Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Ryzer

Arcane
:what:

What "traditionalism" and "racial pride" has to do with Harry Potten (as selling points)? Or do you mean that the books are british and feature white people? If anything, I would rather say that the initial lack of real-life politics was the reason behind the success of the book. Harry Potter was essentially a form of escape from that into the world full of magic and oddities.
I'm sure Harry Potter would have been as much popular if it had taken place in Ouagadougou instead of traditional England.

Delterius

Arcane
i remember when right wingers in britain used to admonish JK Rowling for 'presenting an oversimplified good vs evil worldview where you're either a liberal or worse than voldemort'

time flies

Last edited:

Hagashager

Educated
i remember when right wingers in britain used to admonish JK Rowling for presenting an oversimplified good vs evil worldview where you're either a liberal or worse than voldemort

time flies
The irony is that "Liberal" in this case still represents a world of magical Übermensches who maintain a draconian and racist hierarchy in which pure-blooded Übermensches are regarded as superior to mixed-race magic users who are *all* superior to non-human but still sentient creatures which they enslave as chattle.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Yeah, what is it about this game that every female character looks like trash?

Is that just an accurate description of what zoomers look like now?

Also

Harry Potter is a traditionalist flagship

Okay when did this become a fucking thing?

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
i remember when right wingers in britain used to admonish JK Rowling for presenting an oversimplified good vs evil worldview where you're either a liberal or worse than voldemort

time flies
Stuff about Harry Potter
It had very little to do with the books and more to do with a vague sense that Voldemort's policies of ethnic cleansing was a stand-in for non cosmopolitan non liberal people, ie conservative anti migrant activists. It took years and the internet for readers to notice and start talking about the injustices within Harry Potter's world. But the books always sold the second class nature of goblins and the enslavement of the elves as wacky whimsical things more than anything. The books also never had any pretense of 'dealing' with said injustices in a narrative sense.

The world doesn't stop spinning however and since lefties are the ones who think that the HP universe is fundamentally unjust those same conservatives make the point that, actually, Harry Potter is a traditionalist flagship and a cry out for good old and white England. Which comes across as massive copium given all the rage against the game's marketing and how Hogwarts is filled with kids from the colonies.

Last edited:

GloomFrost

Arcane
In the meantime the mod that makes main character skin whiter became the most popular on Nexus. Man oh man this game just keeps on delivering. What an unexpected entertainment it turned out to be.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
"Various anomalies and strange occurrences that people can't explain normally" is exactly what's been happening to White people in their own countries.

I was talking more along the lines of Harry's hair growing back during the night, a jumper shrinking to the size of a handpuppet when she tried to put in on Harry, the disappearing glass in the zoo, etc.

And I'm talking about unasked-for, top-down imposed mass immigration, nigger crime through the roof, major cities being minority native British, the political system being unresponsive and seemingly hostile to the natives and their wishes, etc.

so their bafflement is transposed to a realm of magical escapism where they're still special people who belong to something special, as White natives once were, in countries they could call their own.
:what:

What's with this obsession with the White?

Taking a peek "behind the curtain" (or straight up looking from the inside, after initially being on the outside) has nothing to do with being White™. It's the same thing for the World of Darkness, Matrix, Men in Black, etc. They all share the same thing: something is going on that we usually don't see (but sometimes read/hear about it from a second or third hand/newspaper/TV/conspiracy theory internet site, etc.) and the viewer/player eventually ends up being part of that, while others are still unaware.

But the setting is very, very English, it totally reeks of the author's own middle-class upbringing, and her love/hate relationship with it. I'm using "White" as the general term, obviously "English" or "British" would be the more specific term, but since the series was a widespread success among European and European-derived middle-classes worldwide, "White" is also the relevant term. (The series' popularity with foreigners I accounted for earlier.)

Again, it's nostalgia for lost power, lost specialness, etc., etc., as I've said, a reflection of alienation in a world that's no longer your own, and retreat into a fantasy world that is. It's not that difficult to understand. The 90s were the last gasp of the older manners and mores of England, Britain, etc., and the beginnings of the triumph of neoliberalism, and the subordination of European and European-derived nation states to globalism. There was a sort of analogous Ghost Dance phenomenon with "Cool Britannia," New Labour and that whole cultural thing at the time too (Labour won their great landslide in the year that the first book was published), a kind of nostalgia for a fast-disappearing England.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
And, like a train that is never late, the majority of the comments section on that mod are some variation of "she's only EIGHTEEN years old you sick fucking pedo!"
This comments section has been locked by a moderator.

This mod has been reviewed and changes have been made to the page to ensure it is compliant with our site rules, the uploader has been informed.
Damn jannies ruin fun everywhere and they do it for free.

I have the original version of the mod downloaded before the nexus trannies removed it. In case anyone needs it. anyway, here is a few screenshots from my game. Its mostly ultra/high settings. I am using a 3060, and FPS has been between 50 -60. Whatever I don't really care about FPS. I used to play games at 15 and 20 FPS when I was young and I used to think that was normal.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If you liked Toussaint blood & wine vistas in the W3 then you will really love the vistas and ambience here.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
And I'm talking about unasked-for, top-down imposed mass immigration, nigger crime through the roof, major cities being minority native British, the political system being unresponsive and seemingly hostile to the natives and their wishes, etc.
not-pol.png

Taurist

Scholar
Unusual that you have to play such a killer in this game. Well, not so unusual in terms of current year developers, but the HP novels have a pretty clear message that murder is wrong and damaging to the soul. Even playing as the good guy you seem to kill more people than Voldemort within the first 5 hours. The Batman games found a way around this by just having you knock people out, you kill people by shrinking them down and squishing them with your boot. For poaching.
Can modern developers not make a game about killing people? The early 2000’s games had you collecting jellybeans and cards and things. A total lack of creativity, or I suppose, more likely an inability to be creative.

If a Dune game was made today it would be an open world Assced game or a fist person shooter, rather than a genre defining strategy game.

not-pol.png
Aye, he spake of the origins of 'Harry Potter' and its popularity, upon which this 'game' was based. What of it? This thread is filled with irrelevant posts about transsexuals and now you suddenly take issue, when it gets closer to the topic at hand?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
that's cool and all
but the thing is
I haven't been following this thread
and that is one of the first completely off-topic posts i've read here

How is it off-topic? I was discussing what I think are some of the reasons for the odd popularity of the book franchise back in the day, the comment you quoted has context going back a few posts. (It's impossible to ignore political context with the game as well, for that matter, since it's been attacked on political grounds.)

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah, what is it about this game that every female character looks like trash?

Is that just an accurate description of what zoomers look like now?

Also

Harry Potter is a traditionalist flagship

Okay when did this become a fucking thing?
Nah its just they are doing their best to absolutely offend no one, so no sexualization of any character, imagine one being too attractive and then the bam ! the game become pedo bait. No romances of course 15 years old teens are angels with as much sexuality as the average codexer: none. No religion, nothing that could possibly trigger anyone. They have to cope with both the USA classic puritanism and the woke agenda with diversity quota as well at the same time, not an easy task.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Ahhhh shit, the glock mods are coming in! Sooner than expected too!

Unusual that you have to play such a killer in this game. Well, not so unusual in terms of current year developers, but the HP novels have a pretty clear message that murder is wrong and damaging to the soul. Even playing as the good guy you seem to kill more people than Voldemort within the first 5 hours. The Batman games found a way around this by just having you knock people out, you kill people by shrinking them down and squishing them with your boot. For poaching.
Can modern developers not make a game about killing people? The early 2000’s games had you collecting jellybeans and cards and things. A total lack of creativity, or I suppose, more likely an inability to be creative.

If a Dune game was made today it would be an open world Assced game or a fist person shooter, rather than a genre defining strategy game.

There is some real blue and orange morality in modern video games.

Old games had you mowing down hundreds of henchmen because they were faceless bad guys.

Modern games try to give you "hard moral choices" that just equate to sheer stupidity half the time.

Semiurge

Cipher
Modders are already doing their best :D
Imagine playing the whole game staring at that juicy ass...

33-1675990008-1998822946.png

And, like a train that is never late, the majority of the comments section on that mod are some variation of "she's only EIGHTEEN years old you sick fucking pedo!". Because the radical left as much as they are too blinded by ideology to see it are ackshually, the new Puritan Right. They are the very thing they use to rail against which are the moral arbiters of all that is good and proper. Funny how that works, innit?

Blue haired fatties with problem glasses do NOT like looking at tight shapely asses everyone has to be an unfuckable hamplanet like they are.

Nexusmods is lost. The administration has embraced woke a long time ago. The troons and leftie activists now enjoy their protection, and the comments reflect their smugness. There are few things more loathsome than these popular-kid bullies that rely on a cadre of simping supporters who will silence you because what you're saying upsets the womenfolk. These queen bees will openly identify themselves as female/gay/trans/poc/all of the aforementioned even when it's irrelevant, and use this identity as a shield against all criticism, and as means to trigger knee-jerking in the tard wranglers. They are false, powehungry parasites.

Hogwarts will be removed from Nexus, soon. Mark my words.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
the reasons for the odd popularity of the book franchise back in the day
there's nothing odd about it
it's a, for the most part, competently written children's mystery book set in a magical boarding school
the entire premise is inherently appealing to pre-teens

then the author got lucky and the book became a best-seller in england
then she was also lucky to release the book at a time when one of the hottest issues of european public education systems was having kids fucking read books
so the books got included in school reading programs
which led to further success
success that resulted in a movie adaptation
and the movie was a smash hit, which further inflated her success to essentially world wide popularity
then she was smart enough to recognize that the bulk of her audience were teenagers and first books more childish tone wouldn't be as "engaging" with them
so from books 4 to 7, she shifted to a more teenager soap-operas style (while keeping the fundamental appeal of mystery set in magical highschool)
thereby not only retaining that main audience that "grew" with the first book, but also expanding her setting's appeal to teenagers in general

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And, like a train that is never late, the majority of the comments section on that mod are some variation of "she's only EIGHTEEN years old you sick fucking pedo!". Because the radical left as much as they are too blinded by ideology to see it are ackshually, the new Puritan Right. They are the very thing they use to rail against which are the moral arbiters of all that is good and proper. Funny how that works, innit?
For the first time ever, public opinion turns against nasty old men creeping on "technically legal" girls. And of course they must all be leftists, because they're saying something I don't like! :lol:

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
I'm sure Harry Potter would have been as much popular if it had taken place in Ouagadougou instead of traditional England.
That's a non-argument. Plenty of books take/took place in "traditional England" and have exclusively white people, but they don't get nearly as popular. So I doubt that's the reason behind Harry Potter's success.

The world doesn't stop spinning however and since lefties are the ones who think that the HP universe is fundamentally unjust those same conservatives make the point that, actually, Harry Potter is a traditionalist flagship and a cry out for good old and white England. Which comes across as massive copium given all the rage against the game's marketing and how Hogwarts is filled with kids from the colonies.
Yeah. There is a lot of copium on both sides of the argument, which is ironic.

OK. Then we don't talk about the same thing then. Because none of that was part of Harry Potter nor its hidden world.

But the setting is very, very English, it totally reeks of the author's own middle-class upbringing, and her love/hate relationship with it. I'm using "White" as the general term, obviously "English" or "British" would be the more specific term, but since the series was a widespread success among European and European-derived middle-classes worldwide, "White" is also the relevant term. (The series' popularity with foreigners I accounted for earlier.)
OK, the setting is very British. But, as you yourself noticed, Harry Potter was also a widespread success outside of Great Britain. I would compare it to James Bond: it is British and it is very popular world-wide. But, again, I doubt it is because of the reasons you're talking about, so the reasons for its popularity has to be elsewhere.

Again, it's nostalgia for lost power, lost specialness, etc., etc., as I've said, a reflection of alienation in a world that's no longer your own, and retreat into a fantasy world that is. It's not that difficult to understand.
It is, actually, not just difficult to understand. It is straight up astonishing. "LOST power"? "LOST specialness"? More like "Kid, you can be a wizard too!". "There is something special/magical in this world!". People like that, because their normal life is boring. Harry Potter was a new world, in a sense, and it was interesting to explore. This easily applies to literally everyone, which is why Harry Potter was also hugely popular among the non-British and the adults (who, by the way, could've been interested because their kids were interested).

there's nothing odd about it it's a, for the most part, competently written children's mystery book set in a magical boarding school the entire premise is inherently appealing to pre-teens

then the author got lucky and the book became a best-seller in england then she was also lucky to release the book at a time when one of the hottest issues of european public education systems was having kids fucking read books so the books got included in school reading programs which led to further success
Pretty much what this guys is saying, but I want to add one point from myself.

I remember one interesting thing about reading the description, back when the book was a fresh release and not yet considered a bestseller. It was something along the lines "If you think in this day and game children don't read book, then it may mean you're a Muggle!". Which is a pretty clever, because it begs the question "What's a Muggle?", so it got you curious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom