Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Seriously. You're doing yourself a disservice by coming in here and getting tips from people who have played the game to death over so many years. Just experience it the way that seems natural and enjoy it or you'll end up spoiling the good parts which revolve around exploration, build tinkering and skill discovery.

FWIW, I love Prophecies and it's my favorite campaign. You don't need heroes to complete it and henchies do fine. Also, there's multiple communities where you can post and people will be very much eager to party with you, as new players are something that a lot of people enjoy seeing more of.

I grew bored with casting stuff relatively quickly and wanted to try a Warrior (since I cant be an assassin starting in prophecies) is there anything I cant do with that profession and henchmen? It doesnt have to be optimal just not "you locked yourself out of doing that 100 hours ago by choosing the wrong profession"

Its a curse, I can never really decide on a clas sin these games

Only thing it can't do is run caster builds because of its energy scaling. Warrior is a very solid choice as a main profession and has a lot of effective build variety compared to most professions. It's also one of the better professions for multiclassing since it can use daggers, scythes, and spears effectively. Technically people say Dervish is more powerful for the melee role and that may be true, but in my opinion Warrior is more fun. Dervish has a smaller range of builds and finnicky gay flash enchantment shit that's annoying to keep track of.

Cromwell

Arcane
Tanking for henchmen how to do it? I understand this isnt the standard mmo where I just stand there and spam some stuff and have aggro. But what does the game expect of me? Do I wait until I have sufficent skills and then knock down enemies that run to my casters or slow these enemies? Or is it expected that I somehow bind them to me? Because at the moment, I just finished pre searing, I only can run around and hit mobs, I have only one skill for my hammer where I can knock down foes and I normally use an axe (where I have two skills)

Really depends on the situation and group. If a ranged character is attacking something other than you then they are probably going to continue doing so unless their attack is made ineffective somehow (missing mostly). If a melee character is attacking something other than you then you can try crippling it (or obviously as you've seen, knock it down). Aside from that most of your job is about killing things quickly. Try to get a hold of a skill that inflicts deep wound, those are good for finishing off targets quickly. Actual serious "tanking" is generally for specialized scenarios and only works for a few seconds while you unload a huge amount of DPS quickly on an area, and usually involves either the rest of the party being out of aggro range or blocking the enemy against the map edge.

You can use Watch Yourself to give +20ish armor* which equates to around 30% damage reduction for attacks that don't ignore armor. Not sure how great this is nowadays, was nerfed from what it was previously (flat +20 armor without a tactics requirement and no attack limit).

In general keep in mind that the gameplay really isn't designed much for sub-level 20 and less than 8 man parties. You kind of have to play everything earlier on by ear.

*Note: armor in GW1 is a bit weird, if your character wears 60 armor in all slots they just have 60 armor, because each worn peace is selected individually for an attack. But armor boosts from skills, shield/weapon, or other things apply regardless of where you are hit. Also there's a cap where armor bonuses can't stack past +25, though individual skills can break the cap.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Finally tried it after ... however many years. Certainly seems misleading to straight up label it an MMORPG (though the devs didn't, I hear?). Surprised to see the beginner hubs still relatively alive, would've assumed they'd be as dead as it gets. Definitely seeing the age in things, but it's easy to see how this would've been pretty compelling back when it originally released. It's keeping me busy for an hour here and there. Rolled an Elementalist/Mesmer for now, though was tempted to pair it with Monk.

(Anyone know what the deal is with vsync making the game think (and act like) it's suffering from quite severe latency? (Reported almost 300ms when actual was ~40). In general it's been a bit of an effort to make everything work; getting DirectSong to funciton on Windows 10 probably took the longest out of everything.)

Not quite sure how people find guilds/chat channels or whatever they're called -- only really seen stray individuals running about -- but then I haven't went past the 'point of no return' just yet.

Not quite sure how people find guilds/chat channels or whatever they're called -- only really seen stray individuals running about -- but then I haven't went past the 'point of no return' just yet.

Last time I played, I saw the most amount of player activity and chat traffic happening in the Nightfall city, Istan. That's how I found a guild. Kaineng, Eye of the North, and the Battle Isles (PvP lobby) had a few players and chat was pretty dead.

Sounds like you're still in the tutorial zone. It's possible you may find some guild recruiting early in the game, but the big guilds tend to recruit in the bigger cities. Kamadan in Nightfall or perhaps Lion's Arch. Once you get there, you could simply ask in all-chat for a guild invite. The biggest is probably LGIT, so you could tailor your message to them specifically if you're just looking to get in something active. There's always bound to be one of those guys in each city to put you in touch with their recruiters. I've puged with various members of their guild plenty of times, they're fairly reliable for general PVE shit.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Try running it windowed.
The fix was turning off vsync, something to do with framerates. Just a really odd bug and was curious if anyone knew anything else about it.

Last time I played, I saw the most amount of player activity and chat traffic happening in the Nightfall city, Istan. That's how I found a guild. Kaineng, Eye of the North, and the Battle Isles (PvP lobby) had a few players and chat was pretty dead.
Huh, good to know, thanks. Playing through them chronologically, but that'll probably take some time either way.

Cromwell

Arcane
Certainly seems misleading to straight up label it an MMORPG (though the devs didn't, I hear?)

because of the fact everything is isntanced? I thought so to when I tried it when it came out for about 30 minutes and thatw as the aprt that turned me off, it is highly ironic that games like wow moved more and more in the same directon where you just gather people and go into some instanced content before going back to your hub (which may as well be a menu screen)

Black

Arcane
The fix was turning off vsync, something to do with framerates. Just a really odd bug and was curious if anyone knew anything else about it.
Don't know if the same thing or related but when I was running the game fullscreen and alt tabbed too much the game would act as if I had very high ping and crazy rubberbanding. Going windowed fixed that.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
How many of you guys actually still play this

I think there is 1 dev left who is maintaining the entirety of Gw1 alone

I play it fairly often, I still have 2 classes I have to finish Prophecies on. Usually I go hard for a few months in late-winter to spring then set it down a while. Plenty of builds I haven't tried, still lots of skins to collect. My last big project was to equip all my hero teams with nice looking weapons and proper runes. Took a lot of money, but I earned it by solo vanquishing some of the starter areas that I find enjoyable. Sometimes I like going back just to give someone a hand, I've met a few good fellows in game and we check in occasionally, do some dungeons, or campaigns and the like.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Ye I miss this game

This is from a time when the Internet was a different place and wasn't toxic

Met many actual friends whom I still communicate with, albeit rarely, and many people who gifted me games and such, and vice versa

The world changed so much in such a small timeframe

I think there is 1 dev left who is maintaining the entirety of Gw1 alone

Not that much these past few months (been busy with other stuff) but I do come back to play a while every so often. Last thing I was up to was setting up a Necromancer for the new(ish) melee builds, and having finished Legendary Guardian on him I've sort of sat back to decide what to play next.

I'm pretty sure on normal operation GW actually runs without any human supervision. GW2's support staff handles tickets for GW, and all the actual events and such in the game are fully automated.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Don't know if the same thing or related but when I was running the game fullscreen and alt tabbed too much the game would act as if I had very high ping and crazy rubberbanding. Going windowed fixed that.
Maybe experienced that too. Just know that turning off vsync (while at a framerate of 120-ish fps) solved it for me. Worth knowing about.

because of the fact everything is isntanced? I thought so to when I tried it when it came out for about 30 minutes and thatw as the aprt that turned me off, it is highly ironic that games like wow moved more and more in the same directon where you just gather people and go into some instanced content before going back to your hub (which may as well be a menu screen)
Yeah, though I assume in this game's case it might've been more to do with the costs involved, given there's no subscription fees.

Dr1f7

Scholar
failing a mission is brutal omg esp. when it's bc a henchie runs around like a tard and pulls 4 groups
always seems to happen when I'm 3/4 thru the mission too rip
at least the game allows you to fail tho
most mmos don't

Zurbo

Novice
failing a mission is brutal omg esp. when it's bc a henchie runs around like a tard and pulls 4 groups
always seems to happen when I'm 3/4 thru the mission too rip
Even worse, when your character survived the wipe, but nobody left alive has a resurrection skill and you have to restart anyway

:prosper:

At least in EotN they introduced resurrection scrolls to help in some of those situations.

At least in EotN they introduced resurrection scrolls to help in some of those situations.
Consumables brought in with EOTN were decline. Trivialized all endgame content and brought in the speedrunners which make non-stop apologia for botting, deflating the price of practically everything except for a select handful of very expensive items.
Bad planning/execution should be punished.

Zurbo

Novice
Consumables brought in with EOTN were decline. Trivialized all endgame content and brought in the speedrunners which make non-stop apologia for botting, deflating the price of practically everything except for a select handful of very expensive items.
Bad planning/execution should be punished.

For some price balancing I won't argue cause I don't even know the history and how it was affected.
I'm speaking about my own experience. I always liked playing GW alone with heroes. Consumables made it possible for me to complete even Gate of Anguish Hard Mode, so I won't complain about existence of resurrection scrolls, when heroes are dying because of AI limitations and/or when I'm not keeping up with micro management.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Consumables may have allowed me to do everything there was to do in this game with a bro and 6 heroes, but I won't deny that they were decline exactly for that reason.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Wasn't there a one use (per mission /instance) resurrection signet? I think the resident tank Wammo usually picked that to revive the healer monk (me) if everyone else wiped. Not always worth it, but could be a lifesaver. Then again I never really used henchmen, played last when it was at its peak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom