Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
How did they go from "no transgenders in women's bathrooms" to "trans genocide"?
Genocide meant gene-cide. As in, physically removing humans from existence based on some genotype.
Later forced conversion was added. As in, meme-cide. Killing off not genes, but memes. Forcing native north americans to be canadians. Forcing palestinians to be jews. Stuff like that.
And later still the modern definition of culture was used. So not culture as in nation, but culture as in self expression, aesthetic, etc. So we had a left handed genocide, when left handed people were forced to use their right hands in school. And trans genocide, when trans people are forced to not be trans, for example by making it very inconvenient for them to be trans.

People on this forum love to use slippery slope arguments, and this is one example of the slope being very slippery.
From gene, to meme; from cide to convert; from culture to expression; from forced convert to making it inconvenient to express. Each step of the journey can probably be defended by ideologues, but the whole journey itself looks dumb when looked as a whole, equating measuring someone's nose to decide if they live or die with not allowing m2f transsexuals to use price discounts aimed at women.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I was not checking much this thread but how many people here already played for 50+ hours and is ready to write a 50 page essay about why it sucks?
I haven't even played it yet. I'll probably play it when it gets patched and cracked, depending on reviews.
From what I've seen, looks like Assassin's Creed, except with mostly ranged combat. However, posters here said it feels different, so dunno.

Guyz, I think I found one of those 'stochastic terrorists' in Hogwarts...

yIuRCAJ3_o.jpg

stay safe

Avarize

Magister
I actually like the innkeeper being a tranny. I feel like it's done the way it should be. As a rare, strange appearance in what is already a literal definition of a world full of strangeness and oddities. The way she comes on the scene out of the blue in a tense situation reminded me of Twin Peaks from 90'. Hah, back then we didn't even know there were homo sexuals and trannies, it was sooo strange :D

Anyway, she's one of the good guys, she defends the player in a dangerous situation, and she's the only one of her kind in the majority of straight men and women. This is what you'd see in the world out there without social media included. I respect that.
He. 1890s Britain and people refer to a mentally ill man as a she, even when he isn't close by. Totally believable. In a world without social media you'd treat him either as a degenerate or the village loon, who might be somewhat tolerated, but certainly not treated as the gender his delusions make him think he is.

orcinator

Liturgist
Wait, so it plays like Bamham Creed? Well, why wouldn't they use this sort of gameplay for something based on the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody? Just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.
>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

I found her boring, clichéd and over-praised; that said, you have to admit it's really something when kids today go out of their way to purchase a book.
For that alone, i try hard to pretend she doesn't annoy me.
* seen this with my own eyes; a fucking line, outside, made of kids and juvies; for a fucking book.. a book without gore pics, tits, or amurican violence. Now you tell me how often and by how many this has recently been achieved. Some of these kids learned the joy of reading and by now read proper literature. Invaluable.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The kids who went out of their way to purchase Harry Potter are in their 30s now. Kids today don't go out of their way to purchase books.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Anyway, she's one of the good guys, she defends the player in a dangerous situation, and she's the only one of her kind in the majority of straight men and women. This is what you'd see in the world out there without social media included. I respect that.
He. 1890s Britain and people refer to a mentally ill man as a she, even when he isn't close by. Totally believable. In a world without social media you'd treat him either as a degenerate or the village loon, who might be somewhat tolerated, but certainly not treated as the gender his delusions make him think he is.
I don't believe I would, because, you see, after some natural initial bewilderment, I'd actually start to treat that person depending on how they act, behave, or what they did to/for others. As I do with everyone. I can only assume, however, that people from the Victorian era, so well known for their special view of personal freedoms, would like to differ :D

Anyway, I believe that in a fantasy world, "reality" doesn't apply all that much. And I don't say this as a flimsy argument, because we're talking about a world full to the brim with oddities and strangeness. Surely he, she, or whatever we call this person—I'm not picky about this—would fit in with the rest.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I don't believe I would, because, you see, after some natural initial bewilderment, I'd actually start to treat that person depending on how they act, behave, or what they did to/for others. As I do with everyone. I can only assume, however, that people from the Victorian era, so well known for their special view of personal freedoms, would like to differ :D
What does this have anything to do with the person's biological reality

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
You weren't born in the 1800s. It's easy to say that when you were brought up on modern values.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Wait, so it plays like Bamham Creed? Well, why wouldn't they use this sort of gameplay for something based on the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody? Just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.
>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

I think the popularity of the series is entirely down to the fact that at a certain point in the 90s traditionalism and racial pride had eventually become strengst verboten sentiments for middle-class White people. Rowling's mythos came at just the right time for middle-class English folks (and later the White middle class generally, globally) to be able to scratch a cosiness itch and retreat to an echo of a proud England long gone or fast disappearing, with a midwit "ironic" excuse because of the kid's book/fantasy aspect (at a time when the "irony" excuse, though already on its way out by the mid-90s, was still lingeringly valid). It was a form of silent protest that didn't know what it was doing, because if it had articulated what it was doing it would have horrified itself. Similar syndrome on a lower level happens with the popularity of Sherlock Holmes, or period dramas, etc. It's nostalgia for a time when the English (and more broadly, White people) had power in their own countries, and could quietly bask in their collective power and superiority.

As to the popularity in other countries of course that's down to the fond illusion that many foreigners still hold, that England is still somewhat as the traditional image of it has been, instead of a shithole infested with shitskins, which is what it now is.

As an added hook, the series had a sort of "Hitler" equivalent, so the midwits felt they were on familiar ground, with the right attitude having been drummed into their soft heads all their lives by media, Hollywood, etc. - the sense of unity against a supposed absolute evil, that characterized (or is supposed to have characterized) England during WW2, could be indulged in, in a fantasy context, where it can't be indulged in in real life (although the government, revoltingly, tried to hearken back to the Blitz sentiment during the COVID fiasco).

The series has absolutely zero value otherwise, fantasy has been far better done by other writers. (It reminds me of those occasional club-footed attempts by "serious" authors to do s-f.)

And yeah, the films are dull as dishwater.

Last edited:

Gamezor

Learned
I actually like the innkeeper being a tranny. I feel like it's done the way it should be. As a rare, strange appearance in what is already a literal definition of a world full of strangeness and oddities. The way she comes on the scene out of the blue in a tense situation reminded me of Twin Peaks from 90'. Hah, back then we didn't even know there were homo sexuals and trannies, it was sooo strange :D

Watching this thread paid off as I can now unwatch and forget about this game. Honestly I’d rather every wizard be black than this shit.

Sarathiour

Cipher

Anyway, I believe that in a fantasy world, "reality" doesn't apply all that much. And I don't say this as a flimsy argument, because we're talking about a world full to the brim with oddities and strangeness. Surely he, she, or whatever we call this person—I'm not picky about this—would fit in with the rest.
Man, if you need to quote someone, could you at least get the right person ? I have no idea how you mange to fuck up that one, but I've never said that.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I recieved the game. Started playing a few hours. The game has a novelty to it. If you have a good rig, the world looks beautiful. Just walking slowly across hogwarts has its own sense of charm. The music is atmospheric and helps pulls you in despite the toddler level writing.

Regarding the writing and the plot, it is as engaging as listening to an automated answering machine. One could blame the PG 13+ rating, which some will use as an excuse to explain why the writing is bad. But I do not think that is the reason. The writers are just not skilled enough to pull in interesting characters or situations. Their technical department , responsible for crafting the world, ambient sounds, and character animations deserve all the praise.

As in Cyberpunk, you can clearly see traces of lots of cut content that would have made the game a fun, immersion wizard/boarding school experiance despite its low effort writing. You can see that a lot of the features were meant to add immersion to the game similar to RDR2.

For example, it was clear that the House's common rooms were meant to play a larger role, something akin to a staging ground/follower camp were you can go out in adventures or break the law at night. My friend who is a software engineer, decripted the files, and there a lot of unused lines as well for followers that can join you on request. There was also a friendship/Rivalry system as well romances, which was cut entirely from the game for some reason (the lines are unfinished, so they simply cannot be restored by modders).

It is also apparent that at one point there was "foul" system that leads to player detention, were the player is forced to do chores. This was also cut, but the files are still there.

It seems to me the game was intended to be a Rockstar's "Bully" type of game with some rpgs mechanics and choices. But all of that has been gutted out, and what is left is shallow husk. A beautiful husk, but empty. I have no idea if they plan to add the cut features a DLC. The game is doing exceptionally well afterall.

I recommend everyone to pirate it when its cracked, you can get some enjoyment from exploring the school at least,

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Man, if you need to quote someone, could you at least get the right person ? I have no idea how you mange to fuck up that one, but I've never said that.
Go whine to your usual shite-shilling peers where you belong; from now on, I'm thinking of quoting you everywhere just for fun, you scruffy wannabe.

Delterius

Arcane
It seems to me the game was intended to be a Rockstar's "Bully" type of game with some rpgs mechanics and choices. But all of that has been gutted out, and what is left is shallow husk. A beautiful husk, but empty. I have no idea if they plan to add the cut features a DLC. The game is doing exceptionally well afterall.
That's rather unfortunate to hear. If the game can do well regardless of those features then why design for them anyway? Maybe in hogwarts 2.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That's rather unfortunate to hear. If the game can do well regardless of those features then why design for them anyway? Maybe in hogwarts 2.

I think the game did well because of the brand and the hype. Nobody really knew what to expect or how much what was cut.

I am not really a harry potter fan, I only watched the first 3 movies as a kid. I am getting enjoyment out of the game just walking and soaking in all the ambiance. It helps I did not pay for the game and went in with zero expectations. If you have an RTX graphics card, you ought to try it when its cracked. Its RTX is more impressive than cyberpunk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom