Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Archon Team is hosting a tournament where no classic/basic cards are allowed. Should be fun to watch.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Shit is going down men

They are introducing two new formats to play the game : Standard and Wild. Standard will have Basic + classic + a bunch of expansions that will be cycled when new stuff is released. Wild contains everything.

When this is released in Spring with the next expansion, Naxx and GvG won't be playable in Standard.

Last edited:

AMG

Arbiter
So, basically Magic.
Meh, keeping up with new releases was hard as it is, by making your shit obsolete it just means you pay or quit. No interest in a wacky playground that the Wild format is assured to devolve into.
Looks like thats it for me, aside from the occasional arena.

Also lamo at all that whining at deckslosts and all they did was add 9 more. Considering they just split formats, if you want to play both you will ran out of space just as fast if not faster :shittydog:. Unless it's 18 for each format. But considering how much time it took them it's still pathetic.

Andhaira

Arcane
HAHAH, I don't need to buy Naxx. We can craft anything we want from Naxx soon. Suck it Metro & FeelTheRads

Also, 9 moar deckslots.
A New Way to Play
Daxxarri 2/2/2016 539
GAVSURR32X3V1454386100681.jpg

Exciting changes are coming to the Tavern! We’re proud to announce that we’re introducing game formats to Hearthstone! Whether you’re just getting into Hearthstone or you’re a seasoned veteran, the new Standard format will help keep Hearthstone fresh, exciting, and accessible for years to come, while the Wild format will preserve everything you already know and love about Hearthstone!

The New Standard
Standard is a new format in Play mode that allows players to go head-to-head using only the most recently released Hearthstone cards. You’ll play Standard using a deck built solely from a pool of cards that were released in the current and previous calendar year, along with a core foundation of the Basic and Classic card sets (which will always be valid for Standard). You’ll be matched against other players who are also using Standard decks.

Standard promises a fresher Hearthstone experience!

• Standard will help make for a more dynamic and balanced metagame.
  • A select set of cards makes each new card have more impact!
  • The developers will have more freedom to design exciting new cards.
  • It lets newer players jump in faster without having to collect as many cards.
Standard is only available as a format in Friendly Challenges, Ranked, and Casual play, so it won’t affect Arena, Solo play, or Adventures.

Wild Will Be Wild
Wild is our new name for the Hearthstone you already know, because it’ll be the format where anything can happen. While Standard puts a bright spotlight on recently released cards and brings a more balanced experience, when you queue up for Wild, you’ll be cozying up with the crazy fun of Hearthstone you’re already familiar with. Of course, as more and more cards are added over time, the wilder and more unpredictable Wild will be!

In terms of gameplay, nothing is changing for Wild: you’ll be able to finish quests, earn gold, rank up on the ladder, get card backs, earn Legend rank, and use all the cards you’ve already collected to build a Wild deck, just like you always have. When you queue up for Ranked or Casual play with a Wild deck, you’ll always be matched with other players who are also using Wild decks.

Ranking Up
When Standard is introduced you’ll be able to choose between Standard and Wild for Ranked play, and you'll have a separate rank for each format, so you can earn ranks and hit Legend in both Wild and Standard if you wish! You’ll only collect ranked rewards at the end of the season based on the highest rank you attained in one format or the other, but not both, so feel free to play whichever you like best!

Time for Reflection
The arrival of Standard format will also be an excellent time for us to take stock of Hearthstone. While normally we’re quite conservative about making balance changes to Hearthstone cards (and we’ll continue to be in the future), we’re planning to take the new Hearthstone year as a golden opportunity to re-evaluate a number of cards in the Basic and Classic card sets, including class cards, and make some long-considered adjustments.

More information on which cards are changing and why will be available as we draw nearer to the arrival of Standard format.

More Deck Slots? More Deck Slots!
Yes! More deck slots! Prior to the arrival of Standard we’ve got a buff planned for your Collection Manager! If you’ve unlocked all nine heroes, you’ll also unlock nine more deck slots, raising your total number of deck slots to eighteen.

Release the Kraken!
Standard format will arrive this spring! When the momentous moment arrives, you’ll be able to build Standard decks using the following sets:

• Basic
  • Classic
  • Blackrock Mountain
  • The Grand Tournament
  • The League of Explorers
  • The Spring 2016 Expansion
Curse of Naxxramas and Goblins vs Gnomes will not be part of Standard. When we release the first new Expansion each year, every set that wasn’t released in the same year or the year prior will cycle out and no longer be part of the Standard format.

That’s also when the new Standard year begins. Each new Hearthstone year is symbolized by one of the zodiac constellations twinkling in Azeroth’s night sky. The moment when a new constellation comes into alignment heralds the start of the year and a time of jubilation and raucous revelry wherever Hearthstone is played!

This inaugural Standard year will be known as the Year of the Kraken, so get ready to make some waves!

Gone Wild
Adventures and Expansions that are not part of the Standard format will no longer be available for purchase from the Shop—this year, that includes Naxxramas and Goblins vs Gnomes. If you want any cards you missed out on for Wild play or just to fill out your collection, you’ll be able to craft them using Arcane Dust—even cards from Adventures that were previously un-craftable. Speaking of Adventures, if you’ve purchased at least the first wing of an Adventure before it cycled out, you’ll still be able to finish acquiring and playing the remaining wings.

We’re Pumped!
We’ve worked hard to pave the way for Standard, and we’re really excited about all the great things this new format will bring to Hearthstone: fresher gameplay, more impactful expansions, and—since Standard will become the official format of the Hearthstone Championship Tour—an even more exciting competitive scene. All in all, we believe that Standard will end up being the most fun way to enjoy Hearthstone.

We hope you’re excited too, and we can’t wait to hear what you think.

us.battle.net/hearthstone/en-us/blog/19995505#comments

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is pretty dumb -- creating new content by removing content. Good thing I never bothered crafting those missing GvG legendaries. Or Lightbomb. Was also considering getting BRM since I have around 4k gold now. Now... nope.

Last edited:

Andhaira

Arcane
This is pretty dumb -- creating new content by removing content. Good thing I never bothered crafting those missing GvG legendaries. Or Lightbomb. Was also considering getting BRM since I have around 4k gold now. Now... nope.

BRM will remain for this entire year. After that you can craft cards from it individually, or dust the ones you don't want.

All cards from all expansions/adventures will be usable in the WILD game mode which can climb upto legend and also gets monthly rewards. This mode will likely have the meta same as now, with new shit added with every expansion.

Standard will be the mode for newer cards from the past year and the basics/classics. Older expansions/adventures will not be allowed here. Meta will be 'fresh' as per 1 year. Meh, I for one look forward to no more overpowered mechs and heal bots. Reno all the way.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
WILD = Dead on arrival. All of the pros and streamers will be playing Standard. All of the netdecking and theorycrafting will be there. It is merely a lazy way of balancing the game, remove older expansion cards that were strong and replacing them with newer expansion cards that were shit in comparison. Each passing expansion saw fewer and fewer constructed viable cards. Now, instead of being motivated to produce better cards, they can keep producing the same shitty tier cards knowing the better ones will be effectively phased out of the game.

It's addition by subtraction. Nothing more.

Edit: I will add it's an indirect buff to all of the Classic cards. Stuff like Tirion and Antonidas just got that much stronger.

Second edit: It also fucks with the possibility of promoting new archetypes like control hunter or rogue. By taking out older expansion cards, you prevent building these archetypes over time.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Phased out adventure cards can be disenchanted.
https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/694593133728784384

RIP Stoneskin Gargoyle.
RIP Majodormo.
RIP Rend Black-Hand.
RIP other trash adventure cards.

HAHAHA

Phage Whatcha gonna do without your precious Shredder brah?

what happens when you disenchant your old adventure cards? you can never get them again? what if someone wants to use them in W I L D mode? Do they have to rebuy the adventures?

As for your question, I guess I'll have matches with less variance?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can craft old adventure cards that have been removed. Looking at the current meta decks with the incoming changes this absolutely wrecks Paladin with the removal of Mini-bot, Muster, Coghammer, and Quartermaster. Demon-lock is probably gone with the loss of Mal'Ganis and Void Caller from Naxx. So many good Naxx neutrals down the shitter. This is performing surgery with a meat cleaver all so a bunch of neckbeard devs can make their $150k+ job even easier than before.

Guess Cairne and Sunwalker will be making comebacks!

WhiteGuts

Arcane
This will also force you to buy the latest content if you want to play Standard. They are killing a bunch of birds with one stone.

UglyBastard

Arcane
This could be somewhat interesting if we weren't talking about Blizzard here.

They already announced, that they do this to "free up design space" aka kick cards like Mad Scientist in the gutter and shove new shitty cards into the game that would have broken interactions otherwise. This paired with their inability and unwillingness to take care of their game with patches will turn WILD into an unbalanced mess of unfun within a few expansions.
They basically said that it will be a glorified Casual and won't give a shit from now on, starting with your WILD rank not being displayed to other players, the naming of the mode ("stop complaining about broken interactions plebs, it's fkn WILD!") and the announcement, that from now on all official events will be Standard.

Unlike WotC (the Magic company) they obviously couldn't care less about their eternal format and will use it as a dumping ground to delete half your collection every year without TECHNICALLY deleting it, forcing nerds to drop copious amounts of money on every new expansion if they want to be somewhat competetive. Not even talking about them saving money by pumping out functional reprints with every expansion from now on (something that is complete bullshit in a DIGITAL card game).

So yeah, if you are looking for a reason to quit the game, here it is.

Maybe they surprise me by actually caring about the format and not just using it as a giant garbage bin for your collection, but we are talking about Blizzard's Hearthstone team here men. Not gonna happen. WILD is doomed to fail and your painfully grinded collection is now a heap of trash. Congrats!

Revenant

In case of hearthstone, the introduction of game formats is especially annoying because there is no reason to do this in an online game. While rotational formats are understandable in Magic where the cards are printed, online cards could be fixed at any time, making hard-earned collections always viable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!! They don't give a shit. As you all have said it serves multiple purposes:

- Frees them up from having to balance older expansion cards against newer ones.
- Frees them up from having to design good new cards -- they can continue with their standard 10-20 okay and 100+ shit/Arena fodder per expansion rate.
- Pushes people to keep spending for new adventures/expansions in a timely manner since they'll be obsolete in a year.
- Pushes people to buy more packs for dust because you'll have to craft new legendaries in a timely manner before they're 'retired.'

I'm amazed most of the retards on forums/reddit think this is a great idea. They've essentially deleted GvG and Naxx from the game and will continually delete stuff you've spent money/gold on annually.

What pisses me off is the removal of GvG and Naxx cards will push marginal TGT cards to the forefront. So shit I don't have like arcane blast (an epic) will probably see more play in mages deck since there's no more flame cannon or unstable portal. So if I want a 'current' mage deck for Standard I have to craft these subpar cards for 1600 dust only to see them rendered useless a year from now.

It's ingenious and insidious.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Inb4 identical or near identical cards to the best ones in Naxx and GvG are released within 2 expansions from now.

But hey! You can always play WILD where all the favorites like facetard and secret paladin will get stronger and stronger. I for one can't wait for the next cheap charge minions to be added to their arsenal.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
They aren't even going to give you full dust when disenchanting cards from removed expansions. There are no words to describe how low that it is.

Revenant

haha
that's what people get for trusting/paying money to blizzard
Actually, it's the free players that will be shown the middle finger by the format system. Paying players will continue getting the premium hearthstone experience (lol) for about the same price as now, i.e. throwing enough $$$ to buy all the wings of the adventure on release or a shitload of packs upon a new expansion. Free play, on the other hand, will become completely pointless - why bother grinding gold for new cards when they will become obsolete just when you unlock them, along with a huge collection you could have built if you played free since the beta.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This paired with their inability and unwillingness to take care of their game with patches will turn WILD into an unbalanced mess of unfun within a few expansions.

Isn't it the same with Magic though? We talked about it a while ago, apparently there are modes that are super broken too.

In case of hearthstone, the introduction of game formats is especially annoying because there is no reason to do this in an online game. While rotational formats are understandable in Magic where the cards are printed, online cards could be fixed at any time, making hard-earned collections always viable.

I'm no card game expert but I feel this compartmentalization is inevitable even for digital CCGs. Ultimately the complexity of a 1000+ card pool game would get so overwhelming no amount of tinkering would fix it.

My issue with this plan is different - they kept Basic and even Classic for Standard. This means this mode will never feel as fresh as it could since people are still gonna run a lot of the old shit. My understanding is Miracle Rogue was the apex predator before Naxx, so it'll prolly come back and stomp everything again. Combo Druid isn't going anywhere either, it'll lose Shade, Loatheb and Boom but these are replaceable. Handlock is gonna come back, Renolock will stay even without Belcher and Healbot, Control Warrior will lose Death's Bite, Shieldmaiden and Boom but I bet it's gonna stay too. Freeze Mage is gonna be fine without the Scientist and Tempo Mage will replace it with Kirin-Tor, it's gonna be worse but it's shit anyways.

What they should've done instead is remove Basic and Classic from Standard too and bring the price of packs THE FUCK DOWN because 63 jewro for 60 digital card packs is fucking absurd.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom