Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars 1

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The achievement was unreasonable before the dailies. Yeah, sure, the dailies make it possible for basically anyone, but the old method required like 170,000 deaths to do it. As for survivor, there are only 4 or 5 people in the world that currently have the last rank. Iirc, 3 Mesmers, 1 Necro and 1 Ranger. So I wouldn't say it's entirely pussified. On top of that, survivor and LDoA were mutually exclusive before the dailies.

As for survivor, there are only 4 or 5 people in the world that currently have the last rank.
Where did you get this information? I got the first rank of survivor on my Necromancer without even trying while farming. Max rank is essentially doing that ~12 times. With intent, it wouldn't be hard, just incredibly tedious.

Or do you mean in pre?

Legendary survivor is actually a very fun achievement if you're getting it by doing full clears of the games rather than just farming it. I did it on several characters. Bit cancerous if you're doing it with players though and warping out of fights that go bad. With Heroes/Henchmen levels are pretty predictable though.

Dr1f7

Scholar
i love this game but keep failing this one damn mission something goes wrong every time whether it's my dumbass henchmen pulling extra groups or some patrol running into me from behind and it's frustrating because the mission is long af and wipe = lose all progress

what happens is some enemy group somehow gets like 3 healers and i can't out dps the heals so my whole team eventually just dies

Yeah that's a pretty early one so its just L2P. Enemy monks do have a bit of an extended radius in which they'll search for things to heal so be mindful of that when pulling.

Alphard

Arcane
The eye of the storm at the end of the world
What's the mission?
it's this one
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Frost_Gate

i'm sure I'm just doing something wrong but yeah what happens is somehow multiple groups get pulled and I wipe then I don't touch the game for like 2 months and when I eventually come back to give it another go I get wiped again :/
Are you pulling using your Henchmen? It is better IIRC to pull by yourself using a bow (being careful to pull isolated groups only ) while flagging your henchmen behind you, then running back to your group. This is what i usually did, because often henchies would overextend and enters in aggro range of other groups, or attack them

Dr1f7

Scholar
What's the mission?
it's this one

i'm sure I'm just doing something wrong but yeah what happens is somehow multiple groups get pulled and I wipe then I don't touch the game for like 2 months and when I eventually come back to give it another go I get wiped again :/
Are you pulling using your Henchmen? It is better IIRC to pull by yourself using a bow (being careful to pull isolated groups only ) while flagging your henchmen behind you, then running back to your group. This is what i usually did, because often henchies would overextend and enters in aggro range of other groups, or attack them
I need to learn how to tell my henchmen to stay still, cuz as soon as I attack anything they run straight in and I think that's what causes wipes many times

What's the mission?
it's this one

Do you want some help?
I can bring my monk, my first character that I loved to play in Prophecies...

thanks bros but I wanna do the main missions solo, maybe I'll group when I get to hard mode stuff and high level things :)

Get used to flagging your henchmen group a bit behind you while you pull, then unflag them as you're running back and the enemy comes at you. I don't recall if there are hotkeys for flags by default but it not then bind them to something you like so its easy to use.

Also pull with a longbow/flatbow, it has the best range.

volklore

Arcane
Watch a random video about this game on youtube and it reminded me how good it was and how much of disappointment GW2 was.
Almost makes me want to play it again. It's been so long I forgot pmuch everything except I really enjoyed playing curse N/Mesmer. Also remember doing solo runs of UW on a Warrior/Mes loadout I figured out myself then.
Good times.

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Yeah, one of the best games of all times, easily top 10. I put 2k+ hours into it and I regret that I didn't spend more time.
Nothing today comes even close.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Watch a random video about this game on youtube and it reminded me how good it was and how much of disappointment GW2 was.
Almost makes me want to play it again.
You can play it again, there are enough people even in pre-Searing.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
he doesn't want to play it, just wants to get street cred from being old
by the time gw2 was released gw1 was already a mmoified slog due to zaishen shit

by the time gw2 was released gw1 was already a mmoified slog due to zaishen shit
Lol wut? Zaishen shit just gives you extra cash if you want it. Has nothing to do with the core game.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Lol wut? Zaishen shit just gives you extra cash if you want it. Has nothing to do with the core game.
i remember where did the general population's attention shift once it was introduced, you look at it anachronically

Lacrymas

Arcane
The main problem with Guild Wars 1 was a philosophical one that was relatively painless to fix. Namely the expansions that introduced 2 professions each along with new skills for all professions. That wasn't sustainable, but the solution was simple - severely cut down on that.

wideman

Novice
i remember where did the general population's attention shift once it was introduced, you look at it anachronically
where did it shift?

I kind of remember ZQuests being introduced shortly after EOTN. When everyone was anyway farming dungeons and setting speed records for elite missions. There was quite a gap between new players and 'vets' in terms of wealth and activity hotspots. Zaishen was introduced to flatten the curve. There was at least one mission and dungeon per day that saw player interest. In addition you could get decent rewards to finance your way up to GWAMM

Zaishen is good, it concentrates the population on a mission/area area of the day. Without it 98% of outposts would be completely dead 100% of the time.

Sure people are doing it for extra rewards but all GW1 rewards past your first 50 hours of play are pretty much cosmetic anyway so who cares. It'd be convenient if there was a way to get those superior runes of holding without grinding but we played for years with standard inventory size so get used to it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I played GW in its "last days" before GW2 came out and I don't remember the Zaishen stuff being a problem. I actually think it was beneficial because they incentivized doing the missions again and that made for livelier mission hubs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom