Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard Reset Demo is out

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
MetalCraze said:
Also the speed of switching weapons is exactly the same.
No it's not, why do you lie? And even if switching was the same speed as other shooters, it would still be slow because in addition of switching weapons you also have to switch modes.

Gord

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
If you consider Doom, Quake, Unreal/Tournament shit games it's your problem, bro.

There's more to the genre than arcade shooters.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
fizzelopeguss said:
What the chernobyl baby thinks makes a good shooter.
If you consider Doom, Quake, Unreal/Tournament shit games it's your problem, bro.

God you're boring.

this game is to be honest a bit of a clusterfuck. Rather than intelligent use of strafe, you just have to jump spam like a spazzy retard.
"Intelligent" strafe? :lol:

yes, dodging and weaving between projectiles. There's so much terrible animation and screen filling bullshit you're better off jumping like a spastic. Hence making this a crappy play and forget game, no one is gonna go back and play this shit after the release hype. They might use it to benchmark the visuals though which is the only reason you're defending it.

Stunlock and crowd control inherent to certain weapon and enemy types? fuck it just lob lighting balls all over the place.

I also use shotgun a lot, quite effective against anything that comes in 3+ numbers. Somehow when I control it it deals a lot of damage too.
FYI different weapons don't mean anything to different enemy types in "masterpieces" as well. And in Doom2 you barely ever use anything but dual-barelled shotgun.

Classic chernobyl baby quote right there.
No, dual shotgun is a short range weapon, will chew through your shells at medium range as it's spread is shite.
Single shot is a short and medium, a tight pellet spread makes it one of the best shotguns ever and an excellent general purpose gun for trash enemies.
Minigun is a crowd pleaser and will stunlock (ie, tie an enemy into an animation cycle). chews through ammo.
You better be careful with that rocketluncher because it will fuck you up if you don't use it intelligently.
Plasma, your party trick against the tougher enemies. guzzles ammo.
BFG, cycle rate, handful of shots, bizarre ray hit scan mechanics.

Those were classic weapon properties that travelled over to other outstanding shooters like duke and blood. Compare that to the god lighting balls that does everything in this game... shitload of splash, blows up everything on the map which will in turn blow up the enemies, slows fucking time and stuns the enemies, you use a red ammo gun while the fucking blue gun recharges. if you even need it to recharge as ammo for the map sweeping god gun is everywhere.

If you're gonna compare it to anything, then you compare it to other arena shooters like PK and SS where the point of those games is to sweep the screen with as many flashing lights as possible.

Gameplay in Doom is no different and even slower. Also the speed of switching weapons is exactly the same.
Quit pretending.

Again, you are so fucking boring.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Excidium said:
No it's not, why do you lie?
It's exactly the same. Switching between projectile and energy weapon is just as fast as between any weapon in Doom and switching between sub-weapons is even faster than in Doom.

And even if switching was the same speed as other shooters, it would still be slow because in addition of switching weapons you also have to switch modes.

So what? Making an additional keypress once in 10 firefights - shit game.

yes, dodging and weaving between projectiles.
What stops you from doing just that? It's quite easy.

There's so much terrible animation and screen filling bullshit you're better off jumping like a spastic.
You mean like in UT or Quake 3?

No, dual shotgun is a short range weapon, will chew through your shells at medium range as it's spread is shite.
And for medium range you use plasma or rockets. Wow such a variety.

You better be careful with that rocketluncher because it will fuck you up if you don't use it intelligently.

Will you stop using the word "intelligence" when talking about the dumbest twitch shooter that is all about reflexes because it makes you sound like a pretentious retard?

stuff about weapons
In HR projectile weapons like shotgun also stop smaller enemies and you can take an upgrade that slows any enemy somewhat as well. Energy weapon has a subweapon with stun properties etc.
Same shit really.

Again, you are so fucking boring.
Because I point out your hypocrisy?
Wonder how we still didn't get to a point where I'm being accused of hating Doom or UT or whatever?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Multidirectional said:
So what happened, Hard Reset is more intelligent than Doom?
As skyway grew up, he realized how shitty early games were and embraced the newer ones which improved in every way on the early fossils of the genre.

I'd try and find the thread in which he wrote that, but I can't be bothered.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Will you stop using the word "intelligence" when talking about the dumbest twitch shooter that is all about reflexes because it makes you sound like a pretentious retard?

MetalCraze when trashing Painkiller said:
No sorry, I only enjoy intelligent shooters like Doom

0020spit20coffee.gif

MetalCraze

Arcane
I actually expected more retards to fail sarcasm check. Not surprised with fizzy here though, disappointed with Multidirectional. I thought you could read.

MetalCraze said:
I actually expected more retards to fail sarcasm check. Not surprised with fizzy here though, disappointed with Multidirectional. I thought you could read.

Since we already failed that check though, it would be of great help towards increasing my reading skills if you pinpointed the "sarcasm" part. Much appreciated.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO SKYWAY IS JUST A BIT OF A PCTARD IF THE GAME HAS NO CURRENT CCONSOLE SHOOTER FEATURES HE WILL LIKE IT NO MATTER HOW SHITTY IT IS

Shannow

Waster of Time
Darth Roxor said:
MetalCraze said:
You don't need to keep switching guns all the time in Hard Reset either. There is more than enough ammo and a full clip (200) even for the base rifle lasts long enough.

You mean the full clip that lasts long enough to do barely any damage at all? What difficulty are you playing on, skyway? Easy? Because the full clip gets half-empty when you kill a big bot on hard. And when there is a mob of the dudes that are totally not Strogg rip offs cyborgs, ammo goes down fast as fuck.
Not interested in the game and watching TotalBiscuit play it made me nauseous after a mere 9 minutes so I don't care either way...but, quite a lot of your criticism seems to stem from enemies having too much health. So why are you playing on "hard"? All the other criticisms are probably valid, but "enemies are harder to kill than they should normally be! On hard," I don't get it.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Shannow said:
Not interested in the game and watching TotalBiscuit play it made me nauseous after a mere 9 minutes so I don't care either way...but, quite a lot of your criticism seems to stem from enemies having too much health. So why are you playing on "hard"? All the other criticisms are probably valid, but "enemies are harder to kill than they should normally be! On hard," I don't get it.

Because I've grown accustomed to a fact that 'higher difficulty' doesn't equal 'obscene HP bloat'.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Darth Roxor said:
Shannow said:

Because I've grown accustomed to a fact that 'higher difficulty' doesn't equal 'obscene HP bloat'.
Aha. Funny. I just remember lots of bitching about games that equate higher difficulty with hp-bloat and higher dmg vs the player. What games have you been playing that made you expect something else?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Shannow said:
Aha. Funny. I just remember lots of bitching about games that equate higher difficulty with hp-bloat and higher dmg vs the player. What games have you been playing that made you expect something else?

Well, for instance, since we are comparing this to 'oldschool shooters', let's go with that. In most cases, they throw the same kinds of enemies at you, but in superbigger waves. Often, more powerful enemies might pop up sooner. Their stats such as movement/attack/projectile speed might be pumped up. Ammo pickups/temporary boosts (which this game has none of, too) might be smaller/shorter/less abundant. Etc etc. Those are all perfectly fine and fun ways to up the difficulty without making it stupid, as is the case with hp bloat, which is nothing more than a cop out used by incompetent designers.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
Since we already failed that check though, it would be of great help towards increasing my reading skills if you pinpointed the "sarcasm" part. Much appreciated.

MetalCraze said:
thesheeep said:
Someone should probably tell skyway that games are about having fun and that turning your brain into standby, letting only your reflexes take over for a certain amount of time, while looking at nazi zombies, can indeed be alot of fun.

No sorry, I only enjoy intelligent shooters like Doom, Quake, Hexen and other clones where you don't have to play a static turret locked in a small room that blindly shoots at the same spawn point for 10 minutes.

Thesheeep's implication that I don't know that "dumb" shooters can be fun too is pretty straightforward, no?
So I replied to him that I totally enjoy only "intelligent" ones. For fuck's sake, do you really need the fucking quest compass here?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Darth Roxor said:
Shannow said:

Well, for instance, since we are comparing this to 'oldschool shooters', let's go with that. In most cases, they throw the same kinds of enemies at you, but in superbigger waves. Often, more powerful enemies might pop up sooner. Their stats such as movement/attack/projectile speed might be pumped up. Ammo pickups/temporary boosts (which this game has none of, too) might be smaller/shorter/less abundant. Etc etc. Those are all perfectly fine and fun ways to up the difficulty without making it stupid, as is the case with hp bloat, which is nothing more than a cop out used by incompetent designers.
Only we're not. You play a game on hard instead of normal and then complain that it's hard. Made hard by the same (bad) mechanics that are applied to the vast majority (all?) modern games and most old games, too (while we're at it). When I point out that it's your own decision to play the game on hard instead or normal you suggest that you were led to believe it'd use good difficulty mechanics instead of bad ones. When asked why you expected those you resort to pointing out a game that was made - what? 15? - years ago. :roll:
Son, I am disappoint.
Here, a suggestion: Switch to normal and see if you find the balancing better.

(You're still a bro though :bro: )

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Shannow said:
You play a game on hard instead of normal and then complain that it's hard.

But again, the whole point is that it's NOT hard. It's tedious, it's boring, it's repetitive. Definitely not hard. There's nothing 'hard' about shooting a bot for 5 minutes because the only difference between that and shooting it for 2 minutes is the 3 minutes of additional shooting. That is neither hard nor fun.

When I point out that it's your own decision to play the game on hard instead or normal you suggest that you were led to believe it'd use good difficulty mechanics instead of bad ones. When asked why you expected those you resort to pointing out a game that was made - what? 15? - years ago. :roll:
Son, I am disappoint.

Gaem was trying very hard to look oldschool, so I assumed it would use proper oldschool mechanics, including proper difficulty scaling. Guess I was ronk.

MetalCraze said:
For fuck's sake, do you really need the fucking quest compass here?

I guess I pulled a Mike Laidlaw there then, because I really thought you were serious.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
since we re talking (supposedly) "oldschool" shooters here, how s resistance 3 ?

no, i m not kidding, i ve been hearing/reading multiple reports that its actually pretty good , reasons being stuff that the codex seems to love like:

-no cover system
-no health regen
-tons of (varied) enemies at once
-very interesting weapons and you can carry them all, not just 2.
-levels that are ultimativly still linear but not completely railroaded.

its also apparently flopping commercialy and all the douchebag websites like edge give less than stellar reviews, so it must be doing something right.

just curious if anyone here played it and can share his impressions - i wasnt too fond of hard reset either apart from the shiny graphics but i have an itching for shooters who have the above mentioned qualities and have at least semi decent graphics - even if i have to play them with a controller.

Skyway said:
FYI different weapons don't mean anything to different enemy types in "masterpieces" as well. And in Doom2 you barely ever use anything but dual-barelled shotgun.
First statement is not true. Shamblers in Quake were immune to explosions, Fiends were vulnerable to nails, plasma rifle did wonders with Arachnotrons in Doom 2, and chainsaw did not allow Cacodemons to shoot at you.

The second statement is a mistake, that can kill the game's fun for you. Why use only one weapon, why would you do that, if nobody forces you? And of course, if you always used only one gun, no wonder that you don't know pros and cons of others.
You can kill Baron of Hell with super shotgun, but it would look like this: BOOM *chick-chack* BOOM *chick-chack* BOOM *chick-chack* + some easy movement. Boring. Especially, if you did this every playthrough over and over again.
Use rockets. Use plasma. Or better: use rockets AND plasma. BADOOM! PEW PEW PEW! BADOOM! PEW PEW, PEW PEW PEW! BZZZZZZZZZZZ (chainsaw), eat that Arch-Vile!
DN3D also has shotgun, and you can use it 90% of the time if you want to, and if you have enough ammo. But again, boring. Use shrink gun, shrink those fat flying motherfuckers that shoot rockets at you. Smash 'em with your foot.
Use freeze gun, turn those lizards with chainguns into snowmen and pee on them like in your childh- errr, i mean SMASH THEM WITH YOUR MIGHTY FOOT!

Phelot

Arcane
Just played through the demo. Well, it was pretty fun in my opinion. I wasn't looking for an "old skool FPS" or whatever it's touted as. Pretty fun running and gunning. Weapons are aight although I like the bullets over the energy stuff though I suspect the energy weapons are stronger?

Anyway, is the full game really that short? I mean, how much more would you say is after the demo?

Environs look cool. Nice looking city, I especially like the cars. It's also fun destroying everything :D and it's also nice seeing the robot parts remaining behind rather than disappearing. Really cool in fact, I thought bodies were a thing of the past.

I'll wait to hear just how long the game is before I decide whether to buy it now or not.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I liked it a lot. After repeatedly hearing how short it was I was surprised when the credits didn't roll once I killed Atlas, because at that point I had played about 9 hours.

Now, maybe I suck (played through the whole game on Hard) but it didn't seem short to me. I think it's a bit unfair by reviewers to play a challenging shooter on Easy and then call it short. Any linear game that isn't scripted and filled with cutscenes is going to be short if the player never dies.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I BOGHT PAINKILLER BECASE OF THIS THREAD TWO DOLLARS MOTHERFUCKERS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom