Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Detailed reviews are starting to come in.

So GRIMOIRE is out. It's a little late, since it was delayed from its original August 1 release date, which was delayed from its June release date, which was delayed from its original March 2013 release date, which was delayed from its 2005 release date, which was delayed from its 2000 release date, which was delayed from its 1997 release date. So it's been a long time coming! In the meantime, Cleve "Neanderthal" Blakemore has espoused his opinions on many things, like game design and black people and the fact that satanists designed television to make women to go crazy and eat Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream and this causes men to become stupid because they can't have sex with women who are eating ice cream so much. It's definitely a real problem, which is explained on his blog here http://vault-co.blogspot.com/2007/06/television-is-designed-to-kill.html . Fortunately men playing videogames for 600 hours doesn't affect women or themselves in any way, so Cleve is definitely NOT a hypocrite for making an endless CRPG and that's not a big deal. Phew!

Anyway, I don't want to get sidetracked with discussing Cleve's opinions, like how he thinks Stephen Hawking secretly died and was replaced by a duplicate or that black people are intrinsically stupid. Let's discuss the game! If you are familiar with CRPGs from the late 90s, you know that Wizardry 7 was to many people the pinnacle of game design and dungeon crawling. It's a well-designed product, and stands out from the other games that came out at the time, most of which tried to improve on the formula by adding bad gimmicks or lots of meaningless stats or changing the combat in ways which were detrimental to the experience. For example, FATE "improved" on Wizardry by making everything enormous for no reason, which allowed them to claim 200 hours of gameplay even though most of the world was empty or contained repeats of other areas because they simply didn't have time to make a game that big and put interesting things in all of it. Grimoire fits right into this period of CRPG design, because it's clearly based on Wizardry -- and Wiz7 in particular -- but changes the formula in ways that make it worse.

Let's talk about party composition. Wizardry had six party members. Grimoire has eight! EIGHT IS MORE! IT'S BETTER BECAUSE MORE!!! Anyway eight characters attacking an enemy at once would be a bit much if they remained the same as in Wizardry or Bard's Tale or whatever so as a result Cleve has to weaken party members and buff enemies. The result is over a long term the same balance is maintained, but in the specific case random encounters can simply kill your party members with no recourse and with nothing you could have done to prevent it. This is mostly true early on, of course, before you get spells and skills to mitigate it, and before you grind out the levels to improve your characters. If you're a big Bard's Tale fan you won't mind having your party die for no real reason over and over again early on. Anyone who's used to newer RPG design, or early RPG design in actual good games, should stay away. This ain't Might & Magic; it's more of a Wizards & Warriors. I was originally going to call it Dungeon Lords but that's, frankly, too harsh for this game. Cleve Blakemore may believe that Europeans are genetically predisposed to avoid jaywalking and Americans jaywalk because of all the non-white people poisoning our genes but even he doesn't believe David W. Bradley's Dungeon Lords is good.

Anyway! If you like shoddy Wizardry ripoffs that overpromise on everything but more or less deliver some dungeons and places to explore and items to puzzle over, and you don't mind giving your money to an insane white supremacist, then you should buy Grimoire Heralds of the Winged Exemplar. I can't say you should buy it if you like Wizardry, because those games are too good to really serve as a measuring stick. This is a game for people who have exausted every CRPG series already, for people who struggled through every other game there is. This is a game for people who think insect noises that repeat every half a second, layered for every insect in a six-enemy stack so that they make you want to kill yourself, and which you can't turn off without also turning off the music because apparently coding SFX and BGM meters separately is too hard even for a Neanderthal Supergenius, are good and cool. This is a game for people who like Eye of the Beholder -- not the real one, the GBA one -- or I guess for people who really really hate Aboriginal people. If you fit both those descriptions, buy Grimoire immediately. You will never find another game as perfect for you as this one. Hell, maybe someday Cleve will add custom portraits and you can make everyone look like Pepe or something and then you'll never need to play another game as long as you live! Mazel tov!
So which SJW hell hole is this tranny from?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
By the way, we need a ?SQUIRREL? rating now. There's no better confused rating atm. And will never be.
DZ43ML7.jpg

Covenant

Savant
In light of this glorious incline, I will gift a copy to the first person who: 1. does not have the game on Steam, and 2. can answer me the Riddle of Steel.

If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of steel?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his mountain.

Steel isn't strong, boy. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it? Flesh grows weak. Steel becomes brittle. But the will is indomitable.

Too easy to be worthy of the ultimate in 'thal blobber technology. You should have made him punch a camel.

?ATTENTION?: New versions of the game require you to uninstall/reinstall. Steam tech isn't completely Neanderthal compatible it seems.

So, it's finally out? Wait, no Linux version - no deal.
Bumvelcrow got it to work on Wine. And some others too. It's on page 23 or thereabouts

I'm weak and playing it on Win7 virtual machine.

Ent

Savant
The previous thread got me to play wizardry 6-8 and gave me some nice laughs so I guess I owe it enough to give it a shot.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Detailed reviews are starting to come in.

So GRIMOIRE is out. It's a little late, since it was delayed from its original August 1 release date, which was delayed from its June release date, which was delayed from its original March 2013 release date, which was delayed from its 2005 release date, which was delayed from its 2000 release date, which was delayed from its 1997 release date. So it's been a long time coming! In the meantime, Cleve "Neanderthal" Blakemore has espoused his opinions on many things, like game design and black people and the fact that satanists designed television to make women to go crazy and eat Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream and this causes men to become stupid because they can't have sex with women who are eating ice cream so much. It's definitely a real problem, which is explained on his blog here http://vault-co.blogspot.com/2007/06/television-is-designed-to-kill.html . Fortunately men playing videogames for 600 hours doesn't affect women or themselves in any way, so Cleve is definitely NOT a hypocrite for making an endless CRPG and that's not a big deal. Phew!

Anyway, I don't want to get sidetracked with discussing Cleve's opinions, like how he thinks Stephen Hawking secretly died and was replaced by a duplicate or that black people are intrinsically stupid. Let's discuss the game! If you are familiar with CRPGs from the late 90s, you know that Wizardry 7 was to many people the pinnacle of game design and dungeon crawling. It's a well-designed product, and stands out from the other games that came out at the time, most of which tried to improve on the formula by adding bad gimmicks or lots of meaningless stats or changing the combat in ways which were detrimental to the experience. For example, FATE "improved" on Wizardry by making everything enormous for no reason, which allowed them to claim 200 hours of gameplay even though most of the world was empty or contained repeats of other areas because they simply didn't have time to make a game that big and put interesting things in all of it. Grimoire fits right into this period of CRPG design, because it's clearly based on Wizardry -- and Wiz7 in particular -- but changes the formula in ways that make it worse.

Let's talk about party composition. Wizardry had six party members. Grimoire has eight! EIGHT IS MORE! IT'S BETTER BECAUSE MORE!!! Anyway eight characters attacking an enemy at once would be a bit much if they remained the same as in Wizardry or Bard's Tale or whatever so as a result Cleve has to weaken party members and buff enemies. The result is over a long term the same balance is maintained, but in the specific case random encounters can simply kill your party members with no recourse and with nothing you could have done to prevent it. This is mostly true early on, of course, before you get spells and skills to mitigate it, and before you grind out the levels to improve your characters. If you're a big Bard's Tale fan you won't mind having your party die for no real reason over and over again early on. Anyone who's used to newer RPG design, or early RPG design in actual good games, should stay away. This ain't Might & Magic; it's more of a Wizards & Warriors. I was originally going to call it Dungeon Lords but that's, frankly, too harsh for this game. Cleve Blakemore may believe that Europeans are genetically predisposed to avoid jaywalking and Americans jaywalk because of all the non-white people poisoning our genes but even he doesn't believe David W. Bradley's Dungeon Lords is good.

Anyway! If you like shoddy Wizardry ripoffs that overpromise on everything but more or less deliver some dungeons and places to explore and items to puzzle over, and you don't mind giving your money to an insane white supremacist, then you should buy Grimoire Heralds of the Winged Exemplar. I can't say you should buy it if you like Wizardry, because those games are too good to really serve as a measuring stick. This is a game for people who have exausted every CRPG series already, for people who struggled through every other game there is. This is a game for people who think insect noises that repeat every half a second, layered for every insect in a six-enemy stack so that they make you want to kill yourself, and which you can't turn off without also turning off the music because apparently coding SFX and BGM meters separately is too hard even for a Neanderthal Supergenius, are good and cool. This is a game for people who like Eye of the Beholder -- not the real one, the GBA one -- or I guess for people who really really hate Aboriginal people. If you fit both those descriptions, buy Grimoire immediately. You will never find another game as perfect for you as this one. Hell, maybe someday Cleve will add custom portraits and you can make everyone look like Pepe or something and then you'll never need to play another game as long as you live! Mazel tov!
So which SJW hell hole is this tranny from?
Found out the answer to my own question.
GYXXVEYJRSqmrIORhZhOTw.png

Not-A-Newfag

Literate
In light of this glorious incline, I will gift a copy to the first person who: 1. does not have the game on Steam, and 2. can answer me the Riddle of Steel.

If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of steel?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his mountain.

"all the power of both steel and flesh come from one's beliefs. "

Now please gift me mah copy of Grimwah. Will succ 4 blobber

majamaja

Augur
Cleve should forbid repurchasing the game for people who dared to refund it.
They are clearly too ungrateful to bask in Grimoire Glory.
Why is Drog so butthurt anyway?
As Infinitron said, he's a wannabe game dev (read: modder) whose other life accomplishments are 1) betraying his race to do low-level translation for Chinese alphas and sleep with underage prostitutes 2) well, uh... he was around for Grimoire's release, so there's that.

HubU

Literate
Some guy streaming it doesn't seem to be encountering any game-breaking bug, and seem to have quite some fun with it.

Grimoire X360 confirmed?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
This is MOMENTOUS for Milky way and Codex as whole. We need to make sure this moment never disappears into oblivion and for future generation to be preserved.

Just like 2016 election this also played huge role in Codexian lives and should be appropriately marked. I have a proposal:

-For those of us who believed in Cleve all this time and posted in ONE AND TRUE Grimoire thread our messages of support (which some liars label as just encouraging a long standing meme, which is a LIE!) we should receive somewhere on our profile small golden baby (like icon the ones who supported Trump received). When you hover over it with mouse it should say something like Golden babies are flying or something similar

-Heretics, naysayers and others should get on their profile a small icon in shape of crow on a plate which should say when hovered over 'I ate a crow and it' s yummy' or something like that.

What do you think, broes?

Epsilon

Cipher
Made a little video of Incline, on Incline OS. With music.
Found out that to get the music working on Linux, you have to install directmusic and gmdls with winetricks in the prefix, then everything works fine. Then it's possible to enjoy incline, and with superior window mode on Linux.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Steel isn't strong, boy. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it? Flesh grows weak. Steel becomes brittle. But the will is indomitable.

:mrpresident::shredder:
rating_thanks.png

DeepOcean

Arcane
To writing the game off as a joke or being butthurt about the bugs is silly, some perspective to the children out there:

When I first played Fallout 1, there was a crash and I couldn't even reach the Master doesn't matter what I tried.
Fallout 2 had a bug where if you had OCD and collected too much loot, the game would hard crash and bye bye your save game. That happened to me.
Bloodlines had bugs with NPCs flying like helicopters and being so unoptimized that half of the population of the Earth couldn't play it at release. I couldn't reach the end game because of a hard crash on the Vampire hunting society.
ToEE was so full of bugs that spawned an entire modding scene to fix them.

Most of the bugs on those games were crippling and many of them were only fixed by modders later as the developers didn't have the resources. I don't get where you guys took this notion that it is so unexpected for a software to have bugs, especially made by a guy alone on his bunker. I only care if the game is stable enough to be playable and if it is indeed well made incline, I can and will forgive anything for true incline, only waiting for you guys to spill out if the game is worthy or not the hassle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom