Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime How is the spanish translation of Planescape: Torment?

damicore

Augur
I generally tend to try to read the book/watch the movie/play the game in its original language if able but I read somewhere that the spanish translation was quite good and having recently played a VERY GOOD english translation of a japanese game I thought I should ask. I'm actually playing it in english already.
Lately it just feels like i'm consuming too much shit in english and I'm sort of striving to get better at my native language for numerous reasons. It's too bad the spanish translation is in Spain's spanish, though.
Translating also requires writing skills and, although rare, there are cases in which the translation has its own charm.

Muchas gracias amigos! Siempre que uno escribe en su idioma natal en un foro angloparlante el español suena un tanto robótico. Es una situación medio surreal.

deuxhero

Arcane
English is a pretty easy language once you learn how the logic goes and automate it. Same shit goes for every other language - it's hard to get shit 'in the box' when you've just started.

English is HIGHLY illogical, all the rules have more exceptions than they have examples. The only thing that is really sane about it is that use of gender is mostly restricted to 3rd person pronouns and loan words (most commonly suffixes).

How close to Finland are you?

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

English is a pretty easy language once you learn how the logic goes and automate it. Same shit goes for every other language - it's hard to get shit 'in the box' when you've just started.

English is HIGHLY illogical, all the rules have more exceptions than they have examples. The only thing that is really sane about it is that use of gender is mostly restricted to 3rd person pronouns and loan words (most commonly suffixes).

How close to Finland are you?
I live pretty close. A bit south from there.

As for languages:
When I learned English, I followed the specific rules:
- When you speak English right, it sounds right.
- When you speak English wrong, it sounds awkward.
- Follow the usual 'default' logic and handle out the exceptions.
- Listen and try to understand.

It wasn't easy, but it was better than 'by the book' lessons. I still remember that I knew English worse than anyone from my class when I was graduating from school, but that was quite long ago, fortunately.
Now I'm trying to find specific rules for German language.

Where are you from, deuxhero?

deuxhero

Arcane
Florida, though I see they finally finished redoing the congressional districts, so I'm no longer the 24th.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Florida, though I see they finally finished redoing the congressional districts, so I'm no longer the 24th.
And I'm currently stuck with Skyway sitting somewhere in the neighborhood for the last couple of years.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'll tell you are the first non-native speaker I've seen who doesn't find English stupid (I am a native speaker and I know it's really stupid, especially when written).

palmito

Educated
zwanzig_zwoelf, you don't understand this. In Spain (not speak for South America) translates everything. There are very few original content (or subtitled) and the education system has never helped.

JUAJUA por eso sudamérica es mejor. Vemos las series en ingles y subtituladas en español, y jamás traducidas por un gallego trucho que aprendió ingles con algún cursito de verano.

meme-exito-openenglish.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf

I'll tell you are the first non-native speaker I've seen who doesn't find English stupid (I am a native speaker and I know it's really stupid, especially when written).
I find English language rather easy and simple to learn, but rather hard to give a proper impression in writing. If writers in some 'emotional games' are trying to touch the strings - they fail miserably. Original Deus Ex is the only game from my experience that managed to get that totally right.

Or I'll give you a more local example - it's hard to distinguish whether a person is simply having fun or a real idiot.

deuxhero

Arcane
Nah, it's just that trying to evoke emotion for the sake of evoking emotion is only done by shitty writers who are too shitty to actually write it well.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Nah, it's just that trying to evoke emotion for the sake of evoking emotion is only done by shitty writers who are too shitty to actually write it well.
Kinda agree with you after reading some rather good books in English, but still - it's not so easy.
For example, as far as translation theme goes, an old buddy from Russia always told me that a lot of good Russian books are screwed up, when translated to English, due to the low amount of words designed for the specified meaning. I'm not that good in Russian to check if that's true, unfortunately.

NUEVA VIDA

PONTOS DE PERSONAJE

CLASSE DE ARMADURA

PONTOS DE GOLPE

(why is it called "Hit Points", anyway? But "Health Points" gets translated as PONTOS DE SAÚDE, which makes it sound like your character has a cold)

Never understood why people would ask for a translation rather than invest some time into learning. Spend some years with learning and practicising, then enjoy.
Or eat fanmade shit until you die.

"Come on man, why don't you just spend a few years learning a new language? It's not that hard"

Psquit

Arcane
Just go with the original thing... Hitting on ravel with a spanish translation is going to be awkward.

El unico juego que pude jugar en español es el Grim Fandango.

Pretty good if you ask me.

I needed a eng dictionary while playing PST the first time. And it was worth it. Since OP can already have a basic conv in eng, its better imo, to play pst in eng. And I wager the spanish translation isnt spain spanish either...but the latin spanish. So op will not meet his goal to improve in native language.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I needed a eng dictionary while playing PST the first time. And it was worth it. Since OP can already have a basic conv in eng, its better imo, to play pst in eng. And I wager the spanish translation isnt spain spanish either...but the latin spanish. So op will not meet his goal to improve in native language.

It follows the Spanish official 2ed Planescape translation by Ediciones Zinco. I personally don't like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom