Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hibernaculum - sci-fi survival horror dungeon crawler from Wormwood Studios' Victor Pflug

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It reminds me of the old games that had UI filling up a lot of screen space. Why not stylize the "viewer" to look more like a helmet?

A few examples of how it could look:

K9DN1DbZWC6hRQCt-hhPB8FMuG3SQzzYLcb3_tX0CM8.png
8xmaqpnan0i51.jpg
Screenshot_Doom_20191127_220540.png

I don't play 3d games except for Wolfenstein ET lol :D

Nah - the looks doesn't appeal to me I'm afraid.

Harthwain

Magister
What does me playing 2d games have to do with me *making* 2d games?

...You're not terribly bright, are you? lol
Are you drunk?

Who is asking you to make a 3D game? It is entirely possible to get a helmet visor look in a 2D game by modifying the bits of the square. In the HUD visor mod for Doom (the third spoiler) it is simply another layer on top of the main screen. It doesn't appeal to you? That's fine, there is no need to make dumb excuses (like "i PlAy 2d gAmEz1 lul") or insult someone.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
What does me playing 2d games have to do with me *making* 2d games?

...You're not terribly bright, are you? lol
Are you drunk?

Who is asking you to make a 3D game? It is entirely possible to get a helmet visor look in a 2D game by modifying the bits of the square. In the HUD visor mod for Doom (the third spoiler) it is simply another layer on top of the main screen. It doesn't appeal to you? That's fine, there is no need to make dumb excuses (like "i PlAy 2d gAmEz1 lul") or insult someone.

Well for one, I don't drink (on the wagon 2 years and counting) & probably put your brain in gear before opening your mouth would be wise, perhaps?

You are making zero sense as I'm just here to talk about my 2d game, Hibernaculum, and mentioned that no, I don't play many 3d games these days. That is a relevant point to... Making 2d games?

...I feel like I'm explaining coloured blocks to a toddler here lol.

Harthwain

Magister
Well for one, I don't drink (on the wagon 2 years and counting) & probably put your brain in gear before opening your mouth would be wise, perhaps?
Perhaps you got permanent brain damage from drinking all that alcohol. That would explain it. Also, practice what you preach.

You are making zero sense as I'm just here to talk about my 2d game, Hibernaculum, and mentioned that no, I don't play many 3d games these days. That is a relevant point to... Making 2d games?
No, you stupid fuck, it is not. If I am "making zero sense" to you it is probably because you're the one with the brain problem.

It doesn't matter whether you play 3D games or not, because I - too - am not talking about 3D games. You can make a helmet-looking UI element for a 2D game. Doom mod is one example. The guy who is making Conscript said in an interview his game is in 2D, although it looks 3D.

...I feel like I'm explaining coloured blocks to a toddler here lol.
...said the blind man.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Let's bring this discussion right back along to the game - I made a Kyle Reece build in the CHARGEN. Items may have more detailed stats than this but I suppose that depends on a few other factors...

Speaking of maths and stats (UK rap reference) I will be taking questions - answering them - then later purposefully specifically changing stats and how they work and then not telling specifically, so you all play the game incorrectly.

Just kidding - I'll keep it light here because fuck knows things are spicy enough in the first game thread I made here on the ol' Codex 13 years ago lol

#letsplaynice

jsjfhs.gif

Attachments

• KYLE REECE BUILD.gif
    KYLE REECE BUILD.gif
    129.7 KB · Views: 11

covr

Prophet
Patron
Are you still polishing and creating core systems or creating actual content already? How do you create new areas? Is it some sort of custom blocks placement or 3D rendered area made into 2D?

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Are you still polishing and creating core systems or creating actual content already? How do you create new areas? Is it some sort of custom blocks placement or 3D rendered area made into 2D?

So, a bit more explanation of how our systems draw upon older titles can be found back a few pages here - as far as creating areas?

I suppose I'll have to redo the Kickstarter spiel here or something and just re-outline the basics; it's a custom built engine - made in-house.

Nothing is even close to 3d it's very much created in the same ways say for instance - Westwood created Lands of Lore. It's all built on simple interwoven systems integrated into what was basically the missing link between gold box games and the cRPGs that came a bit later but like - this could get into a 9000 page essay just on other games and I'm already digressing.

Suffice to say I guess - yeah there's a lot of info on Hiber on Kickstarter, YouTube, and back in this thread is the best place to start.

Some polishing is actually on the way soon too after some more interconnected stuff gets... Connected :D

(the development schedule is listed on the Kickstarter page too)

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
looks good, but my care for the project will increase the closer we get to release. good luck til then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom