Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many of you played Prelude to Darkness?

Have you played and completed PtD?

• Completed multiple times

• Completed once

• Played and abandoned

• Currently doing the first playthrough

• Never played but I plan to

• Never played, never will (I'm a big Starfield fan though)

• What is PtD? (I'm retarded)

Results are only viewable after voting.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
What a pleb.

Beat the game twice in 1.8, haven’t gotten around to test the new build, mostly because, I think, it’s based on an earlier version of the game that lacks some updates that came with 1.7 and 1.8. Is that correct Tramboi asfasdf or did I get it wrong? I should play it sooner than later tho.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What a pleb.

Beat the game twice in 1.8, haven’t gotten around to test the new build, mostly because, I think, it’s based on an earlier version of the game that lacks some updates that came with 1.7 and 1.8. Is that correct Tramboi asfasdf or did I get it wrong? I should play it sooner than later tho.
It's basically a patch over 1.8.

Modron

Arcane
The devs only dropped the source for 1.5 yes but correct me if I am wrong but I believe Tramboi and alfalfa reproduced the quality of life improvements and the miniscule content the later patches added.

Edit: or as much of them as they could identify, not all the change notes were preserved for posterity.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
That was the only gripe I had, and seems it was based on a misunderstanding. Awesome, can’t wait to have a free day to kill with this!

One comment in case anyone’s reading with the idea of modding out the Papyrus font with something better: don’t even try, that road leads through suffering to nowhere.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Starded it a long time ago; thing crashed on me several times, so I just uninstalled it and moved on. I've known about the more stable versions for a while, though; maybe it is time for a reinstall.

Litmanen

Educated
This thread (and all the other I have now read) convinced me to play this game.

Do you know how long it is? In this period I'm more in a mood for "short" (30/40h, main + sidequests) games.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Do you know how long it is? In this period I'm more in a mood for "short" (30/40h, main + sidequests) games.
I'd say the game is more like 15-25h long?

Though it depends how many side quests you do. Main storyline isn't long. Anyway, if you feel later that you want to rush it you can refer to the walkthrough, but if you loved Arcanum or original Fallouts you will have a blast playing and wish it is longer. It just takes 2-3 hours to get accustomed to it (kinda like Arcanum or Fallout tbh, when you play them the first time).

Litmanen

Educated

Though it depends how many side quests you do. Main storyline isn't long. Anyway, if you feel later that you want to rush it you can refer to the walkthrough, but if you loved Arcanum or original Fallouts you will have a blast playing and wish it is longer. It just takes 2-3 hours to get accustomed to it (kinda like Arcanum or Fallout tbh, when you play them the first time).
Thank you for the answer.

Yes, I loved Arcanum, Fallout 1&2 and all their brothers, sisters and children. Prelude to Darkness is clunky, at best, in it's UI and controls in general, but it's not that hard to understand how it works. Yesterday I started (played 10 minutes at best) and I've already desire to go back.

I've also downloaded the source from github to give it a try (especially to fix the text overlapping box-borders and "not found" in answer to some entries), but I'm still too much a beginner to make something useful.

Konjad

Patron

Yes, I loved Arcanum, Fallout 1&2 and all their brothers, sisters and children. Prelude to Darkness is clunky, at best, in it's UI and controls in general, but it's not that hard to understand how it works. Yesterday I started (played 10 minutes at best) and I've already desire to go back.

I've also downloaded the source from github to give it a try (especially to fix the text overlapping box-borders and "not found" in answer to some entries), but I'm still too much a beginner to make something useful.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/prelude-to-darkness-collection.143003/

Check "Installation instructions for Windows version 2.12 (with Fowyr's fix included):"
Just follow that instruction and you will have everything you need to run the game patched.

Litmanen

Educated

Check "Installation instructions for Windows version 2.12 (with Fowyr's fix included):"
Just follow that instruction and you will have everything you need to run the game patched.
Thank you! I did it already and it's very nice what you all have done. But there are still some bugs (you already know that) and textual glitches in the "dictionary". I was trying to tackle them, but It's too much for me now.

You were talking about a walkthrough (for quests and similar). Where do I find it? I've looked anywhere

Konjad

Patron

Thank you! I did it already and it's very nice what you all have done. But there are still some bugs (you already know that) and textual glitches in the "dictionary". I was trying to tackle them, but It's too much for me now.

You were talking about a walkthrough (for quests and similar). Where do I find it? I've looked anywhere

The "Official walkthrough:" part.

Litmanen

Educated

The "Official walkthrough:" part.
I'm dumb. I have seen (and also posted in) the thread and I forgot there was the walkthrough there. Thank you

Litmanen

Educated
I'm in Land's End.

So, the Inventory is a mess (and often leads to crashes).
The camera is shitty at best (and leads to crashes).
The UI is chaos (and leads to crashes)
The encounter system is funny but bugged: if you stay on a place for sometime (I was distributing things from a loot) the place can suddenly became "a place of an ancient battle". But for the previous 5 minutes there was nothing (so, it means that the encounter mechanics refresh every X minutes and can be funny/dumb at moments).
To loot after a battle is shitty (and maybe leads to crashes).
The journal is a mess (but doesn't lead to crashes).
The skill system is nice.
The music is very evocative and I love it.
The graphics are shitty also for 2002.

To call it "a rough gem" would be utterly underestimate the mess in it and the load of crashes you have (I set the autosave every 2 minutes to be safe) since it has been absolutely published with several months of work still to do.

It's half of a game. And, for those who love it anyway, I would suggest to never anymore complain about a buggy game nowadays.

But it holds together somehow.

I don't know why, it holds together. You can see there were wonderful ideas and mechanics. And you love it somehow. At least for now.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
If you’re playing the latest version, document the bugs and post them so that the mod-devs can fix them.

Litmanen

Educated
If you’re playing the latest version, document the bugs and post them so that the mod-devs can fix them.
I was trying to report one, but I cannot find the savegames. Where is (normally) the folder? (In the other thread there is less activity, that's why I ask here. Then I will post the bug there)

Plus: is it normal that I have no intro movie or screen, nor nothing? It goes directly to the menu "Load, Option Quit"

Konjad

Patron
I was trying to report one, but I cannot find the savegames. Where is (normally) the folder? (In the other thread there is less activity, that's why I ask here. Then I will post the bug there)

Plus: is it normal that I have no intro movie or screen, nor nothing? It goes directly to the menu "Load, Option Quit"
I don't have the game installed atm, but have you checked usual places for savegames?
- my documents
- C:\users\[name]\appdata
- C:\programdata

Doc Sportello

Learned
Patron
The saves are in the installation folder as far as I can see, they have the .gam file extension and are named save1, save2 and so on.

:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom