Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I like how, of all these things, the one to mention on the first spot is trump supporting :lol: Then again, open hostility towards children is probably the one unique trait of modern kwan "culture".

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Jaina%20Gray.jpg

b44e3f279c5b8c873a01aee4bf6aeac31e73ae93819c1df8cef9bdbdc6b6967f,w400.jpg

wait a minute
didn't they said they're not gonna review it?
Still going for clicks'n'views?

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
It starts to be annoying that this is currently being parroted. Rowling may not have many fans in the Codex but the fact is the people who made this game couldn't even keep it up with the fairly straightforward world she made. I watched an hour of gameplay or so to see a bit of what the game was up to, and just from the top of my head:

- In the beginning of the game 2 people are killed. In matter of minutes later the characters who see these people getting killed, which includes the protagonist, acts like nothing happened and that's like everyday occurrence. For those who don't know, the world of Harry Potter is a fairly civilized, people don't get routinely killed and, in the books, not many people die, and every time it happens characters don't take it lightly, precisely because is not common.

- Main character travels to a place and is given like 3 spells without he's making anything. No studying, no nothing, just given these spells. It's a bit too little effort for someone that is just recently joining Hogwarts.

- There are supposed to be certain restrictions on the magic that students can use outside of school. But the protagonist uses them quite deliberately.

- The teacher who accompanies us does not hesitate to put himself and us in danger. While the teachers at Hogwarts used to take a certain amount of paternal care with the students in dangerous situations.

- At a certain point in the beginning, enemies appear, and without first making an overtly hostile move, our protagonist and the professor draw their wands with the intention of attacking, jumping in a dangerous situation again very quickly. But when these same enemies then show every intention of harming a neutral bystander, the characters do nothing to prevent it.

- Again, little mention of a person being harmed by events. With that would be three people injured or killed just at the beginning.

- One of the sensations that stick with me the most when reading the books or watching the films is the first time the Hogwarts dining room appears. Ever since I was a child, that room has been etched in my mind, both for the food and for how alive it felt (it helps that I'm a hobo who barely eats, so the fact that there was so much food left me dazed). But here you walk into the Hogwarts dining room and... it just doesn't feel as lively.

About the conversation regarding Purebloods and Muggles. Bloodlines DO have some effect on the type of magic characters use. With one or more wizard parents, their offspring will have magical abilities. Whereas when the parents are Muggles, it is very uncertain or unlikely that the children will acquire magical abilities. This also states that wizarding bloodlines take precedence over non-magical bloodlines, so it only takes one wizarding parent for a child to acquire them.

Very simple but quite concrete details which the book respects. Which I think Rowling deserves merit for.
My friend, this take is delusional. You are not criticizing the developers, you are criticizing modern video game logic. This has nothing to do with world coherency or logic.

Of course the protagonist is a mass-murderer that tortures and kills hundreds of people during a full playthrough of Hogwart Legacy.
Of course the protagonist getting a special treatment and blatant favouritism from the teachers is insane and wouldn't happen in real life.

If you actually take a moment to reflect about the gameplay a lot of the protagonist's actions start to seem horrible or even abhorrent, i.e. killing local poachers. Yes, just poachers. They just hunt local animals and it has its own questline. Yes, you can eradicate them with extreme prejudice, and after a heavy fight in which you kill several wizards the protagonist merely quips something like 'Huh, that was hard. I wish others could see it!'. And what you do right after killing the poachers? You run around with your own magical bag in which you poach said animals by trapping them inside as they try to escape, after which you say 'You are safe now :)'. Then you imprison them inside your own magical farm and milk for resources.

This game has a Ludonarrative dissonance the likes of which you can scarcely see in gaming, the blatant contrast between a young 16-year old student who's nice, polite and eager to learn, and a proficient combatant that without a blink casts Avada Kedavra or transmutes his enemies into barrels just to shatter them against other enemies is downright disturbing.

And you are not supposed to take this seriously, because it's a video game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From a sales perspective, it is doing well in Japan. Opening aales in the UK are 80% higher than the Elden Ring opening.

Warner Bros slam dunked it.

Edit: Global top sellers on Steam:

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
From a sales perspective, it is doing well in Japan. Opening aales in the UK are 80% higher than the Elden Ring opening.

I mean Harry Potter is vastly more popular than Fromsoft games.

just

Liturgist
after my $60 purchase of bg3 i swore i would never do it again
but i did it anyway stfu
now im in this weird superposition where i simultaneously support and hurt trannies, did it for mommy hope she retweets my review
im flying around solving dungeon crawler like puzzles as a teenage body type 1, receiving incrementally better color coded loot on every turn
puzzles arent bad or anything, it's just too many of them and they start repeating pretty fast
make a fucking 10 places and give sets of legendary gear or some shit, nooo let's make more than 100s of these so called merlin puzzles & caves but create only like 5 variations
why cant modern devs embrace the fact that sometimes less is more, fucking faggots i swear do they all share the same design document or what
game really wants you to explore but the reward is ALWAYS fucking garbage. id be more happy if they gave me nothing
main quest, you're the chosen one, do some trials(puzzles), kill some oversized things, it's alright i dont hate it
sidequests, fetch(sometimes mass murder) shit for lesbian hags, korean janitors, uppity latinas, ugandan classmates, transexual pub owners, arab potion sellers and hindu amateur astronomers fucking berkeley 2020 legacy
only one i havent encountered is american indian, but im sure someone will turn up along the way
you can be a cunt in some of the sidequests but i doubt they'll affect anything big
although in one of the quest i decided not to return stuff to some bitch and she later randomly commented "you're the same as everyone else" when i run past her. true, im not the same coz im playing as a white male, just kidding she meant i was a bully
anyway, there's an attempt of making some consequences maybe in the ending slides she wont be my friend
combat, you have few sets of 4 spells you can sort into a combo and unleash on the mofo, then roll around like geralt until cooldowns are over and repeat
funny seeing wizard in a rolling simulator, but it later becomes quickdash/teleport simulator which is a little more appropriate for a magic user
if you're into hp universe you would probably appriciate the game more than me coz the details are there
5/10, up to 7 if you really like hp
pirate it or max 10 bucks

Last edited:

S.torch

Liturgist
If you actually take a moment to reflect about the gameplay a lot of the protagonist's actions start to seem horrible or even abhorrent, i.e. killing local poachers. Yes, just poachers. They just hunt local animals and it has its own questline. Yes, you can eradicate them with extreme prejudice, and after a heavy fight in which you kill several wizards the protagonist merely quips something like 'Huh, that was hard. I wish others could see it!'. And what you do right after killing the poachers? You run around with your own magical bag in which you poach said animals by trapping them inside as they try to escape, after which you say 'You are safe now :)'. Then you imprison them inside your own magical farm and milk for resources.

I didn't entirely understand if you were trying to defend the game, or confirming that is an incoherent mess in respect to its source material. Certainly it looks like the latter. +M

Harthwain

Magister

Why both Hogwarts Legacy and Hogwarts Legacy: Digital Deluxe Edition take four spots on the list?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Can't say I give a crap about the source. Does the game play ok for action combat rpg with puzzles andcollectibles. Source? Hah! I give two fucks to know what HP is about.

Is combat solid and satifying for the type of game?

Is sound & music servicable to good?

Is the UI a mess or decent?

Am I railroaded or can I actually "break" the game in ways the designers didn't expect.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, that is an instant trahbin being a fucking kid. Bleh! I'll wait for seeing if it is full modworthy to even ride the seven seas and plunder the booty. Open world oh yipee...
:(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom