Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 3 - final chapter of the nu-Hitman trilogy - now available on Steam

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
What would be really fantastic is if they ever brought out modding / map making tools, in case they don't keep on releasing their own maps.

It doesn't seem very likely though.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I wonder if this'll have the same Animatic style for cutscenes or if they got a surrogate studio to do it. The loss of Square Enix's CGI-forge was one of the biggest missteps in quality Season 2 had.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
What would be really fantastic is if they ever brought out modding / map making tools, in case they don't keep on releasing their own maps.

It doesn't seem very likely though.
Not as long as they keep supporting the User-made contracts thing they've got. An update lettin' people place NPCs and Props within existing maps would be more likely.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I wonder if this'll have the same Animatic style for cutscenes or if they got a surrogate studio to do it. The loss of Square Enix's CGI-forge was one of the biggest missteps in quality Season 2 had.
They truly did a fantastic job.

Not as as varied, but still stylish.
I can live with the Motion Comic cutscenes, but of all of Season 2's wierd little growing pains, the substitution of new stuff with pink stickers needs to be ironed out the most. It's like all the Season 2 unlocks came from an antique store.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The cutscenes are just about the lowest priority thing I can think of, if I spend 100 hours on the game then probably 15 minutes of that is watching the videos and then I will skip them every time, I could give two fucks if they are still or motion, gameplay is king.

Another thing I hope to see is they CUT SNIPER MISSIONS. Dont waste resources and cool maps (hello Siberia) on stupid ass sniper missions, instead I would love to see them integrate sniper challenges into the real missions. Have dedicated sniping perches and set up ways to do SA sniping.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hitman 2 cutscenes were terrible, but the overarching narrative is also kind of horrible. People play it for the assassination sandbox, end of story. They should just do in-engine briefing openers and that's it IMO.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
but the overarching narrative is also kind of horrible.

Yep. Its drivel. Bla bla bla Illuminati bla bla bla...

People play it for the assassination sandbox, end of story.

YES! I would be 100% fine with the story being: here is mission, you are Hitman, go do mission. What I DO like about playing the missions is the internal world building they do with characters connected between missions, eg. the fashion model that happens to look like 47, then later the guy that is getting face surgery to look like the guy that looks like 47. That stuff is neat and has absolutely no connection to the herp derp Templar Man Bad stuff.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this actually 3 or just season 3 ?
I remember Hitman 2 was just H1 with extra scenarios
There was a major update on the graphics engine, although all the H1 maps they later updated to run in H2, looked worse than they did in H1. The H2 maps though were genuinely improved.

Are the new Hitman games actually good?

I liked the old Hitman games like Silent Assassin, Contracts and Blood Money. Absolution was meh and I assumed the IP was going to get Thief'd.
I think that the new trilogy improves and expands the gameplay in every way, and I have only two complaints re production values - Jesper Kyd not being contracted, and no native languages as in the old games.
In terms of gameplay, the new missions are more complex, and the difficulty is more varied. The old Hitmans could have some very difficult missions, whereas in the new ones each mission could go very simple or very difficult, depending on what constraints the player puts on himself, with or without the game aiding him in putting the constraints.

Hitman 2 cutscenes were terrible, but the overarching narrative is also kind of horrible. People play it for the assassination sandbox, end of story. They should just do in-engine briefing openers and that's it IMO.
I've said this in the Hitman 2016 thread, this game is starting to reach the limitations imposed by its "story". I'd rather IO make assassination games touching on recent real-life events, like Russian mob killings, or Jeffrey Epstein, where the personality and character of the assassin is of no importance at all. Ironically 47 who was supposed to be a blank slate is weighing down the game with his whole story right now. I'd also like historical missions which reproduce with some artistic liberties real-life assassinations from past periods, like the Cold War. This kind of game in general could go into so much more interesting places than the B-movie plot and story it started parodying but seems to be taking more and more seriously.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've said this in the Hitman 2016 thread, this game is starting to reach the limitations imposed by its "story". I'd rather IO make assassination games touching on recent real-life events, like Russian mob killings, or Jeffrey Epstein, where the personality and character of the assassin is of no importance at all. Ironically 47 who was supposed to be a blank slate is weighing down the game with his whole story right now. I'd also like historical missions which reproduce with some artistic liberties real-life assassinations from past periods, like the Cold War. This kind of game in general could go into so much more interesting places than the B-movie plot and story it started parodying but seems to be taking more and more seriously.

Absolutely. The game has good stories in it, but they're all contained within the levels. The Sapienza mission with the cool virus idea and all the stories you learn about the characters and company within the mission... great stuff. Since the end of that season though the missions have been getting more and more tied in with the main plot no one cares about, and it's hurting how well they work as sandboxes. The castle level is great but all the stuff with the Constant and your brother talking to you and whatnot... blah.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Ironically 47 who was supposed to be a blank slate is weighing down the game with his whole story right now.
The long-lost brother plot is weird and unnecessary and is making a similar mistake to Absolution in trying to characterize a character whose entire appeal is being a vector for gameplay. Thankfully 47's character is another thing done better in the missions, confronting Cross with the recording and poisoning Knox with the IV being the better examples. And the little Web of Intrigue they have going with call-backs, references and foreshadowings to events, characters, companies and locations within the missions themselves is more compelling to dig into than anything in the metaplot.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just want a game about complex heists or killings which I can pull off, or investigate them, NOT a game about the deep and infinitely interesting character of the persons who are doing the heists, killings or investigations.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
You know, thinking about it I don't quite understand why they ever tried to make a film franchise. It would fit much better as a TV series / mini-series, with each episode self-containing a mission.

Agreed, Agent 47 should be portrayed like the killer from a horror/slasher movie. Dont ever give him much backstory or motivation, he just does his thing coldly and silently. The main "character" could be the cop or detective or whoever that is trying to track him down and has to keep analyzing the scenes of his assassinations. Its funny as the game is falling into the trap of the movies where they feel the need to create this cinematic back story and character connections to 47. Just stop. 47 should be Michael Myers or Jason. He needs no motivation or back story beyond the original game, he was created and programmed to assassinate. He should be an unstoppable force of nature, like the Judge from Blood Meridian, otherwise you run the risk of turning him into a quirky bald dude with a bunch of sidekicks.

I would also love to see a short movie/extended TV special with minimal to no story and the entire thing is just the setup and then unfolding of one assassination, basically take any of the game missions and then create the most complex way you can beat the mission. Then its just a big rube goldberg machine with Agent 47 having no dialogue except for the incidental stuff if he is in a disguise. I think done properly this could be great, chances of it ever happening are zero, vidya game movies are where creativity goes to die.

I think they should go again for episodic release. I know, very unpopular opinion, but in this case it gives players a reason to really do all things in a mission and master them. I was late to the party anyways and played Hitman 2 with Legacy Pack but I still am going through every mission to master it as much as possible and only then move to next one.

What they should not do is putting idiotic and useless challenges. Tuppence a wish anyone? Feeding hippo with all 3 targets in Santa Fortuna? Fuck that, seriously. Whoever thought that would be good idea and better idea of a filler than Escalations or Special Assignments should be fired. It cured my OCD, I am not even trying to do all the challenges anymore after seeing some walkthroughs where it just feels like a chore.

Couple of tweaks, some better animations and more content. All it needs, really. Game is solid.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I think they should go again for episodic release. I know, very unpopular opinion, but in this case it gives players a reason to really do all things in a mission and master them. I was late to the party anyways and played Hitman 2 with Legacy Pack but I still am going through every mission to master it as much as possible and only then move to next one.

What they should not do is putting idiotic and useless challenges. Tuppence a wish anyone? Feeding hippo with all 3 targets in Santa Fortuna? Fuck that, seriously. Whoever thought that would be good idea and better idea of a filler than Escalations or Special Assignments should be fired. It cured my OCD, I am not even trying to do all the challenges anymore after seeing some walkthroughs where it just feels like a chore.

Couple of tweaks, some better animations and more content. All it needs, really. Game is solid.
They actually removed quite a few achievements that people hated.

Ghulgothas

Arcane

All those annoying challenges are something that should disappear along with the episodic releases.

Think about it, when everything is released piecemeal there’s a Standard Content Amount each of them needs to have to not feel like a gyp. With that gone there’s less need to stuff with them with arbitrary filler, resulting in more variable missions. And more feasible, organic challenges than endurance tests.

I guess it makes sense if you say it that way. Alright, good point. I was looking at it more from a perspective how Sapienza is considered classic while there is not much talk about levels of 2.

Now to talk about actual features (please do not spoil anything I am only half-way in Mumbai) that could be added:
- Dynamic events - like Miami having an actual race and target circumstances changing - could be dynamic weather changing NPC's behavior, or even mission on a train/plane and stopping/arriving

- More modular difficulties - for example limiting inventory, limiting saves, etc. for added challenge and/or tailoring your own

- More detective work - like figuring out Maelstrom in Mumbai; or just going with the story missions without any guides (which is almost impossible sometimes)

- More indirect kills - again, Kashmirian in Mumbai comes to mind; or surgeon in Patient Zero

- Interconnected targets/levels - I find maps where targets can meet each other and do not stay in their own little areas to be better designed and offer more kill opportunities

- Elusive Targets countdown only when playing the game - there would be prompt in-game that you have this much in-game time to eliminate Elusive Target - that way you still have it Elusive but also you do not miss it because of real life/internet connection/whatever. You could only get next one after you beat this one. Other rules can stay the same (like killing him only once, no saves etc.)

- C&C - Depending on which way and what would you destroy/use/do in previous mission, next mission would slightly change (this is already done by for example TV anchor in Mumbai telling about killings of Columbia's targets, but that is not actual C&C) - for example you would kill a target before he calls someone, in next mission that someone would be suspicious and instead by himself would use a doppelganger to confuse the assassin. It could be small things like this. Would make for great replayability of the whole campaign.

- DLC / Bonus mission idea - historic kills (like the Prologue ones but with actual time-period setting) - cold-war era, WWII, whatever

- (Personal taste) Non-killing targets - I may be in minority but I would really enjoyed Sapienza when it would be just to destroy the virus - that can already be done through contracts. This is related to point no. 3.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is the one game where I think the episodic model works really well. They were disappointed with sales though as most people waited for the full game, so it is what it is. I'm just happy to have 5-8 more levels of Hitman.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
- Interconnected targets/levels - I find maps where targets can meet each other and do not stay in their own little areas to be better designed and offer more kill opportunities

This ties into level design, clearly a lot of people like the 'tight' levels better as the map feels more cohesive and allows for these target interactions. You can still do it on a large map as in San Fortuna where you can get two targets together for the statue unveiling. I think if they continue to make big sprawling maps they MUST setup more of these opportunities with targets interacting and moving around the whole map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom