Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you store your loot in RPGs - pack rat behavior

Dorateen

Arcane
On a tile, a safe square on a proper grid-based cRPG map. And mark down the coordinates. In Wizardry 7, dumped all excess items in a cell in New City.

laclongquan

Arcane
Megaton's player house. There's enough containers there to sort my loots into categories.
Goodsprings' alley between Saloon and General Store. Craft benches there with those moveable crates. This is temporary/early place until we can get to Novac for our motel room.
Later on we can have our safehouses but they all a bit too distant from convenient nearby shops. The Lucky 38 suite is a bit too ghostly for my taste.

I generally dont do putting loots on the ground like Morrowind. Just containers to sort my loots into categories is good enough.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
After you play packrat or in lieu you should play the fucking fast & furious SPEED & KILL ASAP game where you don’t breathe relief but live on the fucking edge. And if no perm mode…. Then wipe your party if you die. Quit playing it safe….

YOU’RE DEAD OR A FUCKING HERO!

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
Well there's no doubt that my playstyle would not make for a very interesting live stream, compared to yours.

Welcome, welcome, to my Let's Play of Might & Magic 6, where I will spend the next 20 minute sorting through my inventory and stash them in some treasure chest in a already cleaned out dungeon.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There was a damn fat dude in his Shroud of the Avatar streams where he did that shit. Gah!

std::namespace

in underrail expansion i was dropping heaps on the floor
cause the inveotry system is trashtier

ds

Cipher
Patron
Guys, I have a confession to make:
2023-12-26-020323.jpg

Didn't end up using most of the stuff of course.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I carry as little as possible. Inventories tend to be clunky and boring, so the less there is to manage the better.

Zlaja

Arcane
In Morrowind I keep all my books and unique items in Caius Cosades' home

Eww...that place has AIDS. Why not break into one of the other empty houses in Balmora and claim it as your own? That's what I usually do. Either that, or break into one of the empty cool huts in Ald'ruhn.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Games more recently have taken to giving you specific stash boxes where you can store all your crap, a development of which I thoroughly approve.

I hate carrying a huge inventory around - I like to have only stuff I will need in the actual inventory - but I too suffer from "might need this later" demi-autism. Like, when I first played BG3 recently I stored one of every item of clutter just in case I might, e.g., need a fork for a puzzle or something ... :)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Asceticism is underrated in RPGs. It's liberating to reject material wealth and to focus instead on developing one's self.

If your followers want to carry all that shit, well, that's fine, though.

nobre

Cipher
My loot-hoarding habit has gotten so bad I need to store shit outside the game.

Just Locus

Educated
I usually level up my "strength" attribute and I'm prone to kleptomania and hoard things that I usually don't need (which is strange since IRL I can rarely sit in a room that isn't highly organized and containing objects that should only be there) - I have this revelation at random times during a playthrough and just dump loads of items that I've never/rarely used lol.

Although usually when playing on higher difficulties, I'll essentially self-restrict and never pick up high-weight items regardless of monetary/strategic value, without removing something else from my inventory, assuming the game doesn't already have a carry weight penalty whether it be on higher difficulties or a specific mode.

__scribbles__

Educated
Usually some random chest or room I write down on a piece of paper. Unless it's Ultima Underworld. Then I carry around a thousand bags, because not many other games let you do that.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
hoard everything until it becomes an encumbrance, then fret over what i'll have to dispose of. bonus points if i get to sort the inventory by weight, so i can toss out those six +1 breastplates (each weighing ~40lb) i've been lugging about since the last time i had to do this. this is especially prevalent where the party shares weight of items as a whole (i.e. pathfinder). in older rpgs where there's not sorting and no limit, gods help me if i need to find a fucking unremarkable key amongst the morningstars and bardiches.

got my blood pressure raising just thinking about this.

:shredder:

getting mods to make the containers all able to hold infinity in the elder scrolls games and then collecting all the things and sorting them by type...my terraria base holy shit each goddamned block had it's own gold chest with a little plaque above it that held what the chest contained...yeah i might have a problem fuck you.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Might & Magic 6, where I will spend the next 20 minute sorting through my inventory and stash them in some treasure chest in a already cleaned out dungeon.
Except for satisfying a personal fetish (which btw is a perfectly valid reason) I hardly see the point of storing shit in MM6. Out of curiosity, did you ever use some of your stored items later on ?

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice

Lonely Vazdru:​

In MM6 of course I do. I store mostly weapons and armor with powerful elemental enchantements , to use for different set of monsters.
In addition to elemental stuff, I keep enough weapons that deal x2 damage to dragons (to clear dragonsand) and x2 to devils (for the final area).
And to double all that: one set of melee weapons for everybody, one set of bows for everybody.
And then there's all the status blocking accessories, to keep for the appropriate area (sleep vs genies, disease vs devils, insanity vs beholders/liches/sorcerers)

And in MM7, in addition to that, you need to store all the spellbooks that you can't read right now and saving for later.

In Betrayal at Krondor, I mostly stash arrows, spells for Patrus, and weapon enhancements.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
I remember TOEE having an extraplanar chest where you could store your items.
Pretty cool. You can summon and unsummon it.
There's also this spell:
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Secret_Chest

In Ultima Underworld 2, one of the plot points is exactly that: a bunch of wizards in a mage school stored all their loot in a pocket of extraplanar dimension. To uncover it is one of the hardest puzzle in the game.
One of the (many) rewards is an axe that deals AOE damage every hit. You need fire immunity to use it effectively, but once you do, it's awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom