Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection now on Steam

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
RTCW is the banalshitboring of PC shooters

I caught a lot of flack for saying RTCW is overrated a while back, but I wouldn't go anywhere near this far. It's a solid shooter and fun game, it's just not the OMG AMAZING CLASSIC some people act like it is.

Since we're getting into the weeds on what a good post-boomer shooter actually is, I'll throw out there that FEAR is the best PC shooter of all time. Not just post-boomer, but OF. ALL. TIME.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
It's because shitposting is the only thing left when the retard on the other side won't listen. Now you're just putting other people's words in my mouth. I liked the vehicles and didn't mind the shooting too much. I didn't say it was superior to actual classics, and the games you were mentioning aren't classics. Halo is better for what it is than those games are for what they are, and in neither case is what they are great to begin with. Doom 64 is shit. RTCW is shit. Here, this will explain everything:

Doom > Half-Life > Sin > Blood > Quake > Unreal > Half-Life 2 > Duke Nukem > Gaylo > Doot 3 > Returd to crapple wolfenshit > Doom shittyfart > Crapple Wolfenshit 3D

I caught a lot of flack for saying RTCW is overrated a while back, but I wouldn't go anywhere near this far. It's a solid shooter and fun game, it's just not the OMG AMAZING CLASSIC some people act like it is.

Since we're getting into the weeds on what a good post-boomer shooter actually is, I'll throw out there that FEAR is the best PC shooter of all time. Not just post-boomer, but OF. ALL. TIME.
FEAR is style over substance. Cool game, but actually kind of weak in terms of gameplay. Still, that's better than most games, I suppose, including Halo.

Ash

Arcane
All non-boomer shooter, straightforward singleplayer FPS never surpassed mediocrity or "good for what it is". Can't think of a single one. The fact that the FPS started out with the gameplay complexity of Doom and System Shock and managed to maintain that standard for a decade is in itself a miracle when looking at the average gamer *cough*

I would be all for a singleplayer FPS that is razor focused on combat and combat only if the combat was freaking amazing. It NEVER is. Lol "combat evolved" and its ilk is once again not it.

If I recall, I sided with you in that thread. Nonetheless it is still a pretty solid game, with acceptable gameplay design. For a military shooter it is probably the best, and that is mostly because it doesn't concern itself too heavily with realism like all the rest (has no wep limit, proper health system, supernatural elements etc).

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
All non-boomer shooter, straightforward singleplayer FPS never surpassed mediocrity or "good for what it is". Can't think of a single one. The fact that the FPS started out with the gameplay complexity of Doom and System Shock and managed to maintain that standard for a decade is in itself a miracle when looking at the average gamer *cough*
:nocountryforshitposters:

System Shock is a point-and-click adventure game. As an FPS, it's actually shit. And not only that, no other game that wasn't also made by people from Looking Glass ever came close to its complexity. But no guess I am Xbox gaymer haha herpaderpadeederp

JDR13

Arcane
RtCW was good for its time. Let's be honest though, that series has never been more than average since Wolfenstein 3D.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
FEAR is style over substance. Cool game, but actually kind of weak in terms of gameplay. Still, that's better than most games, I suppose, including Halo.

Can't put into words how much I disagree with this. FEAR is an amazing shooter because it has amazingly good combat, period. Still some of the best AI out there, great feedback from the guns, lean and great PC controls, particle effects that really make you feel like you're shooting up the place, the list goes on and on. Only downside to the game is repetitive environments.

JDR13

Arcane
I'd also add repetitive enemies as well, but yeah, FEAR was a great game for its time that still holds up fairly well even today.

Deleted member 7219

See, the mentality and argumentation skills of a five year old. Says it all as to how you can enjoy your "evolved" combat.
Not one person has made any points in that regard beyond claiming "boomer shooter is circle strafing while holding LMB" and Halo is "more involving" because there are enemies with shields and a dedicated grenade button, as if that was even something new at the time (it was not - some "boomer shooters" had it prior). :roll:

At this point I think I give up on General Gaming.

Give up on the Codex too, you piece of shit.

wahrk

Learned
See, the mentality and argumentation skills of a five year old. Says it all as to how you can enjoy your "evolved" combat.
Not one person has made any points in that regard beyond claiming "boomer shooter is circle strafing while holding LMB" and Halo is "more involving" because there are enemies with shields and a dedicated grenade button, as if that was even something new at the time (it was not - some "boomer shooters" had it prior). :roll:

At this point I think I give up on General Gaming.

Because what’s the point in even engaging with you? I still don’t even know what you’re actually trying to argue for. No one is arguing that Halo is an amazing masterpiece, or better than classic 90s shooters. The most you’ve gotten from anyone in this thread is basically “Halo is good for what it is”, which is apparently enough to cause you immense butthurt. I have no problem acknowledging the greatness of 90s boomer shooters, but I’m not interested in hearing you vastly over-intellectualize the combat of those games, as if it takes a genius to understand the appeal.

So if this is all just about trying to get everyone to bow to your superior intellect and admit that Halo is irredeemable shit, while acknowledging the superiority of Timesplitters and, uh... Jet Force Gemeni, then I’m going to give that the only response it deserves: fuck off, retard.

But by all means, go ahead and waste another 3 pages telling everyone about how Gaylo sucks, and how it takes an analytical mind to truly understand the intellectually stimulating combat of boomer shooters. (or don’t, because I still don’t give a shit)

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Because what’s the point in even engaging with you? I still don’t even know what you’re actually trying to argue for. No one is arguing that Halo is an amazing masterpiece, or better than classic 90s shooters. The most you’ve gotten from anyone in this thread is basically “Halo is good for what it is”, which is apparently enough to cause you immense butthurt. I have no problem acknowledging the greatness of 90s boomer shooters, but I’m not interested in hearing you vastly over-intellectualize the combat of those games, as if it takes a genius to understand the appeal.

Ash have you thought about the great time you could be having on a console focused forum posting about how Halo sucks? Think it over, man. This could be your big break.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Ash have you thought about the great time you could be having on a console focused forum posting about how Halo sucks? Think it over, man. This could be your big break.
DalekFlay have you thought about the great time you could be having on a console focused forum posting about how Halo is teh best? Think it over, man. This could be your big break.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I like arguing on this forum. It's fun and you shouldn't take it too personally, even if I tell you to kill yourself. You may not like it, but this is what peak Codexian looks like.

On the other hand, the world would actually be better off without people like Rean.

Deleted member 7219

I like arguing on this forum. It's fun and you shouldn't take it too personally, even if I tell you to kill yourself. You may not like it, but this is what peak Codexian looks like.

On the other hand, the world would actually be better off without people like Rean.

I think you really should kill yourself. Do it. Hang yourself while yiffing or whatever it is you furfags do.

(context for others: this guy got immensely butthurt at my criticism of Trump and started writing abusive messages on my profile)

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

I think you really should kill yourself. Do it. Hang yourself while yiffing or whatever it is you furfags do.

(context for others: this guy got immensely butthurt at my criticism of Trump and started writing abusive messages on my profile)
FURSECUTION!!!!!11

brb gotta post this injustice on twitter

Ocelot

Learned
Representation of your brain processing as you dumb fucks play Halo and attempt to argue in its favor:

PointlessSnivelingArchaeopteryx-small.gif

How about instead of pretending it is not glorified whack-a-mole you admit you enjoy it for ulterior aspects such as story, couch coop with your equally braindead buddies, or atmosphere? the furry kid here is getting there but still thinks the gameplay is somehow fun. But hey, perhaps you do genuinely find it fun, it's clear I'm dealing with simple minds after all.

Link to the Past is still the best Zelda. :obviously:

This (or Link's Awakening). Ocarina of Time was never at any point in time the best. The fact that JDR thinks it was is standard run of the mill NPC stuff.

Unreal said:
Despite this, there were good aspects, and there's nothing wrong with more straight-forward shooters being what they are.

Sure, like some arcade light gun game, or Wolf 3D, or FEAR, or Unreal Tournament. I'm not particularly fond of most those games because they are a bit too simple, but the context matters in each case (Arcade game for quick sessions, early FPS before id had figured out fun, can't really defend FEAR's simplicity I guess but the game is...OK and nobody is trying to claim it is better than classic design as Halo fanboys do time and time again, UT is multiplayer where the complexity comes from human opponents). Halo singleplayer had no excuse. More importantly, Whatever merit it has it is not in gameplay. It's mind-numbingly boring. It's not simple but fun. There are many games I'd label that (e.g Mario, tetris), Halo is just a bland boring piece of shit singleplayer game. You like glorified whack-a-mole. Worse, because whack-a-mole is over in a minute, and you're not prodding along at a snail pace (or in some lame vehicle) doing nothing in between the action.

Also, the claims that the combat is somehow more "evolved" or involving than boomer shooter stuff where all you do is circle strafe holding LMB just goes to show you do not have very analytical minds.

I bet you also believe that activating the Halo array will bring upon the great journey.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Is this still going on? Amusing.

Finished Halo 3. Well, let's dump more spergery because even if no one reads it I like to sum up my PLEBEIAN thoughts.

Ain't bad. A man should be tired of Halo after Marathon-ing three of them, but the differences are enough to keep me interested.

Nothing to say about the graphics, bar that the Brutes now look ridiculous. And the Scarab movement patterns look clunky as hell, but that's utterly secondary.

Gameplay! You know, FEAR 2 came out like a couple of years after Halo 3, but I will break my own fancy rules and compare the two: FEAR 2 is a senseless mess that chops down the original game and adds nothing of value bar trash-tier vehicle section, while Halo 3 adds stuff. Adds fun stuff that gives you extra gameplay options.

More grenades! (if only they gave us sooner and more incendiary grenades!)

More weapons! (if only they gave us more of the Spartan Laser and I didn't dislike Brute weaponry!)

Deployables! More vehicles! Running around with a Mongoose with a Marine with a Rocket Launcher blowing up stuff! Flying around with a Marine with a Spartan Laser blowing up stuff!

The level design is again mixed, and there's never a proper return to the experimental almost "free roaming" levels of CE. Vehicle levels may be a tad more open than Halo 2, but they're still corridors or in a couple of cases arenas. I did not dislike the clear move towards arena-based encounters instead of corridors. Of course, there are some clear stinkers (as usual, Flood levels). Reading up I amusingly discovered that Floodgate and Cortana (both crappy Flood levels) were originally the same level that got cut into two 'cause crunch, and this explains why they're both recycled content and visually uninteresting, they had to cut&paste something just because. The eternal Bungie crunch.

Covenants are as usual the most fun opponent to fight, and for chrissakes the game got significantly easier, playing on Heroic directly after Halo 2 the enemies fall like nothing. Probably a wise rebalance, Halo 2 was somewhat badly balanced particularly in buller sponge enemies. The Brutes still are the shittier elites, just now they're not bullet sponges and at least their Chieftains give you the Hammer, a quite fun C&C weapon. I still don't like the Brutes much even if not they're mechanically identical to Elites.

Ah, the Flood. Three games in and Bungie still didn't manage to make them fun to fight. Infection forms are still puzzling annoyances. Every Flood level is a boring drag of green, but they tried hard with the Pure Forms, that are in theory a fascinating addition - an enemy that can quickly change in form&function from quick to tank to shooter. It's a pity they're bullet sponges and that the levels they're in are completely crap. I don't know if it's a MCC problem, but in Cortana often the Pure Forms glitched out on me staying quietly put and waiting for me to magdump on them. Thanks, I guess?

The only true negative I can give to Halo 3 is.... well, writing. Halo 2 was at least decent, with Lizardman - THAT YOU DONT GET TO PLAY I WANT MY FREE CAMO BUNGIE WHY - having some development and your enemies having some character. Halo 3 just happens. All your foes are now generic villains barely appearing on screen, the Chief is even more of a non-character, Cortana is a non-character (yes, yes, rape undertones, how stunning and brave) and the entire thing just fizzles out. Epic levels are epic because of visuals and ambience, the background is kinda trash.

About epic, one thing. Fighting Scarabs. Ok, I understand they're clunky and their movements are hilarious. I understand they're incredibly easy to fight after you understand in roughly 30 secs how to kill them. But they're cinematic and fun as hell, particularly the double Scarab fight where you get thrown into an arena with some toys and "go forth, kill 'em as you like". I liked that.

Onwards to .... ODST? the fuck is this

nixm5y69vh251.png

Have I reinstalled EYE DIVINE CYBERMANCY by mistake?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Context for others: this guy said I would delete my ‘abusive’ messages in the future when they might make me look bad, and then went ahead and deleted them himself because I hurt his feelings. Then when I commented on this he deleted that too. He also said I was one of the worst most disgusting racists on this website and that I deserve to be curbstomped. Cool story bro!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom