Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Help the University of Missouri-Columbia answer: Why do you play games?

Murk

Arcane
Neat stuff -- interesting seeing all the comments about the research being bad :3 (I do not think it is, but I don't think I'd ever focus on video games for something as large as this, either).

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I find it fascinating how Baldur's Gate fans utterly hate losing.

It's actually the other way around -- sorry that's unclear! In the full article, we refer to that factor as "Loss-Aversion", and questions like "Winning is fun; Losing isn't" load upon it. So Baldur's Gate fans are actually some of the people most okay with getting crushed periodically. I was really hoping to get enough roguelikers in the sample to see how they compare, but didn't have the data for it... I'd guess that people who can deal with losing several hours' progress at Dungeon Crawl or blowing a promising Spelunky run are quite resilient.
So Fallout 1&2 fans love social stuff? 10 minutes of reading these forums shoots that down pretty soundly.

hipscumbag

Educated
I find it fascinating how Baldur's Gate fans utterly hate losing.

It's actually the other way around -- sorry that's unclear! In the full article, we refer to that factor as "Loss-Aversion", and questions like "Winning is fun; Losing isn't" load upon it. So Baldur's Gate fans are actually some of the people most okay with getting crushed periodically. I was really hoping to get enough roguelikers in the sample to see how they compare, but didn't have the data for it... I'd guess that people who can deal with losing several hours' progress at Dungeon Crawl or blowing a promising Spelunky run are quite resilient.
So Fallout 1&2 fans love social stuff? 10 minutes of reading these forums shoots that down pretty soundly.

Oh no, the "Losing" scale is the only one that's reverse-coded. It's hard to talk about it without getting turned around, the idea of how upset losing makes you. Maybe I could've given it a catchier name...

But yes, all the other scales are scored the way you'd expect. So people who mentioned Fallout 1 or 2 as one of their favorite games tend to play by themselves.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

How do you people read these things? If WoW players have a positive score on social interaction and Fallout fans a very negative score, then that means Fallout fans are NOT into social stuff and like to play on their own.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
fXhQrNd.png
Why is Story so low for Deus Ex? And why's it so high for Minecraft?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I play games so I can post about them on RPG Codex.
Lately I have been too lazy to play games so I watch them on Youtube.

Yeah.

:avatard:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Why would anyone play Deus Ex for its dumb conspiracy-theory-kitchen-sink story?
:rpgcodex:
I find conspiracy theories fascinating, and not all of them are unwarranted. The story is more relevant now than ever, with the Kwan government using terrorism as an excuse to create a police state and wage war against its own people.

More to the point, why is it so high for Skyrim?
A story doesn't need to be good for the masses to like it, just look at Harry Potter ffs.

deuxhero

Arcane
'Do you consider yourself hispanic?' is a extremely difficult question for an iberian (spaniard or portuguese)

Not really? Hispanic is those coming from south and central America. Spaniards are sometime mistakenly referred to as ''Hispanic'' but they're officially European or ''Caucasian''.

"Hispanic" has nothing to do with Hispania?

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
'Do you consider yourself hispanic?' is a extremely difficult question for an iberian (spaniard or portuguese)

Not really? Hispanic is those coming from south and central America. Spaniards are sometime mistakenly referred to as ''Hispanic'' but they're officially European or ''Caucasian''.

"Hispanic" has nothing to do with Hispania?

It has to do with them taking over South America 500 years ago. And having a long lasting influence, therefore creating all these different Hispanic cultures. But Someone from Spain is referred to as a Spaniard, European or Caucasian.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're supposed to refer to people from central and south America as Latino/Latina to be 100% PC these days.

Murk

Arcane
Nah, Mexicans look down on Hondurans. Familia mijo, familia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom