Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Hideki Kamiya leaves Platinum Games

hrmo

Barely Literate
Maybe that's an overstatement but it's the best they've been since the GC/PS2 truly golden era.
I liked RE2 remake and 7. There is a whole new regime over there that does look like they'd be willing to kick the guy who hates DMC off DMC and put Kamiya on, if only to get attention. But going to Microsoft seems more likely.

Also gonna add that the thing that I like about Kamiya on Twitter is that he is primarily on there to demonstrate how much he hates the platform and the internet in general.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Platinum doesnt have its own IP. All of its past successes has been co developed or owned by other publishers and when they fail, they fail hard (aka babylon fall) and few mediocre licensed games.

So there could be trouble in the pipeline

Maybe that's an overstatement but it's the best they've been since the GC/PS2 truly golden era.
Capcom is ok by industry standards, because pretty much all other jap companies of the same are have either died or turned into a parody of themselves (i.e. Konami). But it's a stretch to say pozzed shit like SF6/completely soulless RE4 remake represents anything resembling their heyday.

You can clearly see the ESG rot creeping up in each of their products, albeit at a slower pace than the thoroughly pozzed western industry. I'm looking forward to DD2, but only because I liked the first game so much and it looks to be almost a carbon copy, but that's really about it.

I also enjoy the Monster Hunter games but there's no denying the absolute decline of Rise, even if it's a fun game for awhile. I can't say I'll look forward to the next installment because it'll either be even more sped up for ADHD mongoloids or it'll be a super grind/GAAS abomination.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Although he hasn't made a great game in 20 years.
Don't let Matthewmatosis hear you say that, or he'll join the Codex just so he can write a 10000 word reply post on how the Wonderful 101 is the best game of the 2010's
Also no love for Okami?
Okami deserves no love, one of the most monotonous and long winded games I've ever played. People can suck that artstyle how much ever they want, but the game's a massive chore.

Not to mention Kamiya can't write for shit! And treats you like a fckn 2 year old with short term memory loss.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Who?

Oh, the original Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 are the only good things he was involved in as far as I can tell, that's something, but it also was 25 years ago.
Fuck the guy, and Platinum games has always been overrated as fuck.

Nothing of value lost anywhere.

Elthosian

Arcane
Although he hasn't made a great game in 20 years.
Don't let Matthewmatosis hear you say that, or he'll join the Codex just so he can write a 10000 word reply post on how the Wonderful 101 is the best game of the 2010's
Also no love for Okami?
Okami deserves no love, one of the most monotonous and long winded games I've ever played. People can suck that artstyle how much ever they want, but the game's a massive chore.

Not to mention Kamiya can't write for shit! And treats you like a fckn 2 year old with short term memory loss.

I love Okami but damn the game should have been 1/3 of its actual size. You stop seeing new stuff too soon for them to stretch it that wildly.

911 Jumper

Educated
Who?

Oh, the original Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 are the only good things he was involved in as far as I can tell, that's something, but it also was 25 years ago.
Fuck the guy, and Platinum games has always been overrated as fuck.

Nothing of value lost anywhere.
He was also the director and writer on Devil May Cry (2001), which spawned the “character action” genre. Not a fan of his post Devil May Cry output, though.

This doesn’t seem like that much of a surprise. Kamiya hasn’t been the director on a title their for a decade now. I was thinking he was the director on that Sol Cresta game, but it turns out it’s someone else.

Wonder what this means for

Probably getting a different game director or it will just be abandoned...

It was announced three years ago. It’s possible the game is finished, and that’s why he’s leaving now.

Then again it’s also possible they weren’t happy with it, wanted changes, and that’s why he’s going.

If he went back to Capcom, he wouldn’t be the first PlatinumGames guy to do so. He’d probably actually get to direct more games that way.

911 Jumper

Educated
Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 director Hideki Kamiya has thanked fans for their support following his decision to leave PlatinumGames.

The company’s vice president and co-founder announced on Monday that he will be leaving Platinum next month, and that he made the decision after “a lot of consideration based on my own beliefs”.

Now he’s taken to Twitter to thank people for the messages of support he’s received, and assure them he will continue making games wherever he ends up next.

“I thought I’d be bullied more because of my usual behaviour, but I’m so touched by all the words of support I’ve received,” Kamiya wrote. “Thank you so much.”

He added: “I’m not worried about my future at all. As long as I have your support, I’ll keep making games, and I’ll do my best not to disappoint you.

“When I decided to quit, many of my old and young colleagues and staff were sad to see me go, and some even shed tears for someone like me.

“I realised once again that I was only able to be who I am because of the support of the people around me. I will continue to be grateful for the help of others..”
Perhaps hinting at the reason for his departure, Kamiya then added: “I will continue to believe in the spirit of creation that I have always believed in through my career at Capcom No 4 Development, Clover Studio and Platinum, no matter what anyone says.

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to continue to make games that live up to that belief – I don’t have a formula for success, but I’m committed to aiming for it.”
‘I won’t disappoint you’: Kamiya thanks fans for support after quitting Platinum

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Inaba is obsessed with GaaS bullshit unfortunately, wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with it.
Babylon's Fall likely won't be their last attempt at GaaS.

If one GaaS becomes successful enough, it is basically a money printer. Probably makes even the Federal Reserve jealous lol.

ADL

Prophet
Call me part of the problem or whatever but I was looking forward to Babylon's Fall and if it were good I would've happily bought into everything post-launch. Platinum style action game with the longevity of Destiny/Warframe/Path of Exile would rake in the $$$ so I completely understand why they're trying to do it.

If they don't hit it big with a GaaS they're gonna be making licensed games like Legend of Korra and Transformers until they have one too many bombs in a row, lose the only thing they have going for them (a good reputation from time to time) and shut down.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Surprised so many people think the button mashing & brainless gameplay of MGR is good lol.
The blocking system makes it impossible to play as a button master.

I played the DLC with the easy-mode blocking, and it was a cakewalk compared to the base game on normal, so I believe you may have outed yourself here.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hideki burned all the good will he had within the company with how poorly he mismanaged Scalebound. Was somewhat interested to see what his last chance was going to look like but I guess that fell through as well.

Sentinel

Arcane
Surprised so many people think the button mashing & brainless gameplay of MGR is good lol.
The blocking system makes it impossible to play as a button master.

I played the DLC with the easy-mode blocking, and it was a cakewalk compared to the base game on normal, so I believe you may have outed yourself here.
I never even played the DLC, so I don't know what you're implying. And yes it is a button masher, there are barely any combos, the moves you use don't matter (in fact you don't even have a choice, you just spam the 2 attack buttons), the few extra weapons that exist are worthless and play the same as the base ones, and most of the gameplay revolves around reaching an area and one shotting every enemy with the "nothin' personnel kid" blade mode.

Game has the same issues that plague Nier Automata's and Astral Chain's gameplay - same combat director too. The only reason people forgive MGR is because of factors external to Platinum (music, characters and set pieces). If it wasn't using the metal gear IP no one would remember the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I never even played the DLC, so I don't know what you're implying.
That you played on easy.

And yes it is a button masher, there are barely any combos, the moves you use don't matter (in fact you don't even have a choice, you just spam the 2 attack buttons), the few extra weapons that exist are worthless and play the same as the base ones, and most of the gameplay revolves around reaching an area and one shotting every enemy with the "nothin' personnel kid" blade mode.
I thought it was difficult and got brickwalled several times. :M

Game has the same issues that plague Nier Automata's and Astral Chain's gameplay - same combat director too. The only reason people forgive MGR is because of factors external to Platinum (music, characters and set pieces). If it wasn't using the metal gear IP no one would remember the game.
It's true I would never play a game like that divorced of its style, but the same would also be true of Devil May Cry and Bayonetta.

ScarredBushido

Liturgist
i heard bayo3 wasnt as well received as 2 n 1. has a annoying punk female character who acts like those western girl boss types. also the way the story ending some ppl didnt like.

i gotta finish it to form my own opinion tho

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom