Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Incendax

Augur
Grimwah really requires tanks to be tanky. IOW, you definitely want shields, heavy armor and high HP on those two. I now go with Bonus HP on character creation for the tanks. You might say it won't matter in the long run for fighting classes, but it saves you a lot of trouble and most of all time in the beginning.
Oh definitely! I’m planning to go Cleric > Templar > Warrior > Berserker. I think everything will be fine once I hit Templar, but hoooooly shit did I underestimate how squishy Cleric would be. This is going to be 10 levels of raw masochism.

Incendax

Augur
DnD clerics originally didn't have any attack spells and were basically bless/prayer or heal bots. They needed a secondary function or it would be boring to play them, hence the armour and blunt weapons. And then 2nd Ed gave them attack spells, and 3.x made them into CoDzilla...
Yeah, armor and blunt weapons are what I’m used to. I wasn’t even expecting super heavy plate, just some nice chain or scale. Totally blew me away when they couldn’t even wear leather. This is totally my fault though. I completely forgot Wizardry priests have always been a robes class.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I’m planning to go Cleric > Templar > Warrior > Berserker. I think everything will be fine once I hit Templar, but hoooooly shit did I underestimate how squishy Cleric would be. This is going to be 10 levels of raw masochism.

You will hit Level 6 relatively quickly, but Levels 7 to 10 will take a lot of time. The best time to change class are Levels 6 or 7 in my opinion.

Incendax

Augur
You will hit Level 6 relatively quickly, but Levels 7 to 10 will take a lot of time. The best time to change class are Levels 6 or 7 in my opinion.
I'm seriously tempted by Raise Dead at 10, since I've heard you need that in a few places to use on NPCs. But I suppose I can just buy scrolls of Raise Dead and force restock. How many times does Raise Dead actually come up?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Raise Dead is not that important - Resurrect works on your own party, if you don't wait too long. There are Raise Dead scrolls and a couple items with the spell.

From what I remember, the NPC's you can raise from the dead aren't even that great and certainly not important (Mistral, Medea, a Ratkin in the Pyramid too I think). Well, there is one exception: the Codex Troll is pretty great, if you are planning to take NPC's into your party. Not sure about Hoth Sagoth or whatever his name is - maybe he can also be raised from the dead, but you need to do the Wastes beginning for that.

Incendax

Augur
Assassin vs Pirate.
These two classes seem very similar, with a slight emphasis on HTH combat versus... whatever the Pirate does.
Does the Pirate get slightly better item choices or something?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Does the Pirate get slightly better item choices or something?

Pirate can wear heavy armour, which the assassin can't. Meanwhile the assassin can use a bunch of things that are otherwise caster exclusive iirc, especially things available only to necros, but I'm not fully sure.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The Iron Hands and Ninjitsu skills of the Assassin are very useful if you want a hand-to-hand combat guy. In my latest playthrough, the Naga Assassin is ridiculously effective with Ninjitsu and Iron Hands at around 60-70. Once you get Lethal Blow to 70, unarmed combat will also produce instant kills.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, except for unarmed Lethal Blow you need to be an Assassin or Jester I think. It won't work once you switch to another class.

EDIT: Great, now he deleted his post.

Incendax

Augur
*Continues the adventure*
So, I'm pretty sure Dragonflies are either bugged or Cleve is intentionally trolling me. Oreworms are also a giant pain in the ass, since I basically strip down to my underwear and punch them to death. But at least they are not the immediate and profound anal cavity violation of the Dragonfly.

Incline!

OadFqde.png

kOsnyi6.png

Q4kP1XL.png

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Well then.

grimend3.png

:excellent:

And it took me only three months. A little disappointed at no evil ending with siding with Ahriman, but so it goes.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore thanks for the great game, I enjoyed it tons, despite some of the odd quirks and weirdo design decisions. In fact I'd even say I enjoyed it more than Wiz7 overall.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 5 hours ago
Has been a while, took a brief break for the first time in about 20 years. I will get another update up in the month coming with some impressive fixes and new features. After that it will probably be quite a while before Grimoire is updated again. I have already added new game mechanics like Necromancers increasing hitpoints by sucking out life force for certain existing spells, etc.

Shadenuat

Arcane
When you try to scribe id'ed spellbooks bought from npc but can't due to game saying failed to id is that a bug or low Scribe skill?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
When you try to scribe id'ed spellbooks bought from npc but can't due to game saying failed to id is that a bug or low Scribe skill?

Drop the spellbook, pick it up, identify again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom