Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearts of Iron 4 - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by GarfunkeL, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    *sad potato noises*

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Sacrifice Poland to save the world you say? Where do I sign?

• :( :( x 2
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Poland was going to get independence eventually, at least from Germany and AH.

There is the matter of Serbia too.

^ Top  
  4. Comte Arcane

Comte
    The best timeline

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    First time seriously playing HOI4. Let's see if/how much they managed to polish the turd that it was at release.

First negative impression: the Russian soldiers in the 1910 scenario of The Great War Redux keep insolently replying with "slushayu" when selected. They should be whipped. The proper form of address in 1910 is "slushayu-s"!

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    AwesomeButton 1910 scenario in HoI4? Huh? Are those two separate thoughts, one about HoI4 and the other Darkest Hour?

^ Top  
  7. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    So, are they adding anything new for the new DLC - other than three national focus trees? I have literally hundreds of hours in the game but no way I am paying for shit mods add for free and better.

^ Top  
  8. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    DH only has a 1914 scenario about WWI. I was talking about the "The Great War Redux" mod for HOI4.

Paradox is having a developer weekend on Steam and I grabbed HOI4 with the meaningful part of its DLCs.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    Ah, cool, enjoy. ^^ I'm actually kinda excited about the little mini-DLC they're releasing in a couple of weeks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    Thinking of loading this up again and giving it another go. I can play as nuclear Australia right, just research nukes and drop them on random capital cities while remaining cozy on my impenetrable southern island?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    In honor of the Aussie who developed the latest expansion? I can't let go of the irony there :)

^ Top  
  12. RobotSquirrel Educated

RobotSquirrel
    The irony that someone from Adelaide was responsible for a Turkish themed expansion as well lol.
    Anzacs would be proud... oh wait a second.

It wouldn't be paradox if you couldn't reform the ottoman empire in one of their games.

^ Top  
  13. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Ottoman Empire was gone what, 18 years at game start? Certainly makes more sense than Byzantine, especially if they change the name...

^ Top  
  14. Mark.L.Joy Savant

Mark.L.Joy
    Byzantium is kinda of a meme at this point they wouldn't miss the chance for historical accuracy.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    LoL greeks still want to restore byzantine empire,it is not inaccurate at all.

• incline incline x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Not only a guy from Adelaide is doing a Turkey-themed expansion. Check who was in charge of the Ottoman forces at Gallipoli.

^ Top  
  17. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    Stuff like this consistently makes me think of this series of kebab joints in Melbourne that have these big Gallipoli memorial things on the wall. Fucking fantastic falafels and turşu too. :P

[​IMG]

Bonus Round:

The clearest picture I could find of the actual text is a selfie from one of the employees. It's cute in an endearing way, lmao.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

But yeah, afaict the only Turks interested in stoking bullshit flames are the kids of migrants in Europe who don't know anything about the actual state of the place under Erdogan.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Turks are the only Balkanites without an inferiority complex about their past.

^ Top  
  19. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    Not to turn this into GD, but the number of Turks I've seen online that make absolutely ridiculous claims like that the Pantheon in Rome was based on a Turkish Yurt makes me think otherwise. (This guy needs a class on linguistics with etymology like that.)

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    You mean the only ones that have one lol,also not glorious Balkankebabs for sure!

Ahhh well it makes sense,all migrants are scum that cut away from their tribe and end up as salves to foreign culture. They are pretty much glitch,their children for most part are normal and recognize their parents as cunts and subconsciously know that they are in the wrong place and this is not their tribe. The desire to belong is very strong thing.

^ Top  
  21. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    RIP, fanta thinks I'm scum. ;( ;( ;(

Oki, I'll stop derailing thethread.

Very, very, very (veeeeeeeeery) vaguely relevant, I still think this game should have a culture/religion (ethnic?) system of some sort, though it's probably absent because it's too touchy a subject in some areas, and PDX already have enough trouble avoiding 'embarrassment' from HoI's fanbase.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    :lol:
    I think that all migrants are scum,not that you are one,there is a difference. Also i don't know you thus i can't say if you are or not :).

That said you should live in your own country and adapt to your own culture instead of larping foreign one while mixing it with crumbs from your old one.

^ Top  
  23. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    I don't think post-colonial countries really work the same, honestly. It's a much different experience moving from one old world country to another, than to one in the new world. (But message me if you want to determine if I'm scum or not, haha.)

This, incidentally, relates to my issues with the lack of culture/religion/ethnicity/etc. in HoI4. They don't represent the key differences between the likes of Netherlands and Australia, or hell, even Greece and Japan. Whether you play a melting pot or a country that recently emerged from a nationalist movement, there's nothing making those huge distinctions real beyond whatever flavour is built into a focus tree or whatever.

^ Top  
  24. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    I had a post that wouldn't derail the thread and I wanted to try to narrate in how many places the game is absolutely broken, and that's 4 years after release, but I need to play more before I can make a good summary of it.

^ Top  
  25. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I would like to see it.

I dunno, I just can't get into HOI IV as much as I can into DH.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.