Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
do you ever get a broom and the ability to fly around at will? I'm considering playing it just for that if so, amazed how nobody has really done that in an open world fantasy rpg since Morrowind.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
You weren't born in the 1800s.
That cuts both ways.
>He thinks I'm not a 300 year old boomer
Lol
But really though, what I meant is that it's easy to say "I would act like this" when one is using one's current background, as opposed to whatever was normal for the culture at the time. I believe the term is presentism?

Late Bloomer

Scholar
do you ever get a broom and the ability to fly around at will? I'm considering playing it just for that if so, amazed how nobody has really done that in an open world fantasy rpg since Morrowind.

Learn how to install mods and save yourself some money. My goodness.

680x0

Learned
Yeh, you can broom around, fly on various mounts and you can get a turbo speed land manticore thingy.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Pirating this game is wrong not because of the profits WB would lose, but because of the amount of your own time you would waste if you actually play it.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Man, if you need to quote someone, could you at least get the right person ? I have no idea how you mange to fuck up that one, but I've never said that.
Go whine to your usual shite-shilling peers where you belong; from now on, I'm thinking of quoting you everywhere just for fun, you scruffy wannabe.
I'll take this as a confirmation of HP fan being mentally challenged.

Harthwain

Magister
I think the popularity of the series is entirely down to the fact that at a certain point in the 90s traditionalism and racial pride had eventually became strengst verboten sentiments for middle-class White people.
:what:

What "traditionalism" and "racial pride" has to do with Harry Potten (as selling points)? Or do you mean that the books are british and feature white people? If anything, I would rather say that the initial lack of real-life politics was the reason behind the success of the book. Harry Potter was essentially a form of escape from that into the world full of magic and oddities.

"Mudbloods" appear in the second book. The reason why blood politics came to play was because Rowling probably realized she can't make Harry Potter fight solely against Voldemort (who is supposed to be in a very weak state), so she threw in some other "hostile" elements to spice things up. On that note, Death Eaters (as both the term and characters) appear in the fourth book, which is relatively late.

As an added hook, the series had a sort of "Hitler" equivalent [...]
I don't think that "Hitler" was really a hook for anyone. I would go the opposite direction: the elitists are so painfully stupid (with the only non-stupid examples being people who turned on them) that I doubt anyone would want to side or sympathize with them, and this is by design. This is one of the weakest points in the books, in my opinion. But an easy villain makes people (the readers) rally against him, I do agree with this much.

Rowling's mythos came at just the right time for middle-class English folks (and later the White middle class generally, globally) to be able to scratch a cosiness itch and retreat to an echo of a proud England long gone or fast disappearing, with a midwit "ironic" excuse because of the kid's book/fantasy aspect (at a time when the "irony" excuse, though already on its way out by the mid-90s, was still lingeringly valid).
There is an easier explanation: it has magic mixed with the idea that there is another world we don't notice on day-to-day basis. Magic is important, because it can be make-believe, which means unlimited potential and possibilities. The hidden world is cool, because it makes you a part of something special (you're in on a secret) and sort-of explains various anomalies and strange occurrences people can't explain normally.

The series has absolutely zero value otherwise, fantasy has been far better done by other writers. (It reminds me of those occasional club-footed attempts by "serious" authors to do s-f.)
You think Harry Potter has "absolutely zero value"? Try Twillight. Harry Potter has value as a form of entertainment and entertainment has no objective value. If people like something then it has value to them, meaning it sells, therefore gaining objective value in the process. And what makes them interested in something is very subjective.

It may be not the best (or even well done) fantasy even written, but it was written well enough to catch interest of very diverse groups of people, age-wise. Which is quite a feat. I, for one, am not surprised it works well on kids who are of school age: it was written with them in mind and Rowling's own children (if I am not mistaken) helped her write the books to appeal to them even more. What really surprises me is that even people who likely weren't target audience also got interested in Harry Potter.

Arthandas

Prophet
Modders are already doing their best :D
Imagine playing the whole game staring at that juicy ass...

33-1675990008-1998822946.png

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Pirating this game is wrong not because of the profits WB would lose, but because of the amount of your own time you would waste if you actually play it.

It is no less better or worse than Cyberpunk was at lunch. And you modded that game to oblivion so that you can get enjoyment out of it. So why not this, a few years down the line, if the modding scene picks up on it?

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Heh, I would even argue that it is better than CP2077 at lunch just for the reason that it has a transmog system that allows you to play very late 19th centaury wizard fashion while cyberpunk kept pissing in your ear about style over substance and yet the game launched with no way to change even your hairstyle or a transmog and remaind that way for more than a year after lunch.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
if not i dunno wait for the crack.
Still don't understand the assumption that it's worth anyone's time to pirate games that aren't worth playing in the first place.
each download takes money away from game companies we must all do our part
Bah! Not this again..

How did they go from "no transgenders in women's bathrooms" to "trans genocide"?
Dunno wtf is with these transgenders. Trannies used to be transvestites I thought and only transexual reference I could find was corporal Klinger (crossdresser) and the Rocky Horror Picture Show (maybe alien transsexuals or fucking herms). Meh. Can't these crossdressing faggots just suck cock and get their butter creamed without getting the CHOP? They like fucking hormones and implants?
ugh! These wackjobs make no sense.

Don't be queer. Fuck genetical born female women. It is what they are for. Enough of that pointlessness TG crap.

How could you buy this thing when 60 dollars can get you 69 wonderfully incluuuusive indie witch games?

https://itch.io/b/1712/trans-witches-are-witches

I remember when itch.io protest/charity bundles were cheap and had tons of games (even a smattering of decent ones) not just trash and even worse stuff.

They have a 10$ one for others. There are three games missing. One is a computer game and the other two are table top. Both bundles suck more than Saeci's Saturday night cock chugging speed run.

Back to pirating. Nothing wrong with it. yar har har.

Would I buy this game? Maybe $5 sale. $10 is really pushing it.

Will there be DLC add-on? Ha! We'll see.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

The flying is actually one of the best parts of the game. It is fairly intuitive and its a rarity in open world games to be given total flight freedom in this way. Usually there are certain areas or maps for it but other than Hogwarts and the Village you can fly across the entire landscape and never touch grass if you choose to. You will miss a LOT of content that way, but you certainly can if you want.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What really surprises me is that even people who likely weren't target audience also got interested in Harry Potter.

Well that's what I was trying to explain.

You say:-

The hidden world is cool, because it makes you a part of something special (you're in on a secret) and sort-of explains various anomalies and strange occurrences people can't explain normally.

"Various anomalies and strange occurrences that people can't explain normally" is exactly what's been happening to White people in their own countries. They're easily explainable if you know what's going on (the political process is meaningless and the major White countries are largely run by hostile elite oligarchies), but most people don't, they can't even conceive of something so monstrous, and every available outlet assures them everything is fine, so their bafflement is transposed to a realm of magical escapism where they're still special people who belong to something special, as White natives once were, in countries they could call their own.

I suppose you could say that the surprise popularity was due to unconscious compensation for a widespread feeling of alienation.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Modders are already doing their best :D
Imagine playing the whole game staring at that juicy ass...

33-1675990008-1998822946.png

And, like a train that is never late, the majority of the comments section on that mod are some variation of "she's only EIGHTEEN years old you sick fucking pedo!". Because the radical left as much as they are too blinded by ideology to see it are ackshually, the new Puritan Right. They are the very thing they use to rail against which are the moral arbiters of all that is good and proper. Funny how that works, innit?

Blue haired fatties with problem glasses do NOT like looking at tight shapely asses everyone has to be an unfuckable hamplanet like they are.

And, like a train that is never late, the majority of the comments section on that mod are some variation of "she's only EIGHTEEN years old you sick fucking pedo!"
This comments section has been locked by a moderator.

This mod has been reviewed and changes have been made to the page to ensure it is compliant with our site rules, the uploader has been informed.
Damn jannies ruin fun everywhere and they do it for free.

Zlaja

Arcane
How does the choice between nazis, white knights, normies or nerds in the sorting hat affects your gameplay and story?

Apparently, no bloody difference at all when it comes to the gameplay and main quest. And only a single unique sidequest per house. The game would be infinetely more interesting if the choice of a house impacted your journey like it does in say Gothic 2.

gosh darn it that boycott didnt work guys
what now

The whole boycott thing never stood a chance and everyone who wasn't clueless knew that. Also, I bet half of the people who were calling for a boycott were payed by WB 'cause they realized that the whole drama thing was excellent marketing. And seeing people buy the bullshit that click-baiters on Youtube are pushing (that by playing the game you're sticking it to the woke crowd) makes my head hurt.

JK nudes unlockables? In the game?

Unlockable nudes of Rowling would actually make exploring the world worth it.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
"Various anomalies and strange occurrences that people can't explain normally" is exactly what's been happening to White people in their own countries.

I was talking more along the lines of Harry's hair growing back during the night, a jumper shrinking to the size of a handpuppet when she tried to put in on Harry, the disappearing glass in the zoo, etc.

so their bafflement is transposed to a realm of magical escapism where they're still special people who belong to something special, as White natives once were, in countries they could call their own.
:what:

What's with this obsession with the White?

Taking a peek "behind the curtain" (or straight up looking from the inside, after initially being on the outside) has nothing to do with being White™. It's the same thing for the World of Darkness, Matrix, Men in Black, etc. They all share the same thing: something is going on that we usually don't see (but sometimes read/hear about it from a second or third hand/newspaper/TV/conspiracy theory internet site, etc.) and the viewer/player eventually ends up being part of that, while others are still unaware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom