restrictions like that for some juicy stuff, i.e they are suppose to use mostly short blades, or Caliburnus was just an exception?

2. Probably mentioned already a few times, but what the hell - when you change caster class, is the new class' casting skill governs ALL previously learned spells?

I have 2 pure casters (wiz>thaum>necro and thaum>wiz>necro - messed up and forgot to dip in Sage for more SPs) - their necromoancy skill is still in it's infancy and it seems that all the previously learned spells (cone of cold etc) fizzle out a lot. If that's the case, it means that maxing out sorcery and alchemy was worthless, since it's always the final class' casting skill that matters?

3. Naga Assassin with maxed out HtH and lethal blow is dishing out some serious dmg left and right - I pumped some skills in swords on lvl ups, just in case, but it looks like she's doing great now.
Anyone else had a run with unarmed char and can confirm that they won't fall behind when the more and more powerful weapons will appear? I'm wondering whether to still put any points in weapon skills, or just focus on iron hands now and stick with unarmed until end of the game.

Efe

Erudite
I believe yes, it's always the final class' casting skill that matters, except arcanum

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Caliburnus is a holy sword, not useable by "scum" like pirates. ;) Pretty sure most other weapons are useable by them, since they are a premium class.

As to "falling behind", you are already multiclassing and meta gaming - so the chances of that are quite low. And weapon skills improve with use, so that even if you decide to switch to a weapon later it won't be much of an issue.

Dorateen

Arcane
Regarding pirates, I enjoy the backstab mechanic, and to clarify you only need to have a character hide in the shadows once in combat and then all subsequent attacks hit for double or triple damage. There are late game high hitpoint enemies that this became a viable and satisfying tactic, especially combined with a powerful weapon the pirate was wielding.

Nixheb

Arcane
Hum.... how is the unicorn figurine supposed to work ? I tried clicking on an altar (periwinkle chapel) but it didn't do anything.

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Hum.... how is the unicorn figurine supposed to work ? I tried clicking on an altar (periwinkle chapel) but it didn't do anything.

I think you have to use the figurine at an altar. And it works only once at each altar.

Nixheb

Arcane

I think you have to use the figurine at an altar. And it works only once at each altar.

Ok, let's rephrase it then (since I was a little bit vague... :D) : I tried at two different altars (altar = a stone with an holy symbol above it, when you click on it it starts glistering and the text "you are at the shrine" is displayed) to :

- click on the altar with the figurine selected as a pointer
- use the figurine, using the two alternate way (item + click on use, use then click on item)
- equipping the figurine before clicking (impossible to equip)

But nothing happens.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Nixheb I don't remember how exactly, but it should be pretty straightforward:

whocares Where do you find that item for paying to level up at the shrines? I seem to have done everything before the endgame areas (before putting the 8 tablets into the chests).
It's the unicorn you get in the Theosophists Lodge. Just touch a shrine with it - bam - free level.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Could be he is at an altar for blessing weapons, and not at the actual shrine.

I'm pretty sure you bless weapons at the shrines too. It's the Metalsmith sharpening that you do at the workshops or whatever they are called.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Might be a bug, since it is supposed to be a hand-to-hand weapon. Just try equiping it on your HtH-guy and see if the damage goes up or not.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Hard to say if it works, since my unarmed char is Naga assassin with HtH maxed, lethal blow over 80, and iron hands cranked up, so her unarmed dmg is pretty high.

Knuckle duster's dmg is only d6 (or d8) and has no lethal property, so even if it's governed by HtH, and not maces, it's stil subpar when it comes to extra attack potential with both hands empty.

Anyway, I've restarted again to adjust my build/multiclass paths a bit and just reached the point where I dropped off previously, i.e Samhain Mausoleum. Need to farm those perk keys, since I got only three right know.

QQ on cryptic puzzles - how was one suppose to know to crush the cosmic egg and combine the yolk with the mechano egg?
I admit that I had to look it up - were there any clues on that?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
QQ on cryptic puzzles - how was one suppose to know to crush the cosmic egg and combine the yolk with the mechano egg?
I admit that I had to look it up - were there any clues on that?

It felt obvious to me despite there being no clues :M

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Hard to say if it works, since my unarmed char is Naga assassin with HtH maxed, lethal blow over 80, and iron hands cranked up, so her unarmed dmg is pretty high.

I meant if it is hammer & mace and your unarmed char has 0 points in it, then the damage should go down a lot if the weapon is governed by that skill instead of hand-to-hand.

As to the puzzle, crushing the egg was pretty much the only quest item there to crush in that machine. But combining it with the mechano egg - well, there are not too many quest items you have at that point and both are eggs. Though I think I also had to look it up.

Piotrovitz

Savant
I meant if it is hammer & mace and your unarmed char has 0 points in it, then the damage should go down a lot if the weapon is governed by that skill instead of hand-to-hand.
True, but I guess even with hammer&mace skill cranked up, it's still rather useless for HtH char, since it cannot instakill, like the unarmed extra attack can do.

As for the crusher - it was used mainly for crushing the pebbles, without which you couldn't progress further. Haven't thought it may be used again, for some cryptic item that you don't even know when and how you are going to use, comparing to the obvious pebbles. Guess I just to have to try everything and keep an open mind, especially in a game with such wonky quests and plot as Grimwah d: ^ )

Piotrovitz

Savant
Just finished the Dirge puzzle - that was a pretty cool one. Now heading towards the famous turtle ride.

I've caught second wind and started to enjoying the game as in the beginning.
The only thing that bums me out is that I'm so early in the game and most of my chars are at the end of their multiclass paths and have all the relevant weapon/spellcasting skills maxed out.
It's kinda like you would hit level cap in BG2 in the middle of chapter 2 and the only thing to look forward to is better loot. And plot of course.

While I'm here, couple of more questions:

1. One of my saur berserkers reached end of his multiclass path as an assassin - the second one I'd like to make a pirate, just for diversity, but I haven't stockpiled enought skillpoints yet.
Is there any tangible difference between those two classes, beside stat requirements, i.e is there some pirate-only gear?

2. The shield icon being grayed out even when it's equipped - I assume that this is because char is wielding 2H weapon?

3. If above is the case, that means I can give shield to my unarmed Naga assassin. The question is - while carrying a shield won't she loose some of the extra attacks? Are those tied to second hand being free?

4. Are perk keys needed anywhere else then Samhain Mausoleum, or can I dump them like the locksmith ones?

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Maxing out skills doesn't mean much. It is supposed to happen by the mid-game at the latest. The level and the attributes play an even more important role, eg. speed.

1. Check the manual or the Grimoire wiki for the differences. Don't know if there is any specialized gear.

2. Haven't tried that.

3. You can throw them away.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, I noticed that cranking SPD on melees is the way to go and leads to more lethal blow galore.

I'm wondering where to put points for casters - since SPD doesn't affect initiative, then the best bet is DEV for more spell points I guess.

Thanks for all the tips Lady :3

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I'm wondering where to put points for casters - since SPD doesn't affect initiative, then the best bet is DEV for more spell points I guess.

Yeah DEV is probably the best one. Cleve said somewhere that with enough SPD, spellcasters can be faster than melee characters, though I haven't seen that myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom