Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Grinolf

Arcane
So all 30 cards are finally published. Well, 31 including the summoned dude. Wonder, how much of them are going to be nerfed after a month. And pity that the Loatheb wouldn't be accessible until the next week, since he looks like a major pain in ass for Miracles.

DakaSha

Arcane
I think they are going the right direction with the new cards. I really think this will make shit quite a bit more interesting. I also like the model they are using (pay 20 bucks, get all cards). All in all i am perfectly fine with spending the heaps of cash i did early on. Ive more than got my money worth out of it

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
We'll have to wait and see. I'm not that wild about them balancing current meta problems with new cards rather than retooling the ones that are actually the issue. Seems like a lazy fix.

DakaSha

Arcane
Because (for the umpteenth time), TCG are about winning percentages/Variance. Adding new cards to balance the meta both allows for more diversity, while still allowing the use of the indirectly 'nerfed' decks. They just wont be as dominant since people can build against them. Miracle Rogue is an interesting deck. It will still be usable, but will win less due to decks that build against it. This is fine imo. If anything it adds a layer of meta decision making to your deck building. Why should good decks be inherently nerfed? Creating 'OP' decks is the whole point. (There ARE obviously exceptions. Some cards can be WAY too overpowered, and they have nerfed a few in the past)

Adding new cards to 'fix' the meta also opens new doors for underused cards, unlike the nerfing of overpowered ones.

If you are one of the people that cry about topdecks and losing in one turn with 23 health left, while ignoring your overall winning percentage, then i can see how youd want them to balance in traditional computer game fashion. But in that case you have no business playing a TCG in the first place.

Of course all of this does depend on the decisions they make when creating new cards, and it does remain to be seen if they are positive changes. I'm pretty optimistic.

edit: for the record i dont even think the game suffers too much from what people claim to be a lack of viable decks. There are a few overplayed decks because people latch on to a few things. Number 1 legend wasnt even miracle or handlock or zoo or token druid. There is a lot to play with. And considering the extremely low card count, i find that rather impressive. Even if you do only consider the 4 or so top decks as the only ones worth playing, thats a lot when taking the amount of cards into account. And we are getting like a 10%+ increase in cards now

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Number 1 legend wasnt even miracle or handlock or zoo or token druid.
Because that's a good barometer of the playerbase as a whole. To the rest of your argument: all they do with balancing the game through 'counter cards/decks' is set up a rock, paper, scissors system.

DakaSha

Arcane
Yes youre an idiot. I knew the niggeling thought of ignoring your "Because?" was justified for some reason.

DakaSha

Arcane
Because that's a good barometer of the playerbase as a whole.

for the record i dont even think the game suffers too much from what people claim to be a lack of viable decks. There are a few overplayed decks because people latch on to a few things. Number 1 legend wasnt even miracle or handlock or zoo or token druid.

But meh I already give up. Not arguing with people who lack even basic reading comprehension skills

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yes youre an idiot. I knew the niggeling thought of ignoring your "Because?" was justified for some reason.
Sorry, just because you disagree and like the rock/paper/scissors design doesn't make me an idiot. And my reading comprehension is fine. If you don't want part of your argument critiqued then don't make it in the first place?

DakaSha

Arcane
Maybe the focusing on 'parts' of arguments is the problem. And yes you are an idiot.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I addressed the whole thing but unfortunately you monitor this thread with a stopwatch. I feel sorry for you that, like Ex, you're own shortcomings have to be bolstered by pretending you're superior to people on an internet forum. Nothing about my argument is idiotic except for the fact it has the audacity to challenge your limited view and shallow support.

DakaSha

Arcane
What does ex have to do with this. He was smarter than you, I'll give you that.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Rock/Paper/Scissors relationships between decks are unavoidable in any CCG, to an extent, I think. It's more of a problem in HS because ladder is Bo1. You play Handlock, you meet Shaman, you probably lose. This increases the already high variance of the game, and leads to everything feeling very random. The deck balance itself, is, I think, not too bad overall.

Of course, there's a simple solution to this: Make competitive ladder Bo3 with a sideboard (7 or 8 card big I'm guessing). The reason a tournament-focused game like MtG has sideboards in the first place is to counteract the variance emerging from deck matchups, no reason HS couldn't have that as well.

Of course, the HS team will probably never do it, as it would undermine the ease of play and simplicity of their iPad game, which they value way more than its competitive integrity.

I play Handlock and the most pissant thing there is is that Paladin with Aldor Peacekeeper/Repentance and fucking Tirion Fordring. Lame niggers. And where most of my 8 damage minions happen to be shuffled in deck's last 8 cards. Grrr.

Is "Miracle Rogue" this annoying build revolving around Gadgetzan Auctioneer, Preparation and Leeroy Jenkins? If so, then Handlock is an amazing troll for that.

One funny story: once I had extreme card advantage and board advantage, but the other player's last card was deathwing (this was in arena) and I had no taunt. The only way out was to use mind control (what a perfect response!). So I use mind control and then the trap card 'counterspell' activates and I lose.

Reminds me of one of the best games I had with a Mage, as a Shaman. Over the course of the match (around 20 turns for each of us), I summoned Al'Akir, which triggered Duplicate secret for the Mage, I think we both summoned Ragnaros. Near the end Mage summoned Deathwing, countered my Hex with that redirect secret, and then I fortunately casted second Hex.

For once the "Well Played" emote that came from both of us was a genuine congratulation for a good, fair match; and not that sneery "watch how I win this turn" loser remark.

DakaSha

Arcane
Its due to be released today (22nd in the states)

It will be released at the same time in both regions, and not immediately after this NA maintence

Grinolf

Arcane
Easily beat normal with Priest. And Priest suppossed to be worst for dealing with the second one. So it looks like the bosses don't stand any chance against any decent constructed deck. Class chalenges look a bit more because your decks are very suboptimal, but still pose a little chalenge.
Well, hope that they didn't joke about Heroic being hard.

da_rays

Augur
Anyone here like to play Mana wraith? I got that little bugger in 3 of my deck , shaman , Paladin and Rogue. It's like a 2/2 with taunt with a magnet for dmging spell haha. Pretty cool to have in a shaman deck. It's a total bitch too on turn 1 + coin if your adversary aint got no direct dmg.

And yes, servers are totally blizarrested. I think it's like mendatory for them after patching something.

DakaSha

Arcane
Sup drog.

no

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom