Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The main problem as I see it is there is a very decently built overland world to explore and very little reason to do so. All sorts of clever nooks & crannies, puzzles, secrets and the vast majority of what is behind them are cosmetic loot with no functional benefit. That is disappointing AF. The flight model is great though and that 3rd Z axis of freedom feels really good. But again, you have great mobility around a well crafted map that doesn't offer much reason to explore it other than simply for the sake of and some minor rewards.

We must pray to a very different god of rng then, my friend, because the majority of what I loot from any cranny, nook, puzzle, secret, etc. is indeed a piece of gear, potion, or money ":D
I get the cosmetic stuff mostly only from completing challenges.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Dont justify piracy, its not acceptable on any level.

I absolutely do not give a single squirt of piss. :smug:

461.png

Jarmaro

Liturgist
The only situation where Piracy is morally questionable is pirating indie/niche games when you can afford the price without a problem. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with it. If anything buying some games would be often the bad choice. Paying a full price for something like AC: Valhalla or another churned out soul-less product with microtransactions? Spare me.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was waaaay easy.
No difficulty settings?

You can look like a crazy wizard murder hobo, or as a distinguished gentelman of many magical talents.
I want to see those 2 screenshots in the wardrobe screen.
Yes there are diff settings. No, I didn't feel the game much harder on hard, just more tedious. It does seem to be addressed at younger people, and definitely not at power gamers. HP larpers would be the perfect audience.

Here's some clothes. First, daily wear (this look I got around 2h into the game, perfectly unobtrusive so kept it the whole time):
AHlInZL.png

Stylish wizard (lots of possibilities for good style really):
RqLkE99.png

Might have overexagerated with murderhobo look, here's as close as I can get:
Hl7wCwH.png

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Okay, but where's the mod that removes all the niggers from this game?
Would it really be 1800s western England without all the jamaicans?

Could you live with yourself if JK Rowling can only afford two solid gold bathtubs this quarter?
This has been a big talking point from internet slacktivists, but I don't think she is directly benefiting from the game. She got paid a license free for the brand, and indirectly if the game does well she can license the brand out some more, but that's about it.
Just like how buying Spotify Premium doesn't give money to Metallica, so does buying Assassin's Creed: Hogwarts doesn't give much money to lady TERF.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Cp8yJ8e_d.webp

Good game, I like it. Recommend for ppl that like HP world or want another open world game to explore. Combat is fun.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Pro piracy argument: games run better when Deviluvo is removed.
This is the only piracy argument I'll concede. It is shameful that pirates get a better product when denuvo gets removed. However..

The only situation where Piracy is morally questionable is pirating indie/niche games when you can afford the price without a problem. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with it. If anything buying some games would be often the bad choice. Paying a full price for something like AC: Valhalla or another churned out soul-less product with microtransactions? Spare me.
Bro, why are you playing AC Valhalla even for free? Pirates place too much value on saving money but not enough on saving the only currency that actually matters which is time.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There is something self-contradictory about the pro-piracy argument at that level isn't there? If it's so trash you don't want to reward the developers, why play it anyway?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Enabler of what? Because the claim was its white genocide. Trannies aren't white genocide. Asians, blacks, jews, etc, are equally affected by this new fetish/lifestyle/whatever.
Do you believe in trans genocide? Do you believe that buying Hogawrts Legacy is helping Rowling to commit trans genocide?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_genocide
The thing that pissed me off the most from this article is that there is a Genocide convention but no one gets invited to it.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Seems there's a mod out already that offers both lighter AND darker skin tones.

Of course, the urinalists are focusing on the former with only a bare mention of the latter.
Originally the mod only provided lighter skins. Someone requested he provide darker skins too, so he delivered. Like I posted in the thread earlier, he had made mods that improved dark skin textures for Fallout 3/NV, so there was never any kind of racist agenda, just people jumping to conclusions.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Piracy is a moral imperative.
Okay, I'll bite. How is it a moral imperative to use something that someone else created and you legally must pay for it?

And at the very least if you dont believe in the law dont you think the hundred of hours developers spend creating games should be rewarded with people paying for that effort?
Have you seen what they are charging these days?
For 80 bucks you get a buggy, half-made product that's inferior to what they made more than a decade ago in nearly everything except for graphics, complete with a bloated file size and spyware...I mean "anti-piracy measures"
AAA games are a grift. They don't deserve that money.

There is something self-contradictory about the pro-piracy argument at that level isn't there? If it's so trash you don't want to reward the developers, why play it anyway?
I would agree. It's just not worth the bandwidth, time and space usage.
However, I can see some using piracy as a means of protest.
Something like "Your game is shit. I know because I played 100 hours of it, and no, you didn't get a single penny from me motherfucker."

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
I pirate most games for the first playthrough. If they are fun enough to merit a second playthrough, I always buy them. The only exception to this are games where the base game is shit, but mods make it fun. In that case I pirate even for subsequent playthroughs, as I am not returning for what the devs made, but for what the modders did, and those work for free.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Enabler of what? Because the claim was its white genocide. Trannies aren't white genocide. Asians, blacks, jews, etc, are equally affected by this new fetish/lifestyle/whatever.
Do you believe in trans genocide? Do you believe that buying Hogawrts Legacy is helping Rowling to commit trans genocide?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_genocide

I believe that stretching the term "genocide" to cover the victims of what amounts to an ideologically-driven, self-mutilating tulipmania fad is stretching the term beyond usefulness.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I pirate most games for the first playthrough. If they are fun enough to merit a second playthrough, I always buy them. The only exception to this are games where the base game is shit, but mods make it fun. In that case I pirate even for subsequent playthroughs, as I am not returning for what the devs made, but for what the modders did, and those work for free.
Yeah, that's the "traditional" stance, I believe. Using piracy as a means of thoroughly testing a game to see if it's worth it.
Mods are indeed a game changer, no pun intended. It's modern Bethesda's saving grace really, hence why Creation Club is so abhorrent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom