Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

WhiteGuts

Arcane
This new adventure was planned for a long while, probably even before the release of TGT so it's not really a feedback thing. They would've released it no matter what the community's reaction to TGT was going to be.

Maybe they want to cash in on the game while it's big.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Wow, this looks like some serious bullshit. Who would have thought...

Sir Finley Mrrgglton is an interesting, fun and well designed card. Unearthed Raptor seems decent on its own, but doesn't fit the current Rogue archetypes and is not strong enough to carry a new one, so only arena fodder. Torch COULD be ok in Freeze Mage. Rest is absolute garbage.

I really hope Mrrgglton is in the first wing. This is all under the assumption that it lets you choose the hero power.

Last edited:

Grubba

Arcane
I really hope Mrrgglton is in the first wing. This is all under the assumption that it lets you choose the hero power.

I would assume it does because the Discover mechanic gives you a choice between three random options.

Bingo. That's the only meaningful explanation of why you release a new adventure not three months after an expansion.

The whole fucking game is about cashing in. We're talking about a company that charges $10 for a portrait image and sound files. The whole game is about milking their fanbase. I still say they moved it up because of BlizzCon

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That makes no sense. You can still release it a month from now and hype it during Blizzcon. No need to release it one fucking week later. They're hyping Legion during Blizzcon and that's a year away.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Garbage cards in a garbage expansion for garbage players of a garbage game.

(I was going to put the Edgy Codex Troll here, but it looks like that the administration, hellbent on continuing to destroy this site, has gotten rid of that one)

Per usual there will be like 3-4 cards that are actually strong and have some effect on the metagame. Everyone with half a brain will go on about how bad the cards as a whole are, then after those 4 cards (out of 45) have an impact, morons will turn around and say "HA U WERE WRONG! ME SMART!!"

Anyways, Discover is pretty fucking bad. As someone who has gone infinite in arena during GVG/BRM, I can tell you that this is going to be highly inconsistent, except for a couple of mana slots (like 9 and 10). I know the variance is lower than in arena, but there will inevitably be "Discover 3" where it offers you Spider Tank or Imp Gang Boss which is great, and other times it offers you Silverback Patriarch/Gnomegarde Infantry/Thrallmar Farseer and tells you to fuck yourself. I understand that the 2 mana discover 3 guy is neat in that he always smooths your curve, but he's not necessarily any better than Novice Engineer.

Edit: Worth mentioning this might remove the TGT bias in arena, which could single handedly save that aspect of the game somewhat.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Garbage cards in a garbage expansion for garbage players of a garbage game.

(I was going to put the Edgy Codex Troll here, but it looks like that the administration, hellbent on continuing to destroy this site, has gotten rid of that one)

Per usual there will be like 3-4 cards that are actually strong and have some effect on the metagame. Everyone with half a brain will go on about how bad the cards as a whole are, then after those 4 cards (out of 45) have an impact, morons will turn around and say "HA U WERE WRONG! ME SMART!!"

Anyways, Discover is pretty fucking bad. As someone who has gone infinite in arena during GVG/BRM, I can tell you that this is going to be highly inconsistent, except for a couple of mana slots (like 9 and 10). I know the variance is lower than in arena, but there will inevitably be "Discover 3" where it offers you Spider Tank or Imp Gang Boss which is great, and other times it offers you Silverback Patriarch/Gnomegarde Infantry/Thrallmar Farseer and tells you to fuck yourself. I understand that the 2 mana discover 3 guy is neat in that he always smooths your curve, but he's not necessarily any better than Novice Engineer.

Edit: Worth mentioning this might remove the TGT bias in arena, which could single handedly save that aspect of the game somewhat.

11593.jpg

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Lel, everybody wants to hunt the big Phagy Dick whale

that sounded awful but I stand by it

Grubba

Arcane
That makes no sense. You can still release it a month from now and hype it during Blizzcon. No need to release it one fucking week later. They're hyping Legion during Blizzcon and that's a year away.

If the content is done, release it sooner rather than later I guess. The four week wait from announcement to release, like they've done in the past, was a bit much anyway don't you think? Especially for an adventure that rolls out slowly. I doubt they bumped it up because they're worried about popularity dropping off in the near future and they wanna cash in now. And it's not like it's really going to change who buys it with real money vs. who buys it with in-game gold. People who are going to use gold are prepared and have been saving already anyway so it's not an issue. You're upset that you have to wait only one week instead of four?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
If the content is done, release it sooner rather than later I guess. The four week wait from announcement to release, like they've done in the past, was a bit much anyway don't you think? Especially for an adventure that rolls out slowly. I doubt they bumped it up because they're worried about popularity dropping off in the near future and they wanna cash in now. And it's not like it's really going to change who buys it with real money vs. who buys it with in-game gold. People who are going to use gold are prepared and have been saving already anyway so it's not an issue. You're upset that you have to wait only one week instead of four?

I think he's upset that instead of actually taking care of the product they've released (nerfing overpowered cards and buffing shit cards), Blizzard just throws more things to buy at the consumer in a scattershot approach to change the metagame with haphazard results. Why was there no discussion about a rotation at blizzcon? Why hasn't there been any apology about current events beyond snarky reddit comments about the huge amount of backlash that's occurring? (which is legitimate since ben brode "reads almost every post on reddit")

I'd be totally up for a new adventure every 3 months; provided that Blizzard actually utilized the strength of their digital medium beyond "MORE RANDOM FOR MORE MEMORABLE STORIES!!"

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So much for my hope Blizz would give us a deal on BRM when the new adventure comes.

I'm not a hippie, I get corporations are business and they wantz our moneyz but Blizz' propensity for milking the fanbase to the last bloody drop is starting to be super fucking annoying.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think he's upset that instead of actually taking care of the product they've released (nerfing overpowered cards and buffing shit cards), Blizzard just throws more things to buy at the consumer in a scattershot approach to change the metagame with haphazard results. Why was there no discussion about a rotation at blizzcon? Why hasn't there been any apology about current events beyond snarky reddit comments about the huge amount of backlash that's occurring? (which is legitimate since ben brode "reads almost every post on reddit")

I'd be totally up for a new adventure every 3 months; provided that Blizzard actually utilized the strength of their digital medium beyond "MORE RANDOM FOR MORE MEMORABLE STORIES!!"
This, although the price of it does bother me. Not that I don't have $20 to throw at this... but I'd rather not reward them for a mediocre children's card game. Especially one with terrible balancing and almost zero play testing where you get maybe two to four cards for your $20/2800 gold. Now that the dust of BRM has settled I can name maybe three cards you'd use out of it unless you wanted to play Dragon Priest. I'd rather give my money to Todd Howard, quite frankly. At least he produces stuff for money, albeit tepid popamole. Paying $20 for a Hearthstone adventure where you get four useful cards is like paying $60 for FO4 but only a tenth of the game was actually designed and implemented with the rest being unused beta assets in debug state.

They're going to hit critical mass eventually. In order to keep attracting sales you have to attract new players. You aren't going to do that sitting behind a $100/9,000 gold paywall for adventures alone.

Quality-wise this set only introduces more RNG bullshit that will most likely result in even more broken combos/scenarios. They're so motivated by cashing in as fast as possible that the 'integrity' of the game suffers.

Grubba

Arcane

I'm all for more frequent releases too. I've always thought that this game isn't truly going to get going until the the card pool deepens, so yes please more cards. I played Magic years ago and those 3-expansion cycles were like 300+ cards for the main set and then two around 150, so Hearthstone has a long way to go. It's just a shame that the HS dev team's vision for the game is out of whack and they're setting it up for failure.

And that shaman card...ugh :argh:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm all for more frequent releases too. I've always thought that this game isn't truly going to get going until the the card pool deepens
Lol? Do you not see the cards they produce? It's deep alright. Knee-deep in shit. They need to focus more on designing useful cards rather than pump out more garbage. If BRM had as many solid cards as Naxx or TGT had at least the number of useful cards as GvG, I'd feel differently. It's been a steady downward trend.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can't fool me. Magic-tard who wants to spend $5,000 on a children's card game!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
http://www.hearthpwn.com/

Looks like they've revealed all of the cards already. Only cards that look viable are Forgotten Torch, Museum Curator (maybe?), Tomb Pillager, Unearthed Raptor, Tunnel Trogg (maybe?), Fierce Monkey, Huge Toad, and Jewled Scarab (maybe?). The rest seem poor given their relative stats/mana costs.

The legendaries are... uh... meh? I guess you could craft a deck around Brann. The full heal one requires you to sabotage your deck leaving out a second copy of useful cards. The Murloc is subject to RNG and who's to say you even want another hero power? The Golden Monkey thing seems like it might not be that great? Who plays an all legendary deck? No spells in that. The one that gives you an artifact... well... they're all pretty strong but they're all 10 mana.

So maybe half a dozen of these cards make it into the meta?

Phage would know for sure.

Edit: Also funny how they nerfed Murloc Knight with two new garbage Murloc cards (the legendary has a battlecry so it's just a 1/3).

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
OK, will give the rapid-fire phagenalysis so plebs can cry foul in 2 months:

Druid: Moonkin is hilariously bad; Mounted Raptor is the next hungry dragon - kids gonna kid and claim it's good, but the stat spread sucks (if it was a 2/3 it'd be an inconsistent harvest golem); Raven Idol is snooresville - pick it in arena when the other two picks are jank; unplayable in serious constructed.

Hunter: Hat is 10slow. Desert Camel is potentially cool: summon a leper gnome against a deck with no 1 drops is really sweet; sucks if they have chow; Dart trap is jank.

Mage: Animated armor might be ok in some freeze shit? Same with torch. Both are so goddamn slow/janky though. Don't know what you'd remove for them. The 6/3 is really bad, lol.

Paladin: Anyfin Can Happen is trash (murloc only deck has to win before turn 10, cannot have empty card in hand making divine favor worse; Keeper is interesting... You upgrade a Guy (tm) and he gets powered up, also doubles as huge target removal - don't know if he fits into a deck though, 4 drop slot super contested; Sacred Trial seems bad, decks that flood the board will usually have some kind of shitty 1 drop they can throw out - it's also easy to play around, but I could be proven wrong.

Priest: Excavated Evil is another boardwipe of course. If Control Priest were to be a thing, this is ok. Don't know if it's better than holy nova tbqh.; Entomb is really bad except in Control Priest vs Control Warrior lol; Museum Curator missed the Deathrattle train like 10 months ago.

Rogue: Tomb Pillager is simply not good enough stats wise for constructed, decent arena card; Unearthed Raptor is sweet, but has no constructed deck yet - top tier arena card; Pit snake is whatever, pretty trash

Shaman: Everyfin is Awesome seems garbage unless Shaman Murloc aggro becomes a thing (unlikely); Rumbling Elemental is cool, but effect is conditional for underwhelming stats, pass; Tunnel Trogg is similar to Everyfin - if The Overload Deck (tm) becomes a thing, he gets played. If it doesn't, he doesn't. I'd wager it doesn't anytime soon.

Warlock: lmao, remember when I argued with you fucking morons that Gormokk is garbage and you all told me I'm stupid then 1 month later nobody runs that shit? yeah, Reliquary is that on steroids, pass; Cursed is garbage; Dark Peddler is fairly eh in general, kind of bad overall.

Warrior: Cursed Blade... whew, now that's a card. I actually like the design. Ultimately, I think that Face Hunter is OK with their minions effectively getting 2 attacks in before dying, so I don't think it's constructed playable. It's cool though.; Obsidian Destroyer, nice arena card, but he's no Dr. Boom for Constructed; Fierce Monkey - now this is GOOD. Top tier arena card AT COMMON FOR WARRIOR! WOOO! Also good enough for constructed if you have room.

Neutral:

Arch Thief - really, really slow and mana intensive. too slow probably. (I said that about nefarian though and he got used, so idk)
RENO JACKSON - pretty fucking amazing for control mirrors. a great example of why hearthstone needs sideboarding. too situational for real laddering.
Elise - lol, go on a quest to lose the game!
Bran - Could be used in some battlecry deck, cool design, probably won't get played though.
Sir finley - like Ugly said he is a well designed card, but drafting a new hero power is pretty terribly inconsistent. Pass.
Djinni - cool design, but the angel sisters have shown that "Voltron"/"Build a Bear" strategies are pretty poor in hearthstone
Naga Sea Witch - Eh... pretty bad tbqh. THE DREAM is you play her on turn 5, then on turn 6 you can cast a 7+ drop. Really not as impressive as some christmas wonderlanders will presume.
Summoning Stone - doesn't work in a game like HS where you can target creatures at will with your creatures
Eerie Statue - hey, now this is cool! Could be used in control decks.
Ancient Shade - also very strong, might be used in yolo decks that statistically won't draw the card. more RNG bullshit tho.
Devilsaur - complete garbage lmao
wobbling runts - strong effect, too slow and attack is really weak for that late in the game, pass
Sentinel - very strong effect, easy to play around though. pass for constructed
Gorillabot - pass. situational, high variance, etc
Tomb Spider - high variance. grinder strategy conflicts with hunter too much. pass.
Jewled Scarab - a apprentice engineer that smooths your curve, but may draw you jank - has shit impact on board, same weakness as aforementioned card. pass.
Huge Toad - great card for arena (high tier 2 drop), pass in constructed
Murloc Wisp - ok, more fuel for the retardo murloc fire. probably too unimpactful for any non divine-favor paladin murloc deck though.

OVERALL LIST OF THE GOOD:

Fierce Monkey (but may not have a slot tbh lol)
Desert Camel (might get no play due to chow, we'll see)

OVERALL LIST OF THE GETS PLAYED IF THE DECK/META IS RIGHT (so most won't get played, a couple might):

Arch Thief (sooo slow)
Cursed Blade
Unearthed Raptor
Keeper
Everyfin is Awesome
Tunnel Trogg
Bran
Animated armor
torch

in b4 "BUH BUH YOU DIDNT LIKE PATRON" - yeah, nobody else did either, and nothing here is even close to the potential power level of that card, shut the fuck up.

Final concensus:

This should actually make arena better (Warriors got good cards!! Paladins got shit cards!!) but just how much of an effect has yet to be seen.

Constructed wise, this is by far the worst adventure yet holy shit lol. Legitimately might not buy a single wing, we'll see.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The sad thing is I looked on Hearthpwn forums and most of the posters (who seemed about 12 years old) favored adventures because you're 'guaranteed to get the cards.' Uh... too bad 90% of the cards are trash. Why would people prefer to pay $20/2800 gold for a few cards? At least with expansions you can craft the goods ones and be done with it.

Elise - lol, go on a quest to lose the game!
That should be card's flavor text. The Animated Armor thing is probably them recognizing Bolf Ramshield is trash as far as a spell taunt goes. Still, it serves as a 4/4 with a soft taunt. I don't think it's much beterr than Senjin as both can be silenced for the same effect (if the goal is to hit face for full damage). I guess it trades a bit better than Senjin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom