Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helldivers 2

Nerf Shield, nerf rovers. Sick of seeing them in every loadout.

If you nerf the backpack strats people will just use autocannon for everything.

The problem with the game is that it's just a proc-gen map running sim. It's not like the old battlefield games since at least there, the real player dynamics and high player count keep things interesting.
I wouldn't mind autocannon as it has some drawbacks. The shield generator is just silly, seeing people run around swarms of enemies getting "hit" to no effect. I think at the very least the player should still be staggered. And the rovers are a cheap (gameplay-wise) method of dealing with mobs that would be better attributed to team loadout. They should have to "recharge" much more frequently.

MasPingon

Arcane
I got refund because it crashed 7 out of 10 times I've tried to play it thanks to malvare they're installing on your computer(they call GameGuard).

From what I saw it is another one of those social games, like LOL, which core design is to collect all badges and shit so you can now play missions for "veterans" with "cool guys". It doesn't seem to apeal to lets say L4D players, more League of Legends players. It's a shooter without a fucking jump option and no verticality, but it has "skills" like in LOL dressed up as stratagem. The fact that my friends who used to play this LOL abomination of game now are playing this seems to confirm my theory.

Last edited:

Artyoan

Arbiter
The cynicism for this game seems to come from the bizarre expectation that it should be endless entertainment. Got over 100 hours out of it and I'm sure I'll play it more. I have every single upgrade and everything worth getting with medals out of the packs. The basic gameplay is just fun, absent any progression, even still.

The crashes are the only major issue I have. If I were to quit playing it as of now, it is a 9/10 game.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
1711635330011.png

Hell Swarm

Educated
The cynicism for this game seems to come from the bizarre expectation that it should be endless entertainment. Got over 100 hours out of it and I'm sure I'll play it more. I have every single upgrade and everything worth getting with medals out of the packs. The basic gameplay is just fun, absent any progression, even still.

The crashes are the only major issue I have. If I were to quit playing it as of now, it is a 9/10 game.
I have 30 hours in it and I think maybe 15 of those were quite tedious. The game is very close to being a 9/10 but it easily drags into a 6/10. They need to refine a lot of the weaponry and monsters to make them more enjoyable to fight. The higher difficulties aren't more challenging due to skill requirements, they just add stupidly hard to kill enemies you're forced to call a laser in to nuke. The early game promises a lot more than the late game delivers when every level is effectively identical and enemies become so dangerous you can't really fight them in a fair way any more. The robots just nade you or make your base gun worthless so you can't do shit but spam your special weapons and call downs. It seriously limits the player options increasing the repetitiveness.

Imagine the game we have now but it included entering a bug hive and having to fight in narrow corridors as streams of bugs come at you. Or we enter a robot factory and you don't know which robots are active and which are still being assembled as they roll past you on a conveyor belt. There is so much potential built around the core gameplay and none of it is pushed. They expect you to play the same 2 missions (blow up a bug hole/laugh a rocket/kill a big thing or defend a location/scientists) over and over with the unlocks keeping you coming back for more. Which gets pretty tedious once the gameplay narrows you into very specific options to deal with every enemy encounter.

Presentation is going along way to sell this game but it's an early live service game and it needs another year to flesh it's self out and add additional game types.

That new heavy machine gun is terrible. It doesn't have heavy armor penetration, so I really don't get the point of it. The regular machine gun at max rpm already obliterates small/medium armor bugs and automatons.

Artyoan

Arbiter
The Quasar apparently is mad overpowered and is probably gonna get nerfed :/

Edit: I just tested it, it is just as good as people say.
If/when they nerf it, I'll be curious to see how they go about it. I tested it very briefly on a solo easy mission and it is basically an infinite ammo Expendable Anti-Tank with a four second wind up and small cooldown period. There could be no enemy dropship that survived if I were in the vicinity.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If/when they nerf it, I'll be curious to see how they go about it. I tested it very briefly on a solo easy mission and it is basically an infinite ammo Expendable Anti-Tank with a four second wind up and small cooldown period. There could be no enemy dropship that survived if I were in the vicinity.

They probably already have a plan on how to nerf it, this introductory OP period is just fanservice. You see this a lot in these live-service games.

The easiest way is just to nerf the duration between shots. It's so ludicrously short I almost want to say it's faster than the recoilless reload time.

I found myself spamming it because why not?

Artyoan

Arbiter

They probably already have a plan on how to nerf it, this introductory OP period is just fanservice. You see this a lot in these live-service games.

The easiest way is just to nerf the duration between shots. It's so ludicrously short I almost want to say it's faster than the recoilless reload time.

I found myself spamming it because why not?
My usual loadout has been the Eagle Airstrike, Expendable Anti-Tank, Autocannon, and either the gatling or autocannon sentry. If they make the cooldown too long then the EAT is still better. I litter the entire map with EAT's all mission long. Plus I can dump two into a bile titan's face faster than the Quasar can.

randir14

Augur
Which weapons are actually able to penetrate armor? I've unlocked the auto cannon but it just bounces off the larger robots unless I hit their weak spots.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Which weapons are actually able to penetrate armor? I've unlocked the auto cannon but it just bounces off the larger robots unless I hit their weak spots.

Anything that's explosive has some kind of anti-armor IIRC, but viability may vary. The current meta is Railgun (unsafe charge), EATs, Recoilless Rifle if you have a dedicated buddy, and the new Quasar which is just EATs with a charge meter and infinite ammo.

I've been rocking the Quasar on level 9 bot missions and it carries hard.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Tried playing this again and I think I'm going to uninstall it until they expand on the missions. New equipment isn't resolving the issue of every map playing almost identical. All the objectives are so similar none of the maps are designed in any special way. They could be pre-generated for how bland they are. Until they add some alternative missions and some decent maps it's a grind to unlock equipment and any difficulty increases is calling in your drops to kill an otherwise killable even my and the exact same game play.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane

Anything that's explosive has some kind of anti-armor IIRC, but viability may vary. The current meta is Railgun (unsafe charge), EATs, Recoilless Rifle if you have a dedicated buddy, and the new Quasar which is just EATs with a charge meter and infinite ammo.

I've been rocking the Quasar on level 9 bot missions and it carries hard.
For 'primary' weapons the scorcher works well on bots with its splash explosives, can two shot striders to the faceplate, the JAR Dominator which is allegedly explosive, cannot, but it has a higher damage throughput but needing to blast the legs is tedious. Both work a treat on the berserkers and if the kamikazi jetpack bots get in your face you can groundshoot to avoid dying to your own round or the jetpacks explosion. Autocannon is a solid pick for bots but its somewhat finnicky, have to target above the weakspot, two shots hulks, can groundshoot chaff, and works well on most, takes up a backpack and has moderate reload. Bots are almost blind and deaf so you can disengage and dive into concealment then work around to get out if you finish an objective. Stun grenades can lock down groups but leave you with limited means to deal with fabricators, can call down a resupply at the doorway for it to drop the bugger, most explosive weapons can deal with them but the angle can get screwy, or wait for bots to open the doors and use explosives there. AMR isnt awful now, but it lacks quite a bit of authority that most other stratagems bring.

Scorcher is at the last level of the basic unlock tree, JAR Dominator is at the last level of the first supercredit unlock tree

Arcthrower got a balance change that turned it from palpatine unlimited power vs bugs into lol stunlock hulks, so thats an interesting change, 6 hits to kill but he just stands there, menacingly impotent

joined the fray full price because too many of my friends were playing it and i've been looking for a multiplayer shooter for a loooooong time.
like the game, hate the meta. "alright, we finished the mission in 5 minutes, now let's spend the next 30 looking into every nook and cranny".

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
like the game, hate the meta. "alright, we finished the mission in 5 minutes, now let's spend the next 30 looking into every nook and cranny".

The 40-minute missions are straight up procedural busywork. The 15-minute missions are just mindless killing sprees. The 20-minute defense missions are the only interesting ones but they're endlessly bugged.

Gerrard

Arcane
joined the fray full price because too many of my friends were playing it and i've been looking for a multiplayer shooter for a loooooong time.
Completing the final main objective quadruples enemy patrol spawn rate, you should always do side stuff before it, on the way to main objectives.

The Decline

Arcane
Started playing it a few days ago, it's pretty damn fun. I haven't looked up anything about the meta or whatever, just doing missions or dropping into others. Now I need to convince my brother to buy it and play with me.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I had the most fun with this game when the multiplayer was broken. Playing low difficulty solo and having to sneak around and take out objectives carefully was so much more rewarding than high level 4 player teams.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Absolute worst cunts of players are playing difficulty 4-6. Below that it’s noobs or high level dudes chilling and farming samples or super credits, above that it’s effective players that usually know what they’re doing, but at 4-6 it’s guys dropping stratagems on your head, ignoring special enemy lairs while still aggroing every patrol, and TKers /extraction kickers.

Get the fuck out of difficulty 4-6 if you aren’t already. Game doesn’t really start to get fun until 7 anyway.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Absolute worst cunts of players are playing difficulty 4-6. Below that it’s noobs or high level dudes chilling and farming samples or super credits, above that it’s effective players that usually know what they’re doing, but at 4-6 it’s guys dropping stratagems on your head, ignoring special enemy lairs while still aggroing every patrol, and TKers /extraction kickers.

Get the fuck out of difficulty 4-6 if you aren’t already. Game doesn’t really start to get fun until 7 anyway.

My advice is just play difficulty 9. Every once in a while you get some assholes, but most of the time you get the most chill teammates who know what they're doing.

The only problem is if you're running public games sometimes you run into a squad of <level 30s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom