Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hello, new to site and looking for recommendations for crpg

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm gonna be honest, my problem while playing party based rpgs is that I have too much trouble when I make my party, since I want everything to be perfect and suit my idea of a team and then I end up with way too many options, that's what happened to me at least with games like Baldur's Gate 2 or some examples, I find that there is so many options for each char that I end up not understanding how to build my guys. Might have to do that I have never played a DND type game before and I never really got into the multi classing stuff, I am kinda stoopid not gonna lie.
Git gud then. I know how having to make a whole party might be discouraging, but it's important to remember that games like Icewind Dail and Temple of Elemental Evil on normal difficulty are balanced to be beatable with suboptimal stats. You don't need to have 18's all around, and if you pick spells which are not that good or focus on a proficiency with weapons that are worse than alternatives, it really shouldn't matter all that much.

For an easy to get into party cRPG I recommend one of the best games in the last 30 years, period. Knights of the Chalice. Only 4 party members, 3 classes, great in-game manual, lots of fun and almost no issues (which is not the case with Temple, oh no it's not). Stay away from KotC2 for now.

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
For reference I am a really big fan of the original Fallout, I really enjoyed age of decadence and I'm liking Expeditions: Rome a lot.
You will probably enjoy Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2. Colony Ship from the developers of Age of Decadence is coming out in less than a month.

As far as older RPGs, I would recommend Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail (not HD). Those who recommend HD are trolling you.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Because Witcher 2 is an abomination. Worst combat in RPG history (if Morrowind and Arcanum didn't exist), weird pacing, shit jumping all over the place, technical issues, etc. You should still play it once, just to follow the Witcher series overall plot, but as a standalone game, it's SHITE.
doesn't suffice that you will apologize - you will also help at a soup kitchen for 40h
C'mon, Maxie. Witcher 2 is objectively the worst of the three, and I say that despite its excellant, even stellar, English translation.

Spare Porky the kitchen, send him to clean the shower chambers instead.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Because Witcher 2 is an abomination. Worst combat in RPG history (if Morrowind and Arcanum didn't exist), weird pacing, shit jumping all over the place, technical issues, etc. You should still play it once, just to follow the Witcher series overall plot, but as a standalone game, it's SHITE.
doesn't suffice that you will apologize - you will also help at a soup kitchen for 40h
C'mon, Maxie. Witcher 2 is objectively the worst of the three, and I say that despite its excellant, even stellar, English translation.

Polish matters will be discussed among Poles. Foreigners need not pry. All they are fit for is to pay for Polish games, or else.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you'd prefer to not play party-based games, you should check out Arcanum and Underrail. Most of the best CRPGs are party-based though.
Examples of those you think are the best?
The Wizardry series (in particular 6 and 7), the Might and Magic series, and the Gold Box series (in particular Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds).

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Polish matters will be discussed among Poles. Foreigners need not pry. All they are fit for is to pay for Polish games, or else.
Oh all right, all right. But I insist Porky gets the... shower... chamber duty instead of kitchen duty.

VerSacrum

Educated
Guess my avatar betrays me as a fanboy of it, but seconding the Realms of Arkania trilogy, and perhaps the second Drakensang (River of Time). Even if the system it's based on loses a bit of charm in translation.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I was thinking I could ask you guys for some recommendations for CRPG games since it's a genre I'm really enjoying but can't seem to find a lot of games that I actually thoroughly enjoy.
For reference I am a really big fan of the original Fallout, I really enjoyed age of decadence and I'm liking Expeditions: Rome a lot. I don't really enjoy party games but I can find them fun if they let me customize characters a lot, I don't like preset characters even if they have their own stories and quests. I like preplanning my parties to make them like a complete entity. I know a lot of the games or tried them so I'm mainly looking for some I might have missed.

I've played Path of Exile, Pathfinder, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Age of Decadence and maybe some more. Tiranny is one I might try again sometime. Thanks a lot guys, I'll read every comment and answer if I feel I can add something.
Battle Brothers. Also Deus Ex.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Problems with choosing classes/races in RPGS? Fuck those bastard bitch classes races and sexes.

GO FULL BLOWN SAUSAGE FEST OF HUMAN KNIGHTS (or fighters/warriors or whatever the game uses) and hack and slash to the end. Fuck off sissy mages, pussy priests, snatchy rogues and jackoff of all trades. BLEH!!!!

And yeah, ARKANIA HD will rip yer balls off and shove excitement and drama down yer throat. It is…….

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
you have to learn how to manage a party

some games have auto leveling for party members

but doing it yourself gives you more options for synergy to create a strong party.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Why are people recommending games that have nothing to do with those that he liked?

He is asking for something similar to:
Fallout
Age of Decadence
Expeditions Rome
Underrail
Path of Exile
Baldur's Gate
Tyranny

Preferrably without preset characters that join you. Speaking of which, Icewind Dale 1 & 2 are probably more along those lines since you create your whole party, instead of having NPCs join you like in Baldur's Gate.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Why are people recommending games that have nothing to do with those that he liked?

Fallout
Age of Decadence
Expeditions Rome
Underrail
Path of Exile
Baldur's Gate
Tyranny

Preferrably without preset characters that join you. Speaking of which, Icewind Dale 1 & 2 are probably more along those lines since you create your whole party, instead of having NPCs join you like in Baldur's Gate.
because he said he doesn’t like games that have a party because managing them is too complex for him

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I thought he got all angsty over party creation? Maybe preset characters and parties should be up his ally. Maybe he should just play JRPGS like Final Fantasy post party creation.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fallout
Age of Decadence
Expeditions Rome
Underrail
Path of Exile
Baldur's Gate
Tyranny

He should play Realms of Arkania HD.

I'm gonna be honest, my problem while playing party based rpgs is that I have too much trouble when I make my party, since I want everything to be perfect and suit my idea of a team and then I end up with way too many options, that's what happened to me at least with games like Baldur's Gate 2 or some examples, I find that there is so many options for each char that I end up not understanding how to build my guys. Might have to do that I have never played a DND type game before and I never really got into the multi classing stuff, I am kinda stoopid not gonna lie.
It's not hard to understand, in infinity engine and most party RPGs you need:

fighter to tank,
maybe thief to unlock doors/chest and steal,
a mage to do magic damage,
a priest to heal.

That is really, the rest is optional, with a fighter you should focus on strenght and vitality and stick to leveling one or two weapon skill, with thief go dexterity and preferable ranged weapons, mage go intelligence and priest go wisdom.

i actually disappointed with party based RPGs in this aspect, they all feel the same with the fighter/thief/mage/healer roles and are designed around you having those 4 tired classes. From my experience, one man class based RPGs offers more variety in gameplay with each class than party based ones, in Gothic and Diablo for example, melee/ranged/mage plays very different from each other and gameplay is designed around each class, party based ones in contrast, are designed around having a balanced party, in others words, the same fighter/thief/mage/healer roles again.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Repeating others that the RPG Codex's Top 101 List is a good starting point. Close your eyes, spin the scroll wheel up and down aggressively, and whatever game your cursor lands on, you play it.
But lukaszek told me that deterministic systems > RNG
łukasz is the most random person i'm aware of. he unironically invited me to a beer, supposedly visited the bar, never met me, and left. if you're reading this lukaszek you owe me a beer ok

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Repeating others that the RPG Codex's Top 101 List is a good starting point. Close your eyes, spin the scroll wheel up and down aggressively, and whatever game your cursor lands on, you play it.
But lukaszek told me that deterministic systems > RNG
łukasz is the most random person i'm aware of. he unironically invited me to a beer, supposedly visited the bar, never met me, and left. if you're reading this lukaszek you owe me a beer ok
you were no show and think i owe you anything, regardless of other lies you keep spewing in here
even wore my washed oblivion tshirt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom