Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Historical Revisionism in Video Game and it's consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

One of my favorites. Great ground lock reticle shooter, descending from Dragon Spirit, Twinbee and Rayforce as much as from Twin Cobra and Gyrodine. Being a Naomi native, it's from the clean and clear era of middle 3D, and to my eyes looks gorgeous to this day either emulated at 480p with a CRT shader, or at higher resolutions if you're playing one of the later ports. I especially enjoy the excellent pyrotechnics, especially the bomb which harkens back to the seminal Gun Frontier. Game gets very real stage 3 onwards, though already the stage 2 boss is no slouch. Don't be afraid to use your bombs.
Don't forget Metal Black!

Falksi

Arcane
Forgotten Worlds (SEGA Megadrive version)
Make sure to check out the PCE-CD version if you haven't yet. It's a considerable upgrade from the MD version (much better backgrounds, less flicker - although parallax scrolling takes a hit), and the redbook soundtrack is cool, although a matter of preference. Playing it on an actual PCE with the original 2-button controller must have been pretty bad, but fortunately they made a 3-button pad available (it was a pack-in with the game originally) and with emulation it's a non issue.

I have very fond memories of Forgotten Worlds as it was one of the first games I bought on the Genesis in '89. Played it to death.
I've been meaning to check the PCE-CD version out for some time, but one of the things which has held me back is that I've read it's only 1-player, and FW is one of the go-to multi-player games I play with the wife & mates (especially as the standard difficulty setting is such a breeze to allow for their casual gum-thumbs lol).

Still, I really need to get round to playing it for myself for sure!

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Interesting picks. My top 5 shmups for the Mega Drive:

Same! Same! Same!
Kyukyoku Tiger
Slap Fight MD
Thunder Force 4
Elemental Master

Top 10 for the PC Engine:

Salamander
Gradius 2
Detana
Kyukyoku Tiger
Mr. Heli
Soldier Blade
Nexzr
Winds of Thunder
Forgotten Worlds
R-Type

Top 3 for the Super Famicom:

Axelay
Biometal
Scrambled Valkyrie

I haven't played many Super Famicom shmups. For example, I haven't played Area 88, R-Type 3 or Gradius 3, which are much loved.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
There's some serious based gamerness going off here, proving just how mint the SHMUP community is.

No system prejudice, no petty low-level POV bias on franchises, just a desire to try, play, finish and master everything good which the genre has to offer.

Compare that to fags who argue over which is the best Mario game constantly, and it shows why SHMUPs truly a a prestigious genre.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I didn't have the luxury when I got into the genre, but these days there are nice video 1CC guides, where you can pick up on the way you need to approach these games. It's definitely worth watching one or two as a beginner to get the mindset, even if it's for a game you won't play any time soon.
Watching a video guide on how to 1cc totally removes the point of 1ccing a game. They're generally pretty simple games where the key is learning how to avoid things and if you're using a youtube guide to do it you're removing a huge element in 1ccing IMO. I generally don't consider 1ccing an arcade game to be worth it, but the ones I do I would mock any one using a guide like this. It's basically cheating instead of finding your own solutions.
You're an incredibly retarded twat, it's simply amazing how fucking wrong you are 100% of the time. Every single one of your posts from this thread should be Retardo'ed for posterity. It's uncanny, actually.
I don't even remember what game you're mad at me for not liking lol. Get over it.

I don't think you should use youtube to learn how to play a game. The learning experience is important and following a guide to learn the exploits devalues any sort of thing you achieved. It's no different from watching a full play through of Dark souls before you play the game yourself. You're cheating.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
There's nothing wrong with players sharing tips and strategies with one another. These aren't spoilers for RPG quests to get the best loot or puzzle solutions for a Zelda game. They're approaches that have worked for one player, that may not work for another. Shmup strats are, except in some obvious cases like speed kills that you're likely to discover yourself with just a modicum of save state mucking around, the least universal things. For example one player might suggest bombing a particular phase of a boss they think is difficult, but maybe you've practiced that boss to death and would rather use the bomb somewhere in the next stage, which for them is so breezy they don't even know how to explain what they do to clear it.

This applies to other controlled chaos action genres like bmups.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I don't think you should use youtube to learn how to play a game.
didn't you make another thread saying you use youtube on a daily basis to find the locations of items etc.?

if you gonna play the retard, decide on a shtick and stick to it and don't be all over the place

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
There's nothing wrong with players sharing tips and strategies with one another. These aren't spoilers for RPG quests to get the best loot or puzzle solutions for a Zelda game. They're approaches that have worked for one player, that may not work for another. Shmup strats are, except in some obvious cases like speed kills that you're likely to discover yourself with just a modicum of save state mucking around, the least universal things. For example one player might suggest bombing a particular phase of a boss they think is difficult, but maybe you've practiced that boss to death and would rather use the bomb somewhere in the next stage, which for them is so breezy they don't even know how to explain what they do to clear it.

This applies to other controlled chaos action genres like bmups.
Using save states is cheating too. If you have to save scum you're not doing it legit. Learn the game by playing it properly.
I don't think you should use youtube to learn how to play a game.
didn't you make another thread saying you use youtube on a daily basis to find the locations of items etc.?

if you gonna play the retard, decide on a shtick and stick to it and don't be all over the place
If you can't tell the difference between watching a strategy guide VS looking up where to find a specific weapon in a game as large as Elden ring then I can't help you Vic. A 30 minute coin op and a 100 hour ARPG are not the same thing at all. It's like how you have to use a guide to find a planet with anything on it in Starfield.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
If you can't tell the difference between watching a strategy guide VS looking up where to find a specific weapon in a game as large as Elden ring then I can't help you Vic. A 30 minute coin op and a 100 hour ARPG are not the same thing at all. It's like how you have to use a guide to find a planet with anything on it in Starfield.
Exploration and questing is a skill too. And if you wanna 1cc a game you will spend a lot of time on it too.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Exploration and questing is a skill too. And if you wanna 1cc a game you will spend a lot of time on it too.
Ah yes, the "skill" of wanting a weapon with an 8% drop chance and not knowing if the enemy can even drop their equipment or not.

Viata

Arcane
I don't watch guides like the one posted above. I can understand people that does that and I have no problem with that, I enjoy finding new things out by myself, but I also like the idea of sharing tips and strategies with one another and, in fact, is also one of the reasons we are even talking in this very forum, after all. Sometimes I watch people doing 1CC because I love to watch high level shmup players playing and yes, one could argue that it's the same as watching a guide and I'll not argue with that, but a niche genre like shmup is not easy to find people to talk to because most of faggots these days use fucking discord and that sucks.
Still, just like the guide, just because you watched someone doing 1CC, it is far from being able to do that yourself. Btw, I also don't use save states, I just enjoying doing the whole thing again instead of just trying to get one part right, and again, I have no problem with people that uses it for training.
Everyone is free to do whatever they want, because at the end of the day the objective is to do 1CC, doesn't matter what you used to get ready for that. Only a newbie would think you could easily imitate someone because you watched him or repeat exactly how you did during those save states when you are serious to do 1CC, it still requires skill and there's no cheating for that. A single mistake can fuck up all your 1CC (many areas in Gradius, if you die once it's the same as getting a game over for example, although I'd argue that recovering from a death is one of the best thing in games like Gradius) and there is no save state training or watching a guide that will save you from that.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Compare that to fags who argue over which is the best Mario game constantly,

Which would be fine except they never pick the right one.

Mario_paint_box.jpg

Machocruz

Arcane
I plan on having a Summer of Shmup. Since I haven't played one in over a decade and am rusty as hell, I'll be starting with some games that are oft recommended as easier. I have Space Megaforce/Super Aleste, Blazing Star, and Batsugun Special lined up for that. I'd also like to get to Gradius Gaiden, Progear, Thunderforce 3, Darius Gaiden, Raiden Fighters Jet, Battle Garegga. But the first three will probably be enough for a season if I take them seriously. I've bought Ikaruga twice, but it doesn't hold my attention outside of its aesthetic.

No it's not, you're just putting your perception of arcades as the norm, which it isn't.

Here's a UK arcade early 80's, pretty packed out and it was very often...

0ook3X2.jpg

Just because your area wasn't doesn't mean others weren't. You could barely get on machines in places like Skegness and Blackpool during peak seasons. My mates dad ran a roller disco with an arcade section too, and he's always said it was his single most profitable part of the business.
Maybe it was because I was in the suburbs of a major metropolitan area, but it was an embarrassment of riches in the 80s and early to mid 90s. Within half an hours drive time we had Showbiz Pizza, Chuck E Cheese, Enchanted Castle, Funland, Par King miniature golf course, Haunted Trail mini-golf, North Pier mall arcade, Super Just Games ( a big Capcom oriented arcade with all their latest cabinets), Fun Zone, Aladdin's Castle, Dennis's Place, Galaxy World (went there the day SF3 came out and some guy from EGM was dominating with Alex). And those are just the one's I got to go to, there were numerous bowling allies that had small arcades in them, but I was never into bowling.

I don't remember if they were ever as packed as that picture, but there's a reason it was nice to go during odd hours. And I never claimed they were jumping all the time, I said it was a good time, a lot of competition among game makers, varied demographic attendance, etc. Within the context of video game culture itself, I'd say it was a thriving or healthy branch. Of course, when you can have Soul Calibur at home and it looks and sounds better than the arcade, it's only a matter of time before the sun sets. But considering the low-tier dreck that makes it on these lists, the large absence of arcade/arcade-type games is suspect. Shadow Over Mystara shits on Banjo all day, every day.

Vic

Savant
Ah yes, the "skill" of wanting a weapon with an 8% drop chance and not knowing if the enemy can even drop their equipment or not.
what do you mean? Other people have figured this stuff out on their own and then shared it with the community. Looking up info like this isn't different from looking up how to play a difficult section in a skill based game.

stop being a retard, I'm sorry for your mother, even tho she dumped you in the trash, where you obviously belong, after popping you out behind some bar somewhere

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
what do you mean? Other people have figured this stuff out on their own and then shared it with the community. Looking up info like this isn't different from looking up how to play a difficult section in a skill based game.
I'm sorry Vic, you're too retarded to understand the difference between looking up how to beat an enemy and looking up to see if an enemy can drop it's equipment because most souls enemies don't drop their equipment or have low chances to do so. Please boot up Starfield and spend some time in a world designed for people with your IQ. You will be happier there.

Vic

Savant
I'm sorry Vic, you're too retarded to understand the difference between looking up how to beat an enemy and looking up to see if an enemy can drop it's equipment because most souls enemies don't drop their equipment or have low chances to do so. Please boot up Starfield and spend some time in a world designed for people with your IQ. You will be happier there.
if you suck too much to figure out where to get an item on your own maybe you don't deserve it, ever thought about that dumbass

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
if you suck too much to figure out where to get an item on your own maybe you don't deserve it, ever thought about that dumbass
Okay Vic, you got me. It's my fault there are enemies like the Dominula Celebrants don't drop their equipment but you can find it on a corpse instead. I should have known killing an enemy over and over again wouldn't net me their weapon. Except for the ones it does but they have a very low drop rate. It's my fault for having no way to know the exact same enemy in 2 different places have totally different equipment drop rates like the dumbling guys in Mogh's palace and the township. I am clearly at fault here and it is in no way a design flaw.

Now can we get back on topic instead of you hugging my nutsack cause you're upset Starfield didn't hold your attention and you drove everyone out of the thread by being Todd's favourite Jew?

Vic

Savant
Now can we get back on topic instead of you hugging my nutsack cause you're upset Starfield didn't hold your attention and you drove everyone out of the thread by being Todd's favourite Jew?
the topic is you suck, you're a retard, you don't contribute anything to the discussion and there's not a single person on this site who is dumb enough to agree with what you say

Okay Vic, you got me. It's my fault there are enemies like the Dominula Celebrants don't drop their equipment but you can find it on a corpse instead. I should have known killing an enemy over and over again wouldn't net me their weapon. Except for the ones it does but they have a very low drop rate. It's my fault for having no way to know the exact same enemy in 2 different places have totally different equipment drop rates like the dumbling guys in Mogh's palace and the township. I am clearly at fault here and it is in no way a design flaw.
dude, get a life. yes it's your fucking fault because other people figured that shit out, so if you look up that info you're taking a shortcut, nothing wrong with that, but it's no different from looking at how somebody plays a level in an action game. these people invested a lot of time to figure stuff out about the game, and here you are, taking their info for granted with a smug smile on your fat face and calling other people out who watch highly skilled shmup gameplay.

yet, every argument against you gets twisted around and yada yada, it doesn't matter how many alts you make nothing can fix your brain damage

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Using save states is cheating too. If you have to save scum you're not doing it legit. Learn the game by playing it properly.
Almost every accepted world record score holder since the mid 90s has used save states for practice.

Are they all cheaters according to you?

Today save states are a standard feature for any modern port e.g. any of the M2 shot triggers releases or Hamster arcade archives releases will have save states, at least as far as I can glean from watching or reading reviews of these ports -- I just emulate myself.

Outside of save states, another trend in modern ports has been the display of "widgets", enabled by default, which reveal game state information invisible to players in the arcades e.g. current rank value, item drop order, remaining HP of last object shot, or the last N items collected and so on, which players would have to keep track of themselves otherwise.

Going further back to since the mid 90s sometime, ports have included stage, area (including boss), and rank select in a practice menu, which are basically save states the player didn't save themselves.

Is everyone who has played a port since end of the 16-bit era for practice a cheater too?

Even PCB originals sometimes have debug features for operators or developers which will have e.g. a stage select. Yagawa games are particularly known for their rich "special modes" which almost every player of these games makes use of.

Is everyone who uses the debug features on a PCB for practice a cheater too?

Good thing we have you to invalidate how people play a genre you do not yourself play and invalidate almost all competitive play to date.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom