Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

WhiteGuts

Arcane
They strongly implied some old cards will be changed when the formats launch. Druid's combo will probably be the first thing to go.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Isn't it the same with Magic though? We talked about it a while ago, apparently there are modes that are super broken too.

Eternal formats in Magic have their own support, tournaments, communities and care by WotC as well as a carefully maintained banlist. The power level is super high but there is an interesting and diverse meta in the Eternal formats (tbh I find it way more compelling than Standard). They are actually rather prestigious.

But that is because WotC knows their eternal formats have lots of fans and put thought and care into them. I'm 100% sure that WILD! for Hearthstone is just a dumpster that is meant to stop you from sueing for refunds.

It's also important that Magic cards are a physical product that you actually own and can use how you want (and possibly sell for $$).

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Unlike WotC (the Magic company) they obviously couldn't care less about their eternal format and will use it as a dumping ground to delete half your collection every year without TECHNICALLY deleting it, forcing nerds to drop copious amounts of money on every new expansion if they want to be somewhat competetive. Not even talking about them saving money by pumping out functional reprints with every expansion from now on (something that is complete bullshit in a DIGITAL card game).

Oh come on. Get the wiz-dick out of your mouth. WotC is no better of a company. For years on end Vintage was very much the dumping ground where shit like Moxes, Yawgmoth's Will, and whatever else just went horseshit. It took them a very long time to establish Legacy, and even longer to establish Modern, and even with those two established, they still flat out refuse to reprint enough staples to stabilize the prices. If anything, after Modern Masters, Modern decks became more expensive, shit is like $1,000+ for a decent deck.

Let's see what the "more than 2 and less than 20" nerfs to the original set are, and what the next expansion has. At the very least, it'll create a new metagame more interesting than "THE SAME SHIT AS ALWAYS, PLUS OR MINUS A COUPLE OF NEW OVERPOWERED CARDS"

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Indeed. Let's completely forget that there's another big expansion coming that will be in standard, and continue to cry about old cards "being removed" when in reality the Wild format exists.

Right now the only actual real problem is that it's going to be far too difficult for new players to get GVG and Naxx to play "wild" with. It's a stupid idea to remove them from the shop imo.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Saying the wild format exists is like saying 5'8" is average. Wild = bastard child dumping ground that no one outside of Andhaira will play.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Saying the wild format exists is like saying 5'8" is average. Wild = bastard child dumping ground that no one outside of Andhaira will play.

sorry that DU was too stupid to read the statistics when he got tremendously butthurt and gave me this tag after I skullfucked him

here is the third link a google search for "global average male height" yields: http://www.averageheight.co/average-male-height

it literally and actually is 5'8.5". Dunno why this is so hard for people to comprehend when you realize how many indians and asians exist.

UglyBastard

Arcane
lol this brawl.

Game 1:
Shaman turn 2 -> Gets Doomhammer

Game 2:
Rogue turn 2 -> Gets Gorehowl (proceeds to play 9/3 pirate)

So fun and randum XD

€: Game 3: Gets Gorehowl again. What the fuck m8
The people who made this really need to be fucking lined up and shot for the greater good.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

sorry that DU was too stupid to read the statistics when he got tremendously butthurt and gave me this tag after I skullfucked him

here is the third link a google search for "global average male height" yields: http://www.averageheight.co/average-male-height

it literally and actually is 5'8.5". Dunno why this is so hard for people to comprehend when you realize how many indians and asians exist.
Asians drag it down, though, MEN. We're talking MEN, MEN.

Revenant

Also, what I find particularly disappointing and unfun about the rotation format is that so many cards that are thematically nostalgic for Warcraft players are just getting thrown into the trash bin in favor of inane nu hearthstone "lore" like league of derpsplorers and stuff. For instance, when I used to play shammy, I had a deck with three out of four elemental lords - Al'Akir, Neptulon and Ragnaros. I figured a future expansion might give us Therazane and I'd have a thematically cool all elemental lords deck. But no, now Neptulon is as good as gone. And he had such a nice board entering animation along with the Throne of the Tides melody. Nope, can't have that anymore.

tl;dr R.I.P. Hearthstone 2013-2015

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
WHY DOES ELISE HAVE HUMAN EYES?!?! NIGHT ELVES HAVE GLOWING EYES!!! SHE IS AN ABOMINATION!!! Well... not an actual abomination, abomination but an abomination.

Explorerbc

Arcane
I feel sad from a collector's standpoint. I never really expected to get every single card, but in the back of my head I always dreamed that in a few years, if I got lucky enough, I might have a full GvG or TGT collection. Now the dream is gone. Without old packs, obscure cards are out of the question since I'm not gonna craft some shitty GvG legendary.

I also hoped that some cards from older expansions that never worked would be given new life with new releases. Like a beast druid, or a control rogue with galywix or something. If wild devolves into a mess of unbalanced crap, then all those interesting ideas from older expansions will be gone.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
All they need to do is either keep the older sets in the shop (preferably with a discount), or create "wild packs" that have all of the "wild-only" cards in them

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I also hoped that some cards from older expansions that never worked would be given new life with new releases. Like a beast druid, or a control rogue with galywix or something. If wild devolves into a mess of unbalanced crap, then all those interesting ideas from older expansions will be gone.
This is the biggest problem from a gameplay perspective. It stunts the potential growth of other archetypes because you can't build on anything in Standard mode.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
This is the biggest problem from a gameplay perspective. It stunts the potential growth of other archetypes because you can't build on anything in Standard mode.

Not necessarily. Standard will be roughly the same size that the game is today (it will be back up to that with the inevitable Fall adventure) - if Blizzard is intelligent with this new expansion + new adventure, then there can very well be beast druids and control rogues. That's a pretty big if though, Blizzard has proven themselves to be roughly as incompetent as Wizards of the Coast

Seeker
In My Safe Space
What's the best way to climb the ladder. Playing secret paladin at the moment and am stuck at 13-12-11. Should I just keep at it, bear the grind until the light of new shores appears in front of me?
Are there any other fun and successful decks besides freeze mage and control warrior which I cannot craft due to lack of vital cards.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's the best way to climb the ladder. Playing secret paladin at the moment and am stuck at 13-12-11. Should I just keep at it, bear the grind until the light of new shores appears in front of me?
Are there any other fun and successful decks besides freeze mage and control warrior which I cannot craft due to lack of vital cards.
I'd wait a few more days until all the pros climb back up to legend. Secret Pally is a very strong deck, Combo Druid and Renolock are the only ones stronger but you need quite a few legends and epics.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
if i was interested in climbing id use this deck

werwer.jpg

just remember to use wrath as 3dmg removal, dont sit on it for card draw

Carceri

Arcane
Poor cancerdins, they are having a hard time lol.

Also, control warrior is anything but fun.

Explorerbc

Arcane

Cheap decks to climb ladder would be zoo, face shaman, tempo mage, combo druid as cvv said, and perhaps patron warrior or hybrid hunter.

I am using dragon priest personally and it is doing fine.

Basically every one of these decks can get you to rank 5 pretty easily, it's mostly a matter of personal preference and experience. On higher ranks it depends on what you mostly face at the time.

Also, control warrior is anything but fun.

Depends on what your playstyle is. I used a reno-control warrior last season and really enjoyed the deck. Watching an aggrotard struggle to beat you after you've stabilized and started dropping the big threats is priceless :smug:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I occasionally use zoolock when I become frustrated playing loladin. It's good but the game often sends me facehunters, maybe the mm knows. Face shaman can be strong I admit but if you mulligan and still not get your low cost minions you lose tempo.
Combo druid is ok I guess, but still not as fun as secret paladin. Playing mc at turn 6 and acquiring a halo never gets old.

As for tempo mage, it is too random for my tastes with the missiles and portals.

Patron warrior I disliked before the warsong nerf and I still dislike it. It is a matter of principle.

I crafted the two dragons I was missing for dragon priest and soon found out it was not worth it. The new entomb priest seems to function better.

Climbing is indeed a matter of preference and patience I would add. Sometimes the grind becomes overwhelming, especially when you don't achieve consecutive wins for bonus stars.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You know nothing of overwhelming grind until you've been stuck at rank 1 for 30 games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom