Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

rickralsten

Educated
I'm going to spend the day creating a party, I feel zero need to rush this game.

Can you keep rerolling dice till you get "god stats" or is there some sort of points array?

Also, full party of 8 or should one leave slots open for NPCs?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
By the way, did someone notify the Guiness Book of World Records already? Looks like DNF just lost its claim to the throne.

4QE8Y6H.png

Spoiler: Duke Nukem Forever is #2 on that list.

makchanka

Arbiter
oh my fucking god. what the actual fuck.

I had a dream last night about a weird blobber. My party was going through a cruciform tower. It was made up of the Star Trek: TNG bridge crew and that fat black lady from Community. We got to the fourth floor, turned left, and after walking a ways we noticed a trap. Tasha Yar buckled on a strap-on, bent me over a stone bench, and penetrated me. Riker then started fucking her. While I was at the bottom of this childhood-destroying fuckpile, I noticed Data had built a sentient handbag that looked like a puppet from Peewee's Playhouse. The fat black lady from Community delivered a report to Picard that read, "Y'all are fucked."

The sentient handbag began telling us horrible truths that should never be known in a universal language discernible to all animal life. Picard covered his ears and screamed. It was like watching an emotionless father figure cry for the first time. We all screamed. I couldn't cum.

I woke up and checked Steam to make fun of people who thought Grimoire wasn't vaporware. I gave a start on seeing the impossible: pricing for Grimoire.

I had a dream about a blobber that would desecrate my childhood in the most heinous ways possible. I had a dream that unknowable truths would be revealed.

tl;dr I had a prescient Twin Peaks dream about Grimoire.

Dexter

Arcane
Had my first Fatal/Hard Crash at Dungeon door to Aquavia. :negative:

I will persist!

Sum questions:

- If you start in Sanctuary, you can explore at the beginning of the game and get some Lvlups and items for free, but the area outside aside from a few Mobs doesn't particularly seem ready, how do you use Teleport & Dimension Door to get outta there to an easier area?

- You can also see that Cleve is apparently copying from Fallout:
screenshot4oos65.png

screenshot555ss2.png

screenshot6h3sdc.png

- If you start in The Shrine, how do you get past these guys without at least half the party dying, having explored everything else available?
screenshot2gdsi5.png

- In the Aquavia Dungeon, how do you open teh big metal skeleton door, no key so far seems to fit?
screenshot8xqsx8.png

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
In light of this glorious incline, I will gift a copy to the first person who: 1. does not have the game on Steam, and 2. can answer me the Riddle of Steel.

If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of steel?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his mountain.

Edit: Naveen has won his place in Valhalla.

Last edited:

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So, this is being savaged by the user reviews on Steam... Is Codex to be sad about that, or is that to be celebrated a la Numenera?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Detailed reviews are starting to come in.

So GRIMOIRE is out. It's a little late, since it was delayed from its original August 1 release date, which was delayed from its June release date, which was delayed from its original March 2013 release date, which was delayed from its 2005 release date, which was delayed from its 2000 release date, which was delayed from its 1997 release date. So it's been a long time coming! In the meantime, Cleve "Neanderthal" Blakemore has espoused his opinions on many things, like game design and black people and the fact that satanists designed television to make women to go crazy and eat Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream and this causes men to become stupid because they can't have sex with women who are eating ice cream so much. It's definitely a real problem, which is explained on his blog here http://vault-co.blogspot.com/2007/06/television-is-designed-to-kill.html . Fortunately men playing videogames for 600 hours doesn't affect women or themselves in any way, so Cleve is definitely NOT a hypocrite for making an endless CRPG and that's not a big deal. Phew!

Anyway, I don't want to get sidetracked with discussing Cleve's opinions, like how he thinks Stephen Hawking secretly died and was replaced by a duplicate or that black people are intrinsically stupid. Let's discuss the game! If you are familiar with CRPGs from the late 90s, you know that Wizardry 7 was to many people the pinnacle of game design and dungeon crawling. It's a well-designed product, and stands out from the other games that came out at the time, most of which tried to improve on the formula by adding bad gimmicks or lots of meaningless stats or changing the combat in ways which were detrimental to the experience. For example, FATE "improved" on Wizardry by making everything enormous for no reason, which allowed them to claim 200 hours of gameplay even though most of the world was empty or contained repeats of other areas because they simply didn't have time to make a game that big and put interesting things in all of it. Grimoire fits right into this period of CRPG design, because it's clearly based on Wizardry -- and Wiz7 in particular -- but changes the formula in ways that make it worse.

Let's talk about party composition. Wizardry had six party members. Grimoire has eight! EIGHT IS MORE! IT'S BETTER BECAUSE MORE!!! Anyway eight characters attacking an enemy at once would be a bit much if they remained the same as in Wizardry or Bard's Tale or whatever so as a result Cleve has to weaken party members and buff enemies. The result is over a long term the same balance is maintained, but in the specific case random encounters can simply kill your party members with no recourse and with nothing you could have done to prevent it. This is mostly true early on, of course, before you get spells and skills to mitigate it, and before you grind out the levels to improve your characters. If you're a big Bard's Tale fan you won't mind having your party die for no real reason over and over again early on. Anyone who's used to newer RPG design, or early RPG design in actual good games, should stay away. This ain't Might & Magic; it's more of a Wizards & Warriors. I was originally going to call it Dungeon Lords but that's, frankly, too harsh for this game. Cleve Blakemore may believe that Europeans are genetically predisposed to avoid jaywalking and Americans jaywalk because of all the non-white people poisoning our genes but even he doesn't believe David W. Bradley's Dungeon Lords is good.

Anyway! If you like shoddy Wizardry ripoffs that overpromise on everything but more or less deliver some dungeons and places to explore and items to puzzle over, and you don't mind giving your money to an insane white supremacist, then you should buy Grimoire Heralds of the Winged Exemplar. I can't say you should buy it if you like Wizardry, because those games are too good to really serve as a measuring stick. This is a game for people who have exausted every CRPG series already, for people who struggled through every other game there is. This is a game for people who think insect noises that repeat every half a second, layered for every insect in a six-enemy stack so that they make you want to kill yourself, and which you can't turn off without also turning off the music because apparently coding SFX and BGM meters separately is too hard even for a Neanderthal Supergenius, are good and cool. This is a game for people who like Eye of the Beholder -- not the real one, the GBA one -- or I guess for people who really really hate Aboriginal people. If you fit both those descriptions, buy Grimoire immediately. You will never find another game as perfect for you as this one. Hell, maybe someday Cleve will add custom portraits and you can make everyone look like Pepe or something and then you'll never need to play another game as long as you live! Mazel tov!

jfunk

Augur
- If you start in The Shrine, how do you get past these guys without at least half the party dying, having explored everything else available?

It's been a long time, but I don't recall them being all that much of a problem after I explored the area and had a few levels. Put them to sleep, use all your abilities, etc.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In light of this glorious incline, I will gift a copy to the first person who: 1. does not have the game on Steam, and 2. can answer me the Riddle of Steel.

If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of steel?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his mountain.

Steel isn't strong, boy. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it? Flesh grows weak. Steel becomes brittle. But the will is indomitable.

Namutree

Savant
Screw it, I can't wait for an FAQ, wiki, or game manual. I'll just wing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom