Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hello and some praise to Bethesda

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The only game of Beth I really loved was Future Shock.

sintinian

Novice
this is my first post on rpg codex - and you can actually write FUCK!

with the right mods, i think oblivion is a decent game (sad how it requires modders to transform a poor game developed by over 100 people into a decent one), but what i hate most about it is the lack of character role-playing! the dialogue choices are laughable and there's no real game for even slightly evil characters. you do a quest the honourable way, or not at all!
its ok though, i didnt pay for it...

But the thing that really gets me about bethesda is the fact that they ignored a 90% finished fallout 3 to develope there own! i mean, who do they think they are? they claim to be fans of the fallout franchise so why couldn't they have bought the licence then hired the original team to finish an almost finished game? they could have published it and still had there name on the box. which brings me to the fact that bethesda know they could never create a masterpiece like fallout, but now they have their name on the franchise! after fallout 3's release i bet they'll re-release a box set containing the original 2 titles and new rpg gamers will believe bethesda are responsible for them!

oh, and fallout WAS developed by black isle, but by a different team to those who made BG.

sorry if this is just a repeat of any previous posts

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
sintinian said:
this is my first post on rpg codex - and you can actually write FUCK!
Amazing, isn't it?

its ok though, i didnt pay for it...
Yeah, like it was some kind of protest. *rolls eyes*

But the thing that really gets me about bethesda is the fact that they ignored a 90% finished fallout 3 to develope there own!
Don't blame them for that. Trying to complete an unfinished game (and be blamed later for someone else's ideas) is a bitch.

oh, and fallout WAS developed by black isle, but by a different team to those who made BG.
*sigh* First, Black Isle was formed later. The core of the Fallout team was gone shortly after the game was released. Second, Bioware made the BG games, not Black Isle.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Binary said:
I don't think we shouldbe thankful to brands/company names but the good people that worked on those brands and companies, instead.

You are absolutely right, of course.
However, it is possible to regard a brand/company as an entity with a personality of it's own.
This personality evolves and changes depending on the people working for the company and other factors as well. If the persons responsible for the best aspects of Daggerfall have indeed left Bethesda, that's not good for the company. Nor for the prospect of upcoming games like Fallout 3.

The evolving entity that is Bethesda has changed for the worse over the years, I think we all agree. But I would put this down to cluelessness rather than "evil".
As for the hype and the "lies", I believe they for the most part believed their own hyperbole and really wanted Oblivion to be all things to everybody. The entety that is Bethesda is nothing if not ambitious. :?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
sheek said:
Lyric Suite said:
NWN2 is due in about a week. I think i'm going to play that first, then wait until all the bugs have been patched out.

Lyric Suite@Obsidian said:
Lyric Suite
Mar 8 2006, 02:33 PM
Say what you will about the Codex, but that interview is one of the reasons i'm happy they are around. When was the last time you read an interview that wasn't overly polite and didn't have the same old, boring questions?

That said, i will not be joining their forum, ever...

:lol:

What can i say, i was so impressed i finally caved in and made an account.

WTF

Novice
Grandpa Gamer said:
I believe they for the most part believed their own hyperbole and really wanted Oblivion to be all things to everybody. The entety that is Bethesda is nothing if not ambitious. :?

No, I think they lied their ass off. They knew full well Obshition would have no interest for hard core gamers but they continued to reasure them simply for cash. Tossers

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
WTF said:
Grandpa Gamer said:
I believe they for the most part believed their own hyperbole and really wanted Oblivion to be all things to everybody. The entety that is Bethesda is nothing if not ambitious. :?

No, I think they lied their ass off. They knew full well Obshition would have no interest for hard core gamers but they continued to reasure them simply for cash. Tossers
Just wondering, but how would you know what Bethesda knows and thinks?

...you didn't take extreme measures by sleeping with one of the(female) devs did you? :shock:

WTF

Novice
OK I admit, I plugged that bastad Todd Howard up his tight ass, in return he promised lots of immersun, depth and dialogue choices...

Sadly we all know how it turned out!

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
No, he meant you, in fact, KC/random moron, please get another account and stop being such an ass, it is annoying.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Ahzaruuk said:
Just wondering, but how would you know what Bethesda knows and thinks?

I know nothing. I'm only speculating.
I don't presume to know anything about any of Bethesda's employees.
I'm talking about the soul of the abstract entety that is Bethesda.
The soul of the company. The sum of the parts.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
WTF said:
I think they lied their ass off. They knew full well Obshition would have no interest for hard core gamers but they continued to reasure them simply for cash. Tossers

The notion that Bethesda would deliberately try to fool the "hard core" RPG people (us) into buying Oblivion, knowingly disappointing part of their audience, just don't make sense.

The entety that is Bethesda wants to stay in business.

If you truly believe that a certain segment of your audience will hate your game, you don't want them to buy it in the first place.
Any sale is not a good sale. A disappointed customer will tell his friends and the word will spread.
Of course you want as many people as possible to buy your game. But you also want them to like it. You want them to tell their friends how awesome the game is, and you want them to eagerly anticipate the next game that you are already working on.

That is, if you want to stay in business and prosper.

The entety that is Bethesda is not evil, but it gets high on wishful thinking.
Bethesda might have been aware of the fact that Oblivion was not truly, exactly what the "hard core" RPG people said they wanted...
But surely, the entety that is Bethesda figured, even they will be blown away by the greatness that is Oblivion and like it anyway.

Wishful thinking is a powerful drug.
Consider John Romero. :lol: Certainly he did not brag about Daikatana just to be made the laughingstock of the entire gaming universe?
He didn't "lie". He didn't want to fool you. No, he wanted to make you his bitch, if I remember correctly.
John Romero believed that Daikatana would be the best game ever (or is that "evar"?)
He believed his own hyperbole.
A bit sad, that.

Bethesda is a bit like that too.

And I'm thankful.

A more sensible and at the same time more "evil" entety, like EA, are happy to release reasonably mediocre games on a reasonably regular basis.
All very reasonable. All very boring.

The entety that is Bethesda wants to conjure up a huge, sprawling, completely believable fantasy world, where the player can do absolutely anything. :shock:
An impossible task. But they have kept on trying since Arena. And they keep on trying.

My hope is that they get more things right the next time.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
aweigh said:

Thanks.
English is not my first language and I don't use spellchecking. :oops:
(Why don't I use spellchecking? Well, much for the same reason I don't give up on Bethesda, I guess.)

I problably won't spell entity wrong again anytime soon.
Thank you very much for bothering to correct an old geezer like me.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Grandpa Gamer said:
(Why don't I use spellchecking? Well, much for the same reason I don't give up on Bethesda, I guess.)

You mean, you are dumb fuck?

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
You know, I'm surprised to not see anyone tubgirl the old coot. The more I read his stuff, the more I think KC is posting from a library or some such- just to throw us off the trail.

I find myself sceptical of anyone on a role-playing forum. He's a master of disguise.

He`s contemptous, you know
of your Godgiven stupidities

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
:roll:
Well, well...
It seems a simple spelling error is all it takes for a moderately serious discussion to deteriorate into silly jibing and playground antics in this forum.

I had hoped my analogy between Bethesda and John Romero would merit some serious reflection and perhaps a laugh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom