Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Historical Revisionism in Video Game and it's consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
With the rise of the global internet we've seen media outlets and youtubers able to fudge history in ways that paint a false narrative of the past. Games like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger were commercial flops made for niche markets and are held up as giants of the SNES library. Nintendo's infamous gaming crash only applied to 1 regional market while the rest of the world was playing the Master System long into the PS2's line span. Commodore, DOS and Amiga history has been all but invalidated where anything not called Doom is unknown and a novelty for Twitch streamers to play when GoG releases it. The best game ever is Mario 64, despite the best game ever arguments on GameFAQS during that generation's life span were always between Zelda : Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7 and Mario 64 getting almost no attention until cross dressing losers started to speedrun it. Banjo Kazooie sold 3 million copies and was upstaged by Croc in magazine coverage and popularity in many regional markets but no one talks about Croc any more while youtube is full of fat fucks getting Jiggy with it.

These are a few examples of revisionism and how the current zeitgeist around retro gaming has been warped through badly researched videos and losers with entire rooms dedicated to NES games because their Dad left one day and never came back. How much of our current history do you think is accurate and what are your personal stories of history now forgotten or warped? Is Nintendo a saviour of the gaymen market or did they fuck up everything so hard they're lucky the industry survived at all? Do you remember the Commodore 64 and played many of the largest game library of any platform ever? Do you just want to say how annoying NES fanboys are and laugh at the constantly flickering sprites other platforms didn't suffer from? Do you want to defend blowing cartridges as a benefit over Atari ones just working? Do you believe ET is the worst game ever because AVGN said so? Lets argue it out and laugh at the manchildren going Bing bing wahoo!

Athena

Educated
I'm just fucking sick of Nintendo and all of its religious zealots. Can't go to any retro board without people circlejerking themselves to death all over Mario and Zelda, rarely discussing anything else. Try discussing games with actual historical significance like OutRun, Street Fighter II or Wizardry and you'll be laughed at because they're not F-Zero, Smash Bros and Paper Mario respectively. They're worse than the entire collective of Applefags and won't stop until they've whitewashed the entire written history of video games to make it look like only Nintendo mattered in the past. They're also the same people who call old games (not released in Nintendo systems) clunky, unplayable, badly aged because they don't play like their kids' games and that upsets them.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Commodore, DOS and Amiga history has been all but invalidated where anything not called Doom is unknown
These are connected. Doom pretty much changed the way PC gaming worked until then. Yes, Wolf3d came earlier and was successful, but Doom triggered gigantic mania and this mania is what caused subsequent cRPG(and adventure game!) decline, which is something few people notice - we like to blame consolisation for it, but the first real issues started popping off in the early to mid 1990's, consolitis only finished the job.

Lemming42

Arcane
Isn't this just how all mediums work? You have things that are smash hits in their day and are (rightly or wrongly) completely forgotten by history, and shit that nobody cares about on release that becomes a canonised classic decades later.

El Presidente

Arcane
Agreed 100%. While this doesn't affect us here that much since we lived through it all, imagine for instance being a teenager today that starts developing a taste for the good oldies, either by being introduced to them by a :obviously: relative or by own interest, imagine how ridiculous it must be to navigate through millions of internet bullshitters and mongoloid trannies painting these absurd pictures of the past when you weren't there experiencing it first-hand. Essentially you have to be lucky to have non-retards guiding you, or just brute force your way through the systems' libraries without any guidance.

One of the biggest examples of that revisionism is the SNES x Genesis console wars. By far the most fun system wars we ever had when it comes to consoles, fierce to the last title, they were two behemoths with amazing, all encompassing libraries. If you go by most of today's content creators though, they all paint this 100% unilateral stomp where the SNES destroyed the Genesis to shreds and all Genesis fans are either crybaby retards or they just defend the Genesis ironically, almost as a meme to troll around and keep the war alive, because "no one in their right mind would pick the Genesis over the SNES". They also paint the Genesis as this inferior piece of hardware with a silly sound chip that had to resort to lies and attacks in their ads to stand any chance against the holy SNES. Meanwhile the SNES is painted pretty much as the default go-to 16-bit console, end of story, no questions asked.

Spot on about the N64 too. Youtubers now paint this picture in which everyone was playing either Mario 64 or Banjo back in the day, with the odd weirdo owning "the pervert squirrel game", conveniently sweeping the thousands-long PSX library under the rug for no reason, not to mention the PC scene which was immense (and didn't consist solely of Half-Life).

Machocruz

Arcane
I like NES and SNES, but...

Nintendofags eat their own, too. Zelda 2 is hated, terribad black sheep (was a hit and well received when it came out), Wind Waker is top tier series entry that they now claim they always loved (in reality response was more critical and lukewarm).

Another one: Super Metroid controls are "clunky". No dummy they are perfectly responsive like all Nintendo games back then and also serve the purpose of conveying that you are in a heavy metal suit on a planet with different gravity. Now Samus is a space ninja in lycra. More agile, sure, but that doesn't mean SM is clunky.

But consolefags in general are weebs that don't know any real history and how a lot of the games and genres they love come from the west. The games media aid and abet them to by also sweeping large swathes of the hobby into the dustbin of history.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Wind Waker was also hated because until then we only had a pretty good tech demo of Link fighting Ganondorf and made people think the new Zelda game would have more realistic graphics.

El Presidente

Arcane
Games like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger were commercial flops made for niche markets and are held up as giants of the SNES library.
Another SNES example would be Actraiser, I've seen more than a few content creators pretending that game was massive and that everyone was talking about it back then. I'm pretty sure most people only get to know and play it on ZSNES years later.

On the other hand, you have stuff like Abuse:

and Skyroads:

Just to name 2 examples, which were pretty popular back then alongside Jazz Jackrabbit and other PC games, yet they've been totally erased from history.

Machocruz

Arcane
Actraiser was well reviewed, but not one of the more talked about games at the time. The cool guys were Contra 3, Super Castlevania, Mario World, LttP, SM, MMX, EA sports games, etc.

Athena

Educated
Super Castlevania
Speaking of which, I'd add this recent revisionist push to paint Super Castlevania IV as some sort of black sheep of the series instead of the popular and beloved entry it was, a sentiment mostly started by Egoraptor's negative review. Apparently this is the only series where adding extra abilities (like it was normal in 8-bit to 16-bit sequels) became a negative. Now all kinds of NPC parrot the tired argument of "hurr durr 8-way whip ruins Castlevania!".

Same shit with all "Sonic was never good" opinions out there. All of them started by YouTubers with a grudge. Most of the time these content creators just don't believe the bullshit they sprout and just pick controversial instances that garner them some notoriety which without fail are confused as legit views by idiots who then parrot them on the internet.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Super Castlevania
Speaking of which, I'd add this recent revisionist push to paint Super Castlevania IV as some sort of black sheep of the series instead of the popular and beloved entry it was, a sentiment mostly started by Egoraptor's negative review. Apparently this is the only series where adding extra abilities (like it was normal in 8-bit to 16-bit sequels) became a negative. Now all kinds of NPC parrot the tired argument of "hurr durr 8-way whip ruins Castlevania!".

Same shit with all "Sonic was never good" opinions out there. All of them started by YouTubers with a grudge. Most of the time these content creators just don't believe the bullshit they sprout and just pick controversial instances that garner them some notoriety which without fail are confused as legit views by idiots who then parrot them on the internet.
Egoraptor argued the 8-way whip broke Castlevania 4 yet he gave up on the game during the Frankenstein level because it was too hard.

Lol

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
oh it's another Nintendo vs SEGA thread

I never had a SEGA console and didn't anybody who did. All my friends had NES/SNES/N64/GameBoys until the PlayStation became wildly popular.

Going back to the SEGA library now I don't really like them either as much as Nintendo's smash hits.

Games like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger were commercial flops made for niche markets and are held up as giants of the SNES library.
That's just your own revisionism at work, SEGA fanboy.

The game was a best-seller in Japan,[134] where two million copies were sold in only two months.[135] It ended the year as the second best-selling game of 1995 in Japan, below Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation.[5] Chrono Trigger was also met with substantial success upon release in North America, and its re-release on the PlayStation as part of the Final Fantasy Chronicles package topped the NPD TRSTS PlayStation sales charts for over six weeks.

Athena

Educated
That's just your own revisionism at work, SEGA fanboy. Chrono Trigger was the second best-selling game of 1995 in Japan,[5] and shipped 2.65 million copies worldwide by March 2003.
Over two million of those copies were sold in Japan. The 2.65 million figure also includes the PS1 version. While the original point is factually incorrect (it can't be classified as a flop), its actual popularity in the West is vastly overstated. Mostly, though, the problem lies with the terminally online crowd flocking to certain types of games while ignoring/dismissing others that were wildly popular. Basically, most of what you see online are narratives built by losers.

Did you know that NBA Jam has made over 2 billion US dollars?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
That's just your own revisionism at work, SEGA fanboy. Chrono Trigger was the second best-selling game of 1995 in Japan,[5] and shipped 2.65 million copies worldwide by March 2003.
Over two million of those copies were sold in Japan. The 2.65 million figure also includes the PS1 version. While the original point is factually incorrect (it can't be classified as a flop), its actual popularity in the West is vastly overstated. Mostly, though, the problem lies with the terminally online crowd flocking to certain types of games while ignoring/dismissing others that were wildly popular. Basically, most of what you see online are narratives built by losers.

Did you know that NBA Jam has made over 2 billion US dollars?

It was still one of the most sold SNES games. #17 on this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_video_games

far from a flop and one of the best JRPGs ever made. THE best JRPG according to this undisputed queen here.

Machocruz

Arcane

I was aware of the whip 8-way whip meme, but I've also seen a lot of people saying it's the best in the series, which is going too far the other way, imo. But it proves your point, it was not considered a black sheep or unpopular. Singling out a single feature is bad game analysis. What about enemy placement, enemy volume, damage output, etc. and how all things work together compared to the harder CVs?

Sonic is weird. There is a HUGE amount of adoration out there, "this defined my childhood" level, cult passion. People still hold out hope that the 3D ones will be as good as 2 or whatever. But the hate was around back in the 16 bit days, Mario fans downplaying it because it had less power ups or some shit. A tiresome drama.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
One of the biggest examples of that revisionism is the SNES x Genesis console wars. By far the most fun system wars we ever had when it comes to consoles, fierce to the last title, they were two behemoths with amazing, all encompassing libraries. If you go by most of today's content creators though, they all paint this 100% unilateral stomp where the SNES destroyed the Genesis to shreds and all Genesis fans are either crybaby retards or they just defend the Genesis ironically, almost as a meme to troll around and keep the war alive, because "no one in their right mind would pick the Genesis over the SNES". They also paint the Genesis as this inferior piece of hardware with a silly sound chip that had to resort to lies and attacks in their ads to stand any chance against the holy SNES. Meanwhile the SNES is painted pretty much as the default go-to 16-bit console, end of story, no questions asked.
I don't get the console war stuff. If I found out you had a console I didn't I wanted to play it. I made friends with people to play their games and borrow from each other. I usually had 1 console per generation early on and then got the "rivals" when they were being sold second hand towards the end of the life cycle. I loved borrow a friend's Lynx and going round places to play PC games. I remember my cousin putting Dune 2 on for me and having no idea WTF I was doing.
Super Metroid controls are "clunky".
I find SM's controls to be clunky. Doing the spin jumps can be awkward and there's a few other places it's awkward.
Wind Waker even lost GOTY to Prince of Persia Sands of Time in most magazines back then. :lol: I vividly remember that.
PoP was a huge series for a while but mostly forgotten. Wind waker got hit hard by being at the tail end of the cell shade fad.

Sonic peaked at Sonic 2 but almost none of the games are unplayably bad. Forces and maybe 06 cross the line but nothing else is terrible. I didn't especially entire Frontier but I could see how people would. Sonic has always been a mid-tier game you padded your library out with and enjoyed spending a weekend playing through. Sonic adventure 1 is still something special and the original 2D sonics are all enjoyable and better/worse depending on your platformer preferences.
That's just your own revisionism at work, SEGA fanboy.
Oh great it's the bethesda faggot being a nintoddler. I grew up on the gameboy faggot. I've owned every console Nintendo ever released except the Virtual boy.

Also you're wrong. Chrono Trigger sold 2 million copies in Japan. WORLD WIDE it wasn't until the Steam release in broke the 300,000 units sold barrier. It solid 5 million copies total over it's life span and the vast majority of those are on Android. So it did flop on it's original platform and didn't do much better on the PS1 while bundled with a Final fantasy during the peak of FF mania.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Another SNES example would be Actraiser, I've seen more than a few content creators pretending that game was massive and that everyone was talking about it back then. I'm pretty sure most people only get to know and play it on ZSNES years later.

On the other hand, you have stuff like Abuse:

and Skyroads:

Just to name 2 examples, which were pretty popular back then alongside Jazz Jackrabbit and other PC games, yet they've been totally erased from history.

I forgot skyroads existed until I found a guy speed running it on twitch and it all came flooding back to me. Lucas art's adventure games weren't THAT big either but they're held up as legendary things now. I remember Broken Sword being more popular and most people's experience of Maniac mansion was fucking around for ten minutes and never making a single bit of progress.

Does any one talk about the CD based encyclopedias any more? Blew my mind watching a thumb nail video on some random topic I was looking up. You would jump around trying to find new videos to watch, the topic didn't matter.

And Joysticks. Why does no one remember fucking joysticks!? They were super common on PCs and now they're just gone.

far from a flop and one of the best JRPGs ever made. THE best JRPG according to this undisputed queen here.
Thank you for proving this topic is needed because stupid revisionists like you. Chrono Trigger flopped IN THE WEST. No one gives a flying fuck what gooks were buying and playing. We care about the actual experiences of English speakers that are being rewritten by faggots like you. If we're talking pure sales numbers than Chrono Trigger is a fucking mobile game.

Machocruz

Arcane
I find SM's controls to be clunky. Doing the spin jumps can be awkward and there's a few other places it's awkward.
I don't feel the same, but being able to explain how/why something is [adjective] is the difference between informed critique, which I can respect, and regurgitated memes. Memers can't explain what is actually going on in a game, they only have adjectives they picked up from some review or streamer or in comments. With history its the same, they don't know the facts so they just repeat memes that support their agenda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom