Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Help the University of Missouri-Columbia answer: Why do you play games?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
DO YOU SEE YOURSELF AS HISPANIC

Do you have a big cock? If yes, and if you did not state that you saw yourself as African American, please take a moment to reconsider your reply.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Clearly written by a story fag though.
Not at all, Joe got into an argument with John "Good grief, only I may define what games and ungames are" Walker when the former criticized "the Frankenstein monster at Bioware."

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
ITT: People commenting on a psychology research without knowing exactly what the research is about and how it is conducted.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Why do people play games?

Because it's fun.

What do different people want when they play games?

That would depend on their preferences but my guess is that they have fun overcoming a challenge. Of course for some the challenge is akin to hopping over a puddle in the road while others would prefer to french-kiss a cobra.

Why do some people hate the games other people love, and vice-versa?

Because love and hate are a matter of preferences and we aren't equal in that regard. We didn't wait for video games to get our intellects clouded by our emotions.

There, all done!

Stelcio

Savant
What do different people want when they play games?

That would depend on their preferences but my guess is that they have fun overcoming a challenge. Of course for some the challenge is akin to hopping over a puddle in the road while others would prefer to french-kiss a cobra.

Why do some people hate the games other people love, and vice-versa?

Because love and hate are a matter of preferences and we aren't equal in that regard. We didn't wait for video games to get our intellects clouded by our emotions.

There, all done!
Emmm, no, because the whole research is about these preferences and how they vary. Stating that our preferences just differ isn't much of a research, is it.

Clearly written by a story fag though.
Not at all, Joe got into an argument with John "Good grief, only I may define what games and ungames are" Walker when the former criticized "the Frankenstein monster at Bioware."

I don't know any of these people. It's not well put together and if he is not a storyfag himself then he must be expecting the audience to respond to story content very strongly. I felt rather alienated in that way

Fezzik

Cipher
I really don't get you guys sometimes. This isn't even "we're elite and critical," this is just skywaying for the sake of skywaying.

Cassidy

Arcane
I'm well aware that the Codex attracts a particular breed of gamer.

You're in for a disappointment, or perhaps not. It'll be funny to have quantified empirical evidence that the majority of the active userbase here is just more full of posers than the Kotaku, GameSpot and IGN crowds, and besides that almost equal in behavior to the average console player that spends his daddy's wallet in money-grabbing DLCs, if not even more mindlessly fanboyish and consumerist than them.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Emmm, no, because the whole research is about these preferences and how they vary. Stating that our preferences just differ isn't much of a research, is it.

It certainly wouldn't be a very original one for sure.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
Is there a 'play for escapism so I don't have to think about the fact humanity is doomed' option? Won't bother without that options inclusion.

Tigranes

Arcane
Done. I don't mind the repetitive questions as much and I am aware, from my loose academic relation to psychology and survey techniques, that they do serve a purpose. I do think it went a little overboard, though, at the expense of response rate. What will be interesting is how you guys interpret the data.

(1) Unless you're a really nice and patient person (or raging at the survey at every Q), most people will be in a flow (Csikzentmihalyi)-like state by the third or fourth page, as opposed to giving equal consideration to every question, so you'd want to account for that somehow, and account for how answers change (or not) depending on where they are placed, which would be interesting.
(2) No doubt you're looking for whether people answer two questions with virtually the same content in different ways depending on where they come up and how they are worded. It would be a pity if that was just a way to argue that the survey format lets you get through people's own self-image and presentation to what they really feel - I think that privileges the survey too much. It would be much more interesting to respect seeming contradictions as contradictions, rather than harbouring underlying continuities. (Easy one: why would people like to blow up corpses when they don't like violence in games? Answer isn't necessarily that they are in denial, and actually want the violence.)

So yeah, let us know when you have an article or something we can read.

Marsal

Arcane
(Easy one: why would people like to blow up corpses when they don't like violence in games? Answer isn't necessarily that they are in denial, and actually want the violence.)

Soldier of Fortune, man... fucking Soldier of Fortune... so much blood and severed limbs...

RmcvR.gif

Captain Shrek

Another gem from social sciences.

The tragedy is that it will become now established research because: A million idiots answered it!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I don't play games because I'm angry, but the 11th time the survey asked me if I did, I got a little annoyed.
When I got the "do you mind grinding for 1-2 hours for an item you want?" question came up, I breifly wondered if answering "disagree" to "I PLAY GAMES BECAUSE I AM ANGRY AND THEY MAKE ME CALM DOWN!" on every page for an amazon gift card would qualify.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
totally subjective of course my work here is done :smug:
Since I was the only subject of your weak attempt to troll, doesn't it make my opinion objective?
You'll have to find something better than half 'Der Spiegel' level of trolling.
Try talking a little less and reading a little more. You might learn something, even about trolling. :thumbsup:

circ

Arcane
I don't play games because I'm angry, but the 11th time the survey asked me if I did, I got a little annoyed.
That's because real psychology digs at your subconscious desires. It wasn't the questions that got you angry, but expert questionaires revealing your subconscious anger.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
No, it was pointless grinding (answering the same question over and over) for next level.

The survey also seemed biased in favour of mumorpegers (MMORPGS) and shooters. There were no questions about comparing armor penetration values of historical tanks, the accuracy of fluid dynamic simulations, medieval breeding programs or evaluating the defensive properties of lightly wooded terrain. My inner TBS player wails in despair.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
omg you have people who press the issue over here like butthurt faggots how quaint

quaint like a little fairy homo fingering his anus in the morning sunlight, waving "hello" to mr bumblebee with his free hand
Why are you rude, bong? Does conversation and using punctuation make you feel uncomfortable, so you have to rely on childish insults in an attempt to make me go away?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
DO YOU WANT TO KILL THINGS? NO REALLY, JUST TELL US HOW YOU'RE GETTING ALL THAT PENT UP ANGER OUT BY CRUSHING THEM PIXELS! SERIOUSLY, WE KNOW YOU'RE NOTHING BUY A VIOLENT CUNT WHO IS TO WEAK TO TAKE IT OUT ON REAL PEOPLE SO YOU WHACK DIGITAL PEOPLE INSTEAD

When someone annoys you IRL, do you imagine to cast Disintegrate (or something similar) on him?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom