Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

how many jrpgs have you finished?

???

• zero. none zilch. zip. nada.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2-5

• 6-10

• 11-20

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 21-50

• >50

• Total voters

DriacKin

Arbiter
asper said:
None, but I played Chrono Trigger and Anachronox almost up to the end.

Strident jRPG haters should try both those games by the way.

Most Codexians are jRPG haters... and loved Anachronox. It's definitely one of Codex 's favorite RPGs

Let's see what I can remember:

Dragon Quest 1-5
Final Fantasy 1,3,4,6,7, Mystic Quest, Legend 1-3, Tactics
Pokemon Red
Golden Sun
Phantasy Star 1-4, Online Original Quest
Front Mission 1,3,4
Suikoden
Sword of Vermillion
Vay
Dragon Slayer
Exile
Ys 1
Disgaea
Arc the Lad
Skies of Arcadia
Super Robot Taisen 3, Original Generation 1 and 2
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Dragon Force
Grandia 2
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
Vandal Hearts
Kings Field
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Chrono Trigger
Shining Soul 1-2
Golden Sun
Zone of the Enders Fist of Mars
All the Metroidvania Castlevania series (Symphony of the Night-Order of Ecclesia)
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Valkyrie Profile
Cosmic Fantasy 2

Well, those are the ones I remember completing anyhow...

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I've started quite a few, but actually finish?

My HUGE finished list:

Final Fantasy VII

That's it.

JRPGs I stopped playing at the final encounter:

Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
(once I got to the end I put it down, and later on couldn't be bothered seeing the end of either)

JRPGs I am at least half way through and intend to finish one day:

Suikoden V
Dragon Quest 8

There are numerous ones that a have played a few hours into. Several of these I intend to play more of (e.g. Disgaea), but most I find I get bored with pretty quickly.

Dragon Quest 8 is a strange one, because it seems so simple at times that it should be boring, and it seems so cutesy sometimes that it is nauseating, yet I find myself coming back to it time and time again and enjoying it in small snippets. I should really just invest the time and get stuck into it.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Dark Spire
Dragon Quest 8

I don't really play that many, I'll only look into one if I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I really enjoyed SMT: Nocturne. There are others I hate in varying degrees, but Nocturne, in my humble liberal jew opinion, is actually a very fine game.

Catalina

Scholar
Bahamut Lagoon
Breath of Fire II
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Earthbound
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X (this is the entry I'm most embarassed by)
Final Fantasy X-2
Koudelka
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Magic Knight Rayearth (SS)
Mother 3
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Suikoden I
Suikoden II
Suikoden III
Shenmue (guess that counts)
Super Mario RPG

My list of "jrpg's quit at the 75% mark is much longer, though".

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Monocause said:
This thread made me realise one thing.

The only jRPG I've played and finished was Final Fantasy VIII. I was thirteen at the time and thought the game was amazing, got incredibly attached to the characters, found the combat to be pretty intense.

:lol: you MUST elaborate. This we have to read. Seriously, wtf.

squall.jpg
: (Why is she acting like that?)

watcher.jpg
: SHE WANTS TO FUCK YOU

squall.jpg
: (Hmmm, why my teacher asking me out?)

watcher.jpg
: She wants your DICK. In her VAGINA.

squall.jpg
: (Is she hot?)

watcher.jpg
: Are you gay?

squall.jpg
: (Oh look, some gal wants to dance me with me)

watcher.jpg
: No, I don't want this chick!

squall.jpg
: (Too late, we're dancing. ITS FUN!)

watcher.jpg
: FFFFUUUUUUUU----

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
.hack//G.U. Vol. 1
G.U. Vol. 2
G.u. vol. 3
.hack//Infection
//Mutation (Started to play the third volume, but gave up on it due to it being shitty)
Albert Odyssey (Saturn)
Arc the Lad
Arc the Lad II
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
BoF 3
BoF 4
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Dual Orb 2
Earthbound
Earthbound 3
Final Fantasy 1
FF3
FF4
FF6
FF7
FF8
FF9
FF10
Front Mission 1
Front Mission 3
Grandia
Grandia 2
Growlanser 2
Growlanser 3
Growlanser 5
Kingdom Hearts (Played the second one, but hated it)
Koudelka
La Pucelle: Tactics
Legend of the Dragoon
Lufia 2
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
Magic Knight Rayearth (SNES)
Okage: Shadow King
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Persona 3: FES
Persona 4
Radiata Stories
Riviera
Rogue Galaxy
Romancing Saga 3
Robotrek
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Shadow Hearts 1
SH 2
SH 3
Shadowrun
Star Ocean
Star Ocean 2
Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2
Suikoden 3
Suikoden 4
Suikoden Tactics
Suikoden 5
Super Mario RPG
Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden
Tales of Phantasia (SNES & PSX)
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Threads of Fate
Treasure Hunter G
Valkyrie Profile
Vanguard Bandits
Wild ARMS 2
Wild ARMS 4
Wozz
Xenogears
Xenosaga Ep 1 (Played halfway through ep.2 but gave up on it due to it being shit, never bothered with ep.3)

I'm probably forgetting a few.

RK47 said:
Monocause said:
This thread made me realise one thing.

The only jRPG I've played and finished was Final Fantasy VIII. I was thirteen at the time and thought the game was amazing, got incredibly attached to the characters, found the combat to be pretty intense.

:lol: you MUST elaborate. This we have to read. Seriously, wtf.

squall.jpg
: (Why is she acting like that?)

watcher.jpg
: SHE WANTS TO FUCK YOU

squall.jpg
: (Hmmm, why my teacher asking me out?)

watcher.jpg
: She wants your DICK. In her VAGINA.

squall.jpg
: (Is she hot?)

watcher.jpg
: Are you gay?

squall.jpg
: (Oh look, some gal wants to dance me with me)

watcher.jpg
: No, I don't want this chick!

squall.jpg
: (Too late, we're dancing. ITS FUN!)

watcher.jpg
: FFFFUUUUUUUU----

Shit, Quistis was the only good thing about that turd of a game.

Shadowrun isn't a JRPG.

I've finished FF7, 8, 10 and 12, Chrono Trigger, various Pokemon games, Golden Sun, Tales of Symphonia, Secret of Mana, Grandia 2, Front Mission 1 and 3 and Paper Mario TTYD.

MetalCraze

Arcane
FF8. I wanted to see what the fuss is all about. It turned out to be a collection of cutscenes. And ridiculously stupid ones. I can't understand what people find in Chrono Trigger - it's probably one of the most retarded jrpgs out there.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
JrK said:
Lufia II...

Though I enjoy the good jrpgs, I never finish them. Usually get bored halfway through.

Why I finished Lufia? I have no idea.

Also, I'm not sure if Secret Of Mana/Evermore is in the same category as Final Fantasy/Lufia, but I finished those SNES titles, too.

Devadatta

Novice
MetalCraze said:
FF8. I wanted to see what the fuss is all about. It turned out to be a collection of cutscenes. And ridiculously stupid ones.
Were you really not impressed by the art direction (the only saving grace about the game)?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
lol, i simply couldn't stand using the guardian force while doing the random encounters, fucking things take so long to cast and unskippable. It gets ridiculous when you get those late game GF taht took half a minute to finish summoning.

Crawfish

Novice
I've probably started a couple dozen JRPGs over the years, but so far as I can recall I've only ever finished the following four:

Chrono Trigger (Nintendo DS version).

I have no idea why this game is as popular as it is. I picked up a copy of the DS remake due to its consistent high scores. I only finished it due to my temporary lack of PC gaming capability, since my PC had croaked a week or two before. Truly awful characters coupled with a simple and unchallenging combat system. I will have to admit that I did appreciate that some of the quests required players to put a bit of thought into how they'd solve them via altering things in the past.

Star Ocean IV: The Last Hope (XBox 360).

I actually really liked this game, I'm not going to lie. I'm a huge sucker for space operas, and the combat system was a lot of fun. The plot was rubbish and the characters were childish anime-tripe, but I still had a blast.

Enchanted Arms (XBox 360).

The reason I stuck with this game until the end was that I liked that a JRPG attempted at least some minimal degree of change in their combat system. The combat system offered a grid, where character positioning came into play. Each attack or spell from both the player and enemy side had a different pattern of effect. While vastly simpler, it reminded me slightly of chess, in that a player had to consider what positions they could move their characters into in which they could threaten various enemy squares with their big attacks, while not being reciprocally threatened.

Dark Spire (Nintendo DS).

I'm not sure whether this title should even be categorized as a JRPG. It is an RPG from a Japanese developer, but it's a pure clone of the early Wizardries. I loved the artwork, the danger, and what little writing there was. The combat system could have used more complexity, some of the quest solutions seemed pretty random, and I would have liked a bit more depth to the story, but overall it was a nice bit of nostalgia.

I am currently playing another JRPG, Persona 4 on the Playstation 2, so maybe that will eventually make it onto the list. I really like that the game is a modern-day murder mystery, rather than the typical high fantasy fare. It does a lot of railroading over your use of time, however, so it's quite possible I'll give up on it before reaching the end.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
RK47 said:
lol, i simply couldn't stand using the guardian force while doing the random encounters, fucking things take so long to cast and unskippable. It gets ridiculous when you get those late game GF taht took half a minute to finish summoning.

But there was GAMEPLAY in them! You had to repeatedly press teh X button to reach maximum powah! Isn't that AWESOME??

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
MetalCraze said:
FF8. I wanted to see what the fuss is all about. It turned out to be a collection of cutscenes. And ridiculously stupid ones. I can't understand what people find in Chrono Trigger - it's probably one of the most retarded jrpgs out there.

They grew up with it. People really like games they grew up with, and are willing to look past flaws.

I bet you may have liked it a lot too, if you had played it aged ~12, and would still speak highly of it because of the fun times (and great music back then) you associate with it.

(That said, I do think CT has good gameplay and pretty art and fine music, even nowadays, but of course, I cannot be objective, I grew up with games like that, and hence can't help but like them, for the most part.)

--

Also, add Pokemon Red to the list.
Yeah. :(

CreamyBlood

Arcane
The last console I played was an Intellivision. So none I guess.

Don't know if there are PC versions of JRPG's but although I recognize many on the titles listed I've never played any.

Except for Anachronox, which I played for several hours but kept running into a game crashing bug.

Someone mentioned Fable which I played through the tutorial and up to the first Boss monster (the thing that smashes the ground), then gave up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom