Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Silverfish

Arbiter
It must suck dick being just young enough to have an opinion either way on Harry Potter and why the series was successful.

*Laughs in Goosebumps*

Harthwain

Magister
It must suck dick being just young enough to have an opinion either way on Harry Potter and why the series was successful.
No, not really. Trying to shame(?) people just because they read Harry Potter is peculiar behavior in and of itself. It's a book. People read it. People can discuss it. It's as simple as that. But I guess some people want to appear like hipsters for some reason, even though not reading a book is not a sign of nobility. It just makes you a guy who didn't read a book and thinks himself superior because of that. Like I said - a peculiar behavior.

*Laughs in Goosebumps*
Huh, I liked these series. I didn't expect them to be mentioned, ever.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Can you make casting magic any less cool than in the HP universe?
The incantations are already extremely cringe, but the worst part are the little sticks everyone is using.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
the reasons for the odd popularity of the book franchise back in the day
there's nothing odd about it
it's a, for the most part, competently written children's mystery book set in a magical boarding school
the entire premise is inherently appealing to pre-teens

then the author got lucky and the book became a best-seller in england
then she was also lucky to release the book at a time when one of the hottest issues of european public education systems was having kids fucking read books
so the books got included in school reading programs
which led to further success
success that resulted in a movie adaptation
and the movie was a smash hit, which further inflated her success to essentially world wide popularity
then she was smart enough to recognize that the bulk of her audience were teenagers and first books more childish tone wouldn't be as "engaging" with them
so from books 4 to 7, she shifted to a more teenager soap-operas style (while keeping the fundamental appeal of mystery set in magical highschool)
thereby not only retaining that main audience that "grew" with the first book, but also expanding her setting's appeal to teenagers in general
I think this is more or less right, but the timeline is wonky. The books had gotten popular overseas before there were any movies. I've never read any of them because I wasn't terribly interested in reading what I considered to be a children's book, but I know several adults who read them and got really into the series and were excited about the upcoming movie, etc.

I also remember getting dragged out to some sort of midnight release of one of the books (based on the date, it must have been the Deathly Hallows), which I thought was stupid, because the girl I was seeing loved them and I loved her tits, so obviously I wanted to stand in line at night with a bunch of dorks who were into children's literature. ... It was totally worth it though. :smug:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Time to chase the dragon?

Maybe you'll catch that great feeling of magic playing this game eh? Right?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
-watches video of endless spam dashes and rolls-

-no actual fighting against dragon despite being label a boss fight-

:hmmm:

Silverfish

Arbiter
No, not really. Trying to shame(?) people just because they read Harry Potter is peculiar behavior in and of itself. It's a book. People read it. People can discuss it. It's as simple as that. But I guess some people want to appear like hipsters for some reason, even though not reading a book is not a sign of nobility. It just makes you a guy who didn't read a book and thinks himself superior because of that. Like I said - a peculiar behavior.

"You wouldn't want to make fun of me. That's peculiar and makes you look like a hipster." Nice try, Mrs. Rowling.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!

giphy.gif

Sarathiour

Cipher
Again, it's nostalgia for lost power, lost specialness, etc., etc., as I've said, a reflection of alienation in a world that's no longer your own, and retreat into a fantasy world that is.
It's far from being the only product with such thematic. Moorcock never hide the parallels he draws between Melniboné and the UK, and the same goes for Wh40k. I'm sure some people more versed than me in English pop-culture could find more example.
Hell, even Warren Ellis made an acerb critic of globalism with the transmetropolitan in the late 90, even though he tipped his fedora pretty hard the last decade (which ironically did not prevent him from being cancelled due to made-up accusation).

HP is absolutely scratching the same itch, even though it was probably not an entirely conscious act from Rowling, and the setting written for kids.

I think the popularity of the series is entirely down to the fact that at a certain point in the 90s traditionalism and racial pride had eventually become strengst verboten sentiments for middle-class White people. Rowling's mythos came at just the right time for middle-class English folks (and later the White middle class generally, globally) to be able to scratch a cosiness itch and retreat to an echo of a proud England long gone or fast disappearing, with a midwit "ironic" excuse because of the kid's book/fantasy aspect (at a time when the "irony" excuse, though already on its way out by the mid-90s, was still lingeringly valid). It was a form of silent protest that didn't know what it was doing, because if it had articulated what it was doing it would have horrified itself.
Very on point analysis, thank you :salute:
For example, it was clear that the House's common rooms were meant to play a larger role, something akin to a staging ground/follower camp were you can go out in adventures or break the law at night. My friend who is a software engineer, decripted the files, and there a lot of unused lines as well for followers that can join you on request. There was also a friendship/Rivalry system as well romances, which was cut entirely from the game for some reason (the lines are unfinished, so they simply cannot be restored by modders).
Damn, that's such a disappointment. They could have made twice the game they released in the end. Its honestly worse like this than if they never planned those features in first place.
I usually don't watch his videos, but this is spot on.

Dunkey has had a significant change in style around 2017. From edgy but acute criticism to normie friendly wholesomeness with "ubisoft sucks, am i right?" cheap safe critique on top. A case study of how circumstance can change a man, because that was the time he got happily married.
And, like a train that is never late, the majority of the comments section on that mod are some variation of "she's only EIGHTEEN years old you sick fucking pedo!".
The age of consent is on average around 15 in the western world, so thats twice as absurd.
Harry Potter is a traditionalist flagship
Okay when did this become a fucking thing?
When the overton window shift was locked, so around 2012-14. Due to that there's little point in noting that 'conservatives used to rally against it', right now the only thing in common is the name.
For the first time ever, public opinion turns against nasty old men creeping on "technically legal" girls. And of course they must all be leftists, because they're saying something I don't like! :lol:
Your mental image of what's going on here is a bit dated. Atlantic culture right now sees any interest young men show towards women as inherently suspicious, and looks for ways to leverage that against them. It has nothing to do with nasty old men, unfortunately.

"For the first time ever" is slightly laughable as well. Was it ever okay, in your lifetime, to be an old creep?

It boils down to what gurugeorge was saying: the actual ruling ideas are so nasty, that well-meaning people just ignore them and try to attribute more comprehensible intentions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom