Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How much of a Dungeons and Dragons nerd are you?

Johannes

Arcane

Also what's knowing Manticore got to do with D&D
That's the next thing from asking what a dragon is

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Good point. I should have made it something more esoteric, but the vast majority of classic D&D monsters are based on mythology.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I got 39 and I have never played tabletop DnD. I have only played and finished the IE D&D CRPGs + played (but not finished) a few oldies and ToEE.

Alchemist

Arcane
Good point. I should have made it something more esoteric, but the vast majority of classic D&D monsters are based on mythology.

The AD&D Fiend Folio is a good source of strange D&D-only creatures. Featuring such gems as the Flumph:
Flumph.JPG

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Question: original character sheet paper color -- was like an aqua/medical/light teal-ish green, yes?

I'm talking the original AD&D NPC Character Sheets from TSR, and they were a very odd color of orange, half-sheets only. I'll never forget them.

A user named cat

Only scored a 28.

I used to make fun of the kind of people who played DnD (and mostly everyone else), then I met Planescape and felt warm inside. Closest to tabletop I ever played was buying that Hero Quest board game but never bothering to learn the rules, if that even remotely counts.

Alex

Arcane

Some dumb things there, like the rules books question... why having just the three core books already gives maximum points?

Well, I guess because that is all you need to play?

By the way, I thought it was stupid that the rogue takes points aways while the monk is one of the classes that is worth most.

86 even though I've only ever played D&D PC RPGs. Lots of points from incidental things.

I dunno. If you can finish any D&D-based RPG, that means you didn't keep making new parties until you got tired of the game. Is that really worth more points?
Anyone who has created an entire D&D party instead of selecting a pre-made one probably deserves 5 points or so.

By the way, I thought it was stupid that the rogue takes points aways while the monk is one of the classes that is worth most.

Quite silly considering that no one but the biggest noobs would want to play monks.

There should be a +15 for having your favourite class be some obscure prestige class from the non-core rulebooks

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

You know, I often thought that there was no way my brand of humor was too subtle for Codex, and frankly, that one was a very straight shot, but now I begin to wonder. I'll spell it out for you; why not? A rogue is a character class strictly from the new, popamole D&D versions and, as such, if it's your favorite class, you're not nearly as much a grognard and therefore aren't nearly as much of a D&D nerd. Get it?

Oh, and JarlFrank or Ulminati, I don't think this thread belongs here in the Gazebo. Its content clearly spans from PnP to PC gaming, thereby belonging instead in General Gaming, which is where I created it and where I'd prefer it to be. Please move back.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Indeed. No idea who moved the thread to the gazebo, as the quiz is clearly designed to determine if you are old; not if you're a nerd.

Alex

Arcane

You know, I often thought that there was no way my brand of humor was too subtle for Codex, and frankly, that one was a very straight shot, but now I begin to wonder. I'll spell it out for you; why not? A rogue is a character class strictly from the new, popamole D&D versions and, as such, if it's your favorite class, you're not nearly as much a grognard and therefore aren't nearly as much of a D&D nerd. Get it?
(snip...)

I was going to point out that, while he did come later in the Greyhawk supplement, the paladin and the monk came later still. Then I noticed you are making a distinction between rogue and thief. What is a rogue in this context, Crispy? Is it a thief subclass? I thought they were just different names for the same thing, but I guess I jumped to conclusions. I still think the M-U should be worth more points than the Monk, though.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
What is a rogue in this context, Crispy? Is it a thief subclass? I thought they were just different names for the same thing, but I guess I jumped to conclusions.

I see you really aren't up on your D&D history.

The rogue was a politically-correct replacement for what was previously, and for many years, called a thief. The thief class in AD&D included a sub-class known as assassin, which was also unceremoniously dumped, presumably due to a reaction of concerned moms everywhere. "Oh my God, 'assassin'?!? Johnny, you can't play this game!" Monk was also included with thief and assassin on the classic AD&D character sheets; they were all closely related back then, mainly due to the way their skillsets were similar in nature.

Many other things were changed to water down the previously glorious Gygax-led rules and content, such as the change from demons and devils to whatever they're called now, but the whole rogue thing was probably the most egregious and ridiculous of them all.

Alex

Arcane
What is a rogue in this context, Crispy? Is it a thief subclass? I thought they were just different names for the same thing, but I guess I jumped to conclusions.

I see you really aren't up on your D&D history.

The rogue was a politically-correct replacement for what was previously, and for many years, called a thief. The thief class in AD&D included a sub-class known as assassin, which was also unceremoniously dumped, presumably due to a reaction of concerned moms everywhere. "Oh my God, 'assassin'?!? Johnny, you can't play this game!" Monk was also included with thief and assassin on the classic AD&D character sheets; they were all closely related back then, mainly due to the way their skillsets were similar in nature.

(snip...)

Well, I figured it was just another name change, like Magic User to Wizard.

(...snip)

Why did I have to explain all that?

Well, because you made the thread, of course!

Turjan

Arcane
Many other things were changed to water down the previously glorious Gygax-led rules and content, such as the change from demons and devils to whatever they're called now, but the whole rogue thing was probably the most egregious and ridiculous of them all.
Demons and devils change all the time. They made their return with 3e, but now it's a bit more blurry again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom