Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard Reset Demo is out

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
So yeah, basically:

- Demo is short as all fucking fuck. If I hadn't looked for secrets at every wall, I would have finished it in like 5 minutes

- Lots of secrets, although painfully obvious

- Two guns, both of with 5 different firing modes. Plasma gun seems p. gud, shooty waffe seems useless, especially the shotgun, which is a travesty.

- Tri-Optimum logo in one of the in-game ads :M

- We were promised Doom levels and all I got was corridors

- Two enemy types in demo. Small bots that charge you and big bots that charge you. Small bots are pretty insignificant and die superfast (bonus points if you have chain lightning or grenade launcher mods for the plasma gun), big bots are powerless against circle strafing.

- Did I mention short as fuck? There are like five fights in the demo. Small wave of small bots, a bit bigger wave of small bots, single big bot, big bot and friends, two big bots and a moderately large wave of small bots. DERP.

- Main menu is FUCKSHITCUNT. Every sub-menu that you want to access has an ANIMATION OF ROBOTIC ARMS TAKING A DATASLATE WITH IT and presenting it to you, which takes a FUCKLOAD of time and can't be skipped.

So yeah, after playing the demo, I wouldn't buy it because it shows shit, really. I'd rather try the 'demo' first, since the game does feature some promise, but fuck, if they show this little, you gotta get suspicious.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Demo is about 15 minutes long. You can skip a lot of the mainmenu tedium by starting it first, and then changing the options, since the in-game menu is non-shit.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah. Anyway, maybe it can get better later as this was p. much the tutorial.

We'll see...

Multi-headed Cow

Demo sent my penis all a-flutter. Assuming more enemies and bigger battles this could be damn good. I am slightly concerned about the few enemies and tons of zappy environmental shit, but still. Unf.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fifteen minute demo? Sounds like the entire game might be six hours.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah the game will most likely be very short as screenshots show only the exactly same assets you see in the demo plus you have only 2 weapons and you can see that they don't have many upgrades.

Still apart from the ultraretarded "secret" places marked by explosive barrels that can only be found near them the gameplay is quite good (although the game needs to be bashed for DXIWism with weapons reusing the same ammo)

Even in what is clearly a tutorial level on hard I often had to be constantly on the move during firefights.
Jump button also plays a role (dodging that bull type robot) which is a plus.

Movement is fast, enemies are fast, sometimes you have 10+ of them at once - clearly a PC shooter. I like.
The game doesn't suffer from Painkiller's idiotic "locked in a room with respawn" design much either.

Also I take my words about art design back. It's actually quite good although graphics behind it are dated.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's basically Painkiller plus cyberpunk and less obvious filler/waiting around for respawns. Surprisingly good atmosphere too. The game is goddamn gorgeous and runs extremely smoothly for me, plus it's actually got proper FOV, widescreen support, mouse controls, graphics options, etc., but beyond the initial "oh my god, this is actually a PC game" euphoria, it's basically what you'd expect. I found myself being more impressed with all the physics objects and destruction going on than I thought I would, as well. Looks fun if they can keep up the variety, but I don't think I'm willing to spend $25 for this sort of thing - wait until it's on sale for $10-15 instead, unless you want to really support the developers. Considering it might only be 4-6 hours and there's no co-op or real replay value (although there are a fuckton of achievements if you want them), I just don't feel enough draw to buy this game on the spot.

baronjohn

Cipher
Everything I've heard and seen of this game makes it look like complete shit.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
baronjohn said:
Everything I've heard and seen of this game makes it look like complete shit.
ME14.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

Warning bros, the full game is apparently less than 4 hours long.

Monocause

Arcane

What the fuck... Source? A SP-only game, four hours long? I can't believe it, especially given how easy it should be to extend a non-cinematic FPS.

Hope it's not true, else this is the last game we'll see from these guys.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Monocause said:

What the fuck... Source? A SP-only game, four hours long? I can't believe it, especially given how easy it should be to extend a non-cinematic FPS.

Considering it's a $25 game, that's not really completely unexpected. Budget titles and all that. Disappointing nonetheless.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Multi-headed Cow said:

Wow... give me a fucking break.

:rage:

sea said:
Considering it's a $25 game, that's not really completely unexpected. Budget titles and all that. Disappointing nonetheless.

I'd find four hours acceptable maaaaaaaybe for a $10 game. But $25 (and actually the game is $30 list with $27 for a preorder)? Sorry, no. Just because Activision and EA can bilk idiots out of $60 for 10-12 hour games doesn't make it more palatable for indie developers to do it on a smaller scale but the same effective rate.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Maybe if it has good level design (which I doubt) 4 hours isn't so short. The old FPSes could be finished in much less than that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, someone on Steam forums said the developers claimed eight to ten so... who knows.

Multi-headed Cow

Monocause said:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... 906&page=2

In light of this I'm less interested in Hard Reset and considering picking up Space Marine at $25 again. Hell, ends up being $2 cheaper and from what I've heard Space Marine is at least 10 hours long. And the co-op mode should be a laugh when it gets added.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Multi-headed Cow said:
Monocause said:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... 906&page=2

In light of this I'm less interested in Hard Reset and considering picking up Space Marine at $25 again. Hell, ends up being $2 cheaper and from what I've heard Space Marine is at least 10 hours long. And the co-op mode should be a laugh when it gets added.

At four hours I doubt I'd pay even $10 for it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Metro said:
Well, someone on Steam forums said the developers claimed eight to ten so... who knows.

Always divide what devs claim by two - that's how long the real game will be (excluding reloads of course)

Exmit

Scholar
Played the demo, gameplay is nice, world looks nice, monsters also.

Already a better game than newest desu sex were the actual shooting is shitty boring.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Not the one I've downloaded.

Even though I got it from the torrent tracker I don't think that e-seawolves could let off some steam since I can't see usual files you'd expect to find there in that case. Just a clean demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom