Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hot Dragons & Dirty Dungeons for free

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
http://www.ddo.com

DDO is now free to play...well not really they charge you $$$ as soon as you want to play e.g. a drow.

It's all pretty extreme as demonstrated by this EXTREEEEEEEEEMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TRAILOROORORORORRORORRO:
http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/09/09/ ... n-eberron/

Obviously playing dungeons & dragons is so fucking metal and downright raucous that chances are your parents won't understand, man.

Thelanis

Michael Ellis

Scholar
Project: Eternity
I was in DDO in 2007 and just jumped back in to check things out. At level 2 and just arrived at Stormreach from the noob island. Anyone else playing?

Zeus

Cipher
Yeah, I am. MMO's aren't really my thing, but I like the "DM" narration. Hearing the sights, sounds and smells described to you is really fun.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm playing. This is the best MMO I've ever played, amazingly enough. Probably because it's the least-MMO-like. It's more like a fancypants NWN persistent world server, and that's ok with me. The game sure as hell doesn't NEW SHIT D&D, the DM narration is done in a cheesy voice and the NPCs seem suitably tongue in cheek, it seems to know that it's nerdy and is enjoying it. Combat's fast, even faster than NWN I'd say, and that's a good thing for an MMO. All the classes seem useful and can be customized fairly well. It seems to be running a modified super-powered version of 3rd edition, which since it's a combat heavy dungeon crawling MMO, go for it.

Actually getting dangerously tempted to spend money on it. I'll definitely keep playing and see what I think once I get past newbie island.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Yeah. I've been playing a little bit. Mangoose Mangina on Cannith (the new server).

Join me, because soloing as a Wizard is NOT fun.

Edit: And I believe the stuff you need to "buy" can be also bought through favor points earned in game. Not really a big deal, there's enough customization with the 3.5E rules, but I guess if you REALLY want to play a Monk.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, I'm not really sure how favor points translate into funnymoney for the in-game store, but you do get some. I'm at 125 Turbine Points, and I've gotten two characters to level 2. If you really want to be horrible about it you could just keep making characters and farming points and restarting, but it would be a massive amount of time for little benefit. Maybe someone will make a botting program for farming points.

Edit: Not just the classes, there are a lot of adventure packs for sale too. Those are the biggies. Then every 4 levels you need a "Leveling sigil" which you can either buy with points, or find while questing if you're lucky.

Multi-headed Cow

Waddlor/Araraoraoglongestservernamestartswithana dwarf cleric.

Other character/Cannith human fighter that I only play with my buddy because we're a team.

EDIT COMBO BONUS: Oh yeah, and clerics seem to be the best for soloing. Only tried fighter and cleric thus far obviously, but the cleric has a much much easier time of it. I suppose paladins might have a similarly easy time if they get lots of mana like the cleric.

Multi-headed Cow

Mostly to see if I can. And you can use the hirelings to help pad your party.

Multi-headed Cow

phanboy_iv said:
Hated every MMO I've tried up until this one. It's really quite fun, and beats out its main competitor Guild Wars on several fronts.
God, yes. I really wanted to like Guild Wars, but I can't bring myself to play it. Only thing it did particularly well was the PvP, and since the rest of the game was so dull I didn't really get into that much either.

ElectricOtter

I'm pleasantly surprised by the good reviews. I will give this a try tomorrow.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Hümmelgümpf said:
I heard it's free only for US. Truth/bullshit?

The EU version is still pay to play. Didn't try to download the US client and make an account there, so I am not sure if there is a check and the ping you'd get in the case that you can join.

Morkar Left

I think it´s dependent on your country and the translation. In Germany you can only play subscription based if you want the game in german. The distributer in Germany is codemasters and not Turbine. I hope they want to adapt the free play system.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Ah ok, that would be it, I'm in Spain but playing the game in english.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
English version of the European site still says that it's pay to play. Guess EU can register for US servers though.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, since it doesn't ask for credit card info you should be able to just bullshit a US account.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Actually it seems to ask for little info at creation: only your name, email and password.

Downloading the game now. I hope ping will be acceptable from the EU.

Edit: so when I can create a character, what server should I chose?

Multi-headed Cow

Cannith is apparently the new one, just recently created. As far as I know it doesn't matter, but that one should have fewer high level fancy pants raider types and more newbies leveling up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom