Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hollow Knight

HansDampf

Arcane
I'm playing through HK again and wanted to see all the "new" content. Can't believe it's been almost 4 years. My first playthrough was before the Grimm Troupe was added. Or it was released while I was playing? I don't remember.

First I have to mention the Enraged Guardian, which I was so afraid of before in my steel soul playthrough and fought very late with a bazillion masks, pure nail, Quick Focus + Shape of Unn, or something like that. This time, I was surprised how easy this fight is, even without the Shade Cloak. Like, just don't touch the lasers? Not sure why I was so worried back then. Only because he deals 2 masks of damage. Meh.

Path of Pain: This does highlight a problem I've always had with wall-jumps. The knight grabs the wall later than it appears. Maybe it has something to do with how the graphics are drawn. He always goes a few pixels into the wall before he grabs it. Even after many hours of playtime, I still sometimes make the mistake of pressing jump a frame too early and slide off. Most of the platforming in this game is forgiving, so it doesn't matter much. But it's fatal and annoying in the Path of Pain. Otherwise, this is a mild platforming challenge compared to Celeste or Super Meat Boy. And you get infinite soul, so it's fair.

Grimm Troupe: Looks like typical tacked on content. Repeat the same dumb fetch quest 3 times, then fight a boss that feels like it was ripped out of a different game, both graphically and gameplay wise. And it's not a particularly interesting boss. Sure, his attacks are overwhelming when you fight him the first time. But after you've learned how to handle each of them, it's boring. It's like I could write a script to beat him. If he does A, then I do B. Repeat 40 times until he's dead.
It doesn't seem to be connected to the main story either. This would have been a completely forgettable quest if the boss hadn't been so hard.

Godhome: This is something I was missing in HK. Fight harder versions of old bosses, mixed with some new bosses, boss rushes, and even a new optional ending? I've spent a lot of time in the Hall of Gods and got radiant grades for about half of the bosses. Don't feel like going for more because it does get a bit grindy.
But I wanted to clear all the pantheons and see the new ending. Now I'm at the last one and seem to have lost all motivation to even make an attempt (haven't touched the game for 4 days), even though I've practiced Grimm and Pure Vessel enough that I'm confident I will get to Absolute Radiance. I fully expect to die to her the first time though, and then practice the fight in the Hall of Gods. So I'd have to play through the entire pantheon at least twice. That's 45 minutes of mostly trivial fights before you get to Pure Vessel and Radiance. 45 minutes!
:nocountryforshitposters: What were they thinking?
But I remember Radiance to be one of the more interesting fights and am curious how difficult Absolute Radiance turns out to be. Unlike with Grimm, you always have to deal with multiple random attacks simultaneously (spikes on the ground, lasers, homing orbs with random spawn locations, etc.), and the arena keeps changing with each phase. So I can't just run a mindless AI script in my brain to beat her. Maybe I will try it this weekend.

lightbane

Arcane
Yep, the White Palace IMO is awful because the little Knight is not meant for precise platforming, he's too clunky and slow compared to Ori from the Ori games, for example.
The DLCs are... A mixed bag as you say. The Troupe stands out too much, while the Pantheon is meant for masochists. I recommend watching the new end and the pantheons on Youtube, they're not worth the hassle.

Visperas

Augur
Do we even have a general Metroidvania thread in the codex? Silksong can't come soon enough but there's a few cool looking metroidvanias coming soon. I'm pretty hyped for Aeternia Noctis, for example.

Yeah, Dread is really good, but Hollow Knight is the best Metroidvania I’ve ever played by a significant margin.

Edit: Hollow Knight is also significantly larger in scope.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Finished the game, 40 hours and 61% progress.

Very good, though all the main ideas are "borrowed" from Dark Souls and nothing to spend currency on.

final.jpg

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
imagine thinking that the megascrublord that is the hollow knight is the actual final boss

Cunt Dickula!?

It's more like in Symphony of the Night, Bloodstained or Sekiro.
You have missed a chunk of the content and haven't fought the real boss (even lore wise).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom