Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard Reset Demo is out

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Indeed, no steam required.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I played it and thought it was fun.
Shared ammo is not a good idea, especially in a game with upgrades. It means you upgrade the one most efficient gun and never use any of the others.

Kind of the same for a lot of the secondary fire modes. Why would I want to shoot a gravity grenade when I can shoot a normal one? The weapons that disable just don't do it for long enough to be worth using over the normal fire modes (reminds me of a lot of UT guns in that respect, where one fire mode is just plain better).

The plasma mortar is raeptronic against the horde fight at the end. I'm gonna play through again and pick different guns this time. The basic machine gun is piss weak.

The graphics are gorgeous and the game runs very very smoothly on high for me (fuck you Twitcher 2).

Overall I actually like the game. This is an upgraded Doom 3 engine, right? It looks like it.

Exmit

Scholar
It's the Flying Hog Potato engine

Slav science = combine potato with a hog and you get a CYBERPUNK GAME OF AWESUME THAT RUNS ON OLD PCS FUCK YEA ! : x

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
kingcomrade said:
Kind of the same for a lot of the secondary fire modes. Why would I want to shoot a gravity grenade when I can shoot a normal one? The weapons that disable just don't do it for long enough to be worth using over the normal fire modes (reminds me of a lot of UT guns in that respect, where one fire mode is just plain better).
It's possible that later in the game you'll need to fight enemies that have weaknesses to certain weapons or fire modes, or immunities, or there are certain environmental doodads that only blow up when you shoot them just right, etc. Though from what I've seen, I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Exmit said:
Played the demo, gameplay is nice, world looks nice, monsters also.

Already a better game than newest desu sex were the actual shooting is shitty boring.
In that case, 90% of shooters are better than the original Deus Ex and System Shock 2 (including DE:HR).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Possibly explaining the difference in game length: checkpoint saving only (well, you can use console commands to save anywhere). Derp.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Dark Matter said:
Exmit said:

Already a better game than newest desu sex were the actual shooting is shitty boring.
In that case, 90% of shooters are better than the original Deus Ex and System Shock 2 (including DE:HR).

More like it's impossible to find a worse gameplay in shooters than popamole.

There's a huge abyss between DE:HR and DX gameplay already.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Gonna remove it from inventory, brb
MetalCraze said:
Dark Matter said:
Exmit said:

More like it's impossible to find a worse gameplay in shooters than popamole.

There's a huge abyss between DE:HR and DX gameplay already.
Make up your mind, DE or DX?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Just uninstalled this thing, it's awful, the demo gave a perfect impression of the final game.

If you missed the demo: level design is shit, just a long corridor with some hordes spawning when you step on some triggers. And there's a delay to switch between weapons and modes.

Also: everything blows up. Seriously, if you like explosions, this is the game for you.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So, atmospheric but generic game play, poor level design/corridors, checkpoint saves, and only four or five hours long? Hilarious to see people defending this shit on Steam forums. Now I won't pay more than $5~ Leave it to former CD Projekt guys to use marketing buzzwords like 'old school' and 'PC centric' only to fail to live up to said hype and make some generic consolized tripe.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
Ok, so what we changed after the demo.
1. Added a FOV slider in Menu>Options>Video
2. Added a Fast Menu option in the Main Menu
3. Fixed a Crash - while in game, Video Options, with any of the expandable menus open, after pressing ESC the game crashed.
4. Due to various bugs we removed the ability to use console commands FOR THE TIME BEING. When we'll deal with the bugs (mostly saving the current AI state issues) we will reimplement console commands.
5. Fixed compatibility issue with _____x1200 Vertical resolution in menus.
6. Implemented German Steam achievements.
7. Fixed various localisation issues.
8. Improved loading times between levels.
9. Added different tabs in Load Game menu for each difficulty level separately.
10 Removed the Benchmark as it was especially designed for the free Demo version. If you want we will reimplement the Benchmark in the upcoming patch.
11. Improved in-game video replay.
12. Added 6 additional checkpoints throughout the game.
13. Fixed an issue with the profile system - Video Options will now be correctly applied after changing from a Steam profile to a Local one.
14. Fixed various issues concerning level geometry.

The game is now available in English (full voiced version), German (full voiced version), Russian (full voiced version) and Polish (cinematic).

We are currently implementing a full support mode for Eyefinity/3dVision.
We are also preparing a patch that will adress some of the issues you mentioned on the forums and in the emails.

Some surprises await you in the near future, and we will support Hard Reset even after its launch.

We want to show you that WE do care about the PC gamers community and our fans.

Have fun guys and stay tuned for more info.
@

MetalCraze

Arcane
Icewater said:
Is that a Skyway endorsement I hear?

I didn't say I'd pay for it

But the gameplay itself is fun. Plays like a PC shooter. If you don't strafe and jump all the time - you die very quickly

The_Pope

Scholar
The player character is way too slow for the style of game. It's like quake, except you play an asthmatic walrus.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
What the fuck is this game

It's gotta be the most explicit example of invisible walls like, ever. You can't jump over a 5-cm-high piece of debris BECAUSE THAT'S NOT WHERE THE GAME WANTS YOU TO GO! You can't go through path x because there's a pipe at the height of your forehead - go around instead. Sometimes it even goes as far that you bump into a literally invisible barrier while standing on the edge of a catwalk.

Also, corridors. Lots of them. Learn to love them because this is all this game is about so far. And have fun trying to dodge those superfast little exploding robots that bumrush you when your guns are useless, your character is a slug, and you can't dodge because you're in a meter-wide corridor.

Also, old-school? Yeah, old-school my arse. This game not only has regenerating armour, it goes even a step further - it has REGENERATING AMMO. That's right, when your ammo drops below 50, it keeps regenerating back up to 50.

When going through a corridor and you realise there's a place where you can go 2 metres to the side, it's gonna be a secret area. So very cleverly secret and hidden that it'll burn your brain out.

Also, those fucking bloody screens. The moment you get hit for whatever damage (including like -2), EVERYTHING SUDDENLY TURNS RED, you can't see SHIT and you die because you can't see shit, not because the enemies are particularly deadly.

Also, checkpoints. Fuck those checkpoints.

Also, there are enemy shooty bots with miniguns. That fire singular bullets.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Metro said:
So, atmospheric but generic game play, poor level design/corridors, checkpoint saves, and only four or five hours long? Hilarious to see people defending this shit on Steam forums. Now I won't pay more than $5~ Leave it to former CD Projekt guys to use marketing buzzwords like 'old school' and 'PC centric' only to fail to live up to said hype and make some generic consolized tripe.
Consolised tripe? This game is pretty much identical to Painkiller save for the visual style. Or did I miss the memo that Painkiller is the Halo of PC shooters?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
sea said:
Consolised tripe? This game is pretty much identical to Painkiller

Yeah, sure it is. Go to hell.

Some more impressions, but first

Let me introduce myself. My name is Major Fletcher. I am the protagonist of Hard Reset. I also happen to be the most useless character to have ever graced the shooter genre.

My guns? They do nothing.

My enemies? Keep outrunning me.

My field of duty? A gigantic corridor.

My health? Drops like mad.

My only hope? Exploding barrels. All over the place.

Jesus fucking Christ jumping on a pogostick on a cold winter night in December, what the fuck were the designers thinking. It was okay that I had to unload half of my shooty gun's ammo into the big bots to let them die because they were rare. But now some sort of cyborg dudes appear and WHAT THE FUCK.

See, there are two kinds of them: The shooty ones and the melee dudes.

The shooty ones are no problem because they have the aiming of a 5-year-old with astigmata. Just that they happen to refuse to die no matter what gun you use against them. But okay, a war of attrition takes them out sooner or later...

But those fucking melee dudes? They outrun you, which means you can't fucking dodge their attacks unless you sprint away (yeah, once every 5 minutes), they are as sturdy as the shooty ones, come in moderately big groups and turn you into minced meat when they get close. Also, even if the character wasn't such a fucking slug it would be impossible to dodge them. Why? Look above! HAVE FUN STRAFING IN A METRE-WIDE CORRIDOR. Pair that with the, again look above, BLOODY SCREEN (SO REALISTIC) and you have a recipe for disaster. This is NOT good design. The only thing that you can use effectively to get rid of them is to keep shooting exploding barrels, which the game takes to the X-TREME. To compensate for your useless guns, each combat scene has like 10 exploding barrels, 5 exploding cars and 10 terminals that explode with electricity, and I wish I was friggin joking.

Oh and while talking about useless fucking guns. Did I mention that the grenade launchers might as well be replaced by a 'suicide' button? That's right. That's because their reload/cooldown/whatever you call it is so fucking long you are a sitting duck after using them once, since you can't switch them to another weapon.

I also love how this game treats you like an idiot. So you keep following your corridor, right? And you come upon a water puddle with a FUCKHUEG glowing cable in it causing electrical shocks. The corridor bends to the left. A guy calls you on the radio "HMMMMM, PERHAPS YOU SHOULD DISABLE THIS BEFORE PROCEEDING". Well, I would have never figured!

The only thing that keeps me playing this is that I'm actually curious if the game really is '5 hours long' as everyone says it is.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Basically Hard Reset is too hard?

Consolised tripe? This game is pretty much identical to Painkiller save for the visual style. Or did I miss the memo that Painkiller is the Halo of PC shooters?

Better than Painkiller since it doesn't lock you into arenas all the time and when it does it tries hard to conceal that. Plus enemies don't spam-spawn out of the same point all the time which I hated about PK a lot.

Linear corridors are a bad thing of course but much like with Max Payne the dynamic gameplay makes up for that. Of course fags here prefer just sitting behind a box in a tight linear corridor of Mass Defect 2 and killing harmless enemies.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
Basically Hard Reset is too hard?

Haha, no. Basically Hard Reset is a design mess.

Plus enemies don't spam-spawn out of the same point all the time which I hated about PK a lot.

Nope, instead they just keep coming out of the place where the corridor bends.

Linear corridors are a bad thing of course but much like with Max Payne the dynamic gameplay makes up for that. Of course fags here prefer just sitting behind a box in a tight linear corridor of Mass Defect 2 and killing harmless enemies.

9587983769734634694364936 exploding barrels per arena = dynamic gameplay :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom