Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Alas, there is only one cane of corpus. Dear boy, you have lost your precious 600 hours !

Two, actually. If you kill the guy outside when you meet him first, you loot the cane. Then he doesn't open his abode for you, but you can break the door or pick the look if you are good enough - and kill him the second time for another cane.

Buggy, unbalanced, overpowered stuff - should have been in Early Access.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer]
notification_icon_flag_dark.png
forum_topicicon_reply.png

Thanks. I am really glad to hear you are enjoying the game. That makes me happy to hear it. Just a little more work and I will be issuing a version worth playing all over again because it is going to have the parts that are kind of sparse completely filled out and there will be more balance in many things.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
?ZEP? spamming racist ratings. Fear of Cleve's tremendous Law team has made the man go nuts.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Has Cleve ever mentioned if the mana regeneration for different races is working as intended? drow being the worst and dwarves among the best sounds like a bug to me.

Biggus

Scholar
Has Cleve ever mentioned if the mana regeneration for different races is working as intended? drow being the worst and dwarves among the best sounds like a bug to me.

What I don't understand at all, is any of the regen rates, working or not. What I mean is that most games have some sort of mechanic to either prevent you from simply sleeping to regain HP/SP or at least hinder you in some way, in other words, to force you to manage your points. I guess that is what the MET and unimplemented food were for, but without them...

As it stands now, I just cast the biggest thing I have, then sleep, that is if I even cast at all. I have a cleric that never heals, a smith that can't smith but is a better bard (faster) than the bard. I have a ranger who never shoots a bow. The warrior is the worst fighter of them all FFS. That just can't be 'working as intended'. :( All the magic users seem the same. None really have much an individual 'feel' about them. I have spellbooks full of spells that I never use, not so much because I don't want to, but mainly because there is no point.

Fights seem to be crit, crit, crit, stun, rinse and repeat. I can't help but think an upcoming patch will 'address' this, and crits will become a rarity. For what it's worth, the smith that we all thought was broken because he hardly ever got a crit or an increase in the stat, probably is pretty close to how it should have been, though the whole mechanic itself is totally broken, because it goes from very hard to very easy (to increase levels) when it should go from very easy to very hard.

Same as the 'missing' levels. If the original design was for 20 something, and now people are finishing with half that, does this mean they never got to put enough points in stuff that was designed to have the points put in it?

Anyway, I guess we wait and see. I still reckon the game is about as broken as a game can be, but what the fanboys don't seem to understand is that calling it broken, AND playing it and having fun, are not mutually exclusive.
If a game this broken is still fun to play, imagine how good it could have been!

I reckon one area that a lot would agree with though, is that the dungeons and puzzles are very well done, at least in the early game, which is where I am still.

Lord Andre

Arcane

What I don't understand at all, is any of the regen rates, working or not. What I mean is that most games have some sort of mechanic to either prevent you from simply sleeping to regain HP/SP or at least hinder you in some way, in other words, to force you to manage your points. I guess that is what the MET and unimplemented food were for, but without them...

As it stands now, I just cast the biggest thing I have, then sleep, that is if I even cast at all. I have a cleric that never heals, a smith that can't smith but is a better bard (faster) than the bard. I have a ranger who never shoots a bow. The warrior is the worst fighter of them all FFS. That just can't be 'working as intended'. :( All the magic users seem the same. None really have much an individual 'feel' about them. I have spellbooks full of spells that I never use, not so much because I don't want to, but mainly because there is no point.

Fights seem to be crit, crit, crit, stun, rinse and repeat. I can't help but think an upcoming patch will 'address' this, and crits will become a rarity. For what it's worth, the smith that we all thought was broken because he hardly ever got a crit or an increase in the stat, probably is pretty close to how it should have been, though the whole mechanic itself is totally broken, because it goes from very hard to very easy (to increase levels) when it should go from very easy to very hard.

Same as the 'missing' levels. If the original design was for 20 something, and now people are finishing with half that, does this mean they never got to put enough points in stuff that was designed to have the points put in it?

Anyway, I guess we wait and see. I still reckon the game is about as broken as a game can be, but what the fanboys don't seem to understand is that calling it broken, AND playing it and having fun, are not mutually exclusive.
If a game this broken is still fun to play, imagine how good it could have been!

I reckon one area that a lot would agree with though, is that the dungeons and puzzles are very well done, at least in the early game, which is where I am still.

You could try not obsessing over musical instruments and lethal blow and just make a regular party...

Biggus

Scholar

You could try not obsessing over musical instruments and lethal blow and just make a regular party...

A 'regular' party that consists of no bard, no berserkers, no smiths, no rangers (that don't use bows), and no Rosy. I see. So just the cleric who never casts a heal, and er... yeah, the warrior who can't fight to save his life. lol.
Fanboy much?

What is it about being objective that is so hard?

Fun to play, full of broken mechanics.

Not mutually exclusive.

You can disagree with the first, that is subjective, but the second... nah, broken is broken. You just need to take off your Cleve-o-goggles.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

It's not about how good it could have been, but how good it will be. You admit that you enjoy the game even despite the current flaws, and yet you still keep whining about "fanboys". Yes, everyone acknowledges that there are things that need fixing and polishing. So I don't see where you think everyone else is not objective about this.

Weasel
Don't think so, think that was just said in the heat of the moment when he thought he'd given him a free key for some reason

mondblut

Arcane
FFUUUUU, I don't want to restart for a third time with 4 pirates, 2 assassins and 2 jesters :negative:

Just slice exp curve in half and drop stat reset on multiclassing.

Lord Andre

Arcane
A 'regular' party that consists of no bard, no berserkers, no smiths, no rangers (that don't use bows), and no Rosy. I see. So just the cleric who never casts a heal, and er... yeah, the warrior who can't fight to save his life. lol.
Fanboy much?

What is it about being objective that is so hard?

Fun to play, full of broken mechanics.

Not mutually exclusive.

You can disagree with the first, that is subjective, but the second... nah, broken is broken. You just need to take off your Cleve-o-goggles.

Butthurt much ? It was just a suggestion.

You can play berserker, metalsmith, warrior, ranger (with a bow), thaumaturge, cleric(templar), necro, sage.

If you only give the beserker lethal blow and ignore musical instruments and Rosy who is an obvious newbie crutch then you will have the "classic" experience you were talking about.

Or don't, it makes me no difference.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
FFUUUUU, I don't want to restart for a third time with 4 pirates, 2 assassins and 2 jesters :negative:

Just slice exp curve in half and drop stat reset on multiclassing.
Yeah, I really like the thought of having classes to work toward. Cleve's solution seems to reduce the incline and make balance issues even worse by allowing even more powerful classes up front. Though that does depend somewhat on what other changes he introduces at the same time.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
So now that time has passed, how are you guys finding the game? I still don't have it so I was just wondering.

The sheer fact we now discuss this game more than Pillars of Eternity speaks for its self....

Is that a good thing or a bad? I wanted to know if the game lived up to the hype and such.

Cleveland rode the wave of hype at its peak to make a quick buck, and succeeded. 5k+ sales at $40 (minus Steam's cut and taxes) is good money for such low effort, considering the game has been out there in some shape or form since the late 1990s. Could have easily hit 10k+ (or even much more - there's been a lot of interest all around the world that died out after the post-release broken saves / lack of balance fiasco) if he spent time balancing stuff, making stuff work and patching out bugs before release - that is, assuming he is as good at programming as he claims himself to be, which all evidence points to the contrary.

In any case, you can try the superdemo or ride the high seas (there is no DRM) and decide if $40 is worth it or not. There are a couple of people here who seem to genuinely enjoy it, though their arguments inevitably end up referencing their nostalgia for Wiz7 (a far superior game in every way).

Reads like a pre-release diatribe. Try to keep up, the game is out and sold almost 5000 copies without even a manual. Before you spout more drivel, step out of the way because the incline steamroller is about to make you into roadkill. Did you even play the game? I don't think you did.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
So now that time has passed, how are you guys finding the game? I still don't have it so I was just wondering.

The sheer fact we now discuss this game more than Pillars of Eternity speaks for its self....

Is that a good thing or a bad? I wanted to know if the game lived up to the hype and such.

I guess it depends on your individual level of fanboyism.

/\
|
|
This skidmark is Philip Moore. Fact.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Backup your game folder, men. The neanderthal is sure to be breaking something if he can't figure out how to use the STEAM API properly.

Zep--

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
?ZEP? spamming racist ratings. Fear of Cleve's tremendous Law team has made the man go nuts.

Septic seppo was trying to get support on the forum but no ownership icon of course. Not the scum of the earth at the bottom of the human barrel. It is necessary to excavate thousands of feet below the barrel to reach Zep Zepo and you have to first chew through his hideous wife to finally hit the solid layer of grease he swims in as an invertebrate. Sep Zappo literally needs a new hominid classification - HOMO SEWERUS - to convey his level of toxicity.

Oh and I almost forgot - like all such slippery eels he was crying like a little girl about all the Vietnamese kids he and his wife sell into sexual slavery. Virtue signaling big-time. It would take a hundred Zeps to make one adult male.

BANNED. FOREVER. PIRATE BASTARD. STICK THAT INTO YOUR NECKBEARD AND SMOKE IT CUCK.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom